Author Topic: Does It Scar?  (Read 857 times)

Morrolan

Does It Scar?
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
For the last five years or so, I've been using a consistent pattern for by characters in terms of what scars and how much.

Each time I take a wound that goes over a certain threshold, I make a note of it on a spreadsheet. Then when I have time, I add appropriate scars. Here's the chart I've been using, for characters with around 100 HP's. Note that this is per hit, not total or total per location.

DamageSeverityScar
1-5-no scar
6-8xmaybe light scar
9-15xxpale, faint-looking scar
16-22xxxpuffy line of scarred tissue
23-29xxxxlong, jagged-looking scar
30-54xxxxxpitted, deep-looking scar
55+xxxxxxSerious injury/loss

This isn't a hard and fast rule, even for me. It's a role-playing aid, designed to add a little more flavor to the character and get me away from shaking off serious wounds. Each character usually starts as a blank canvas, and I work from there.

With the new "new" scars, I need to make some decisions. If the new scar is pretty terrible, I start it as a red scar and after a game year I fade it to a faded scar. And I had to arbitrarily decide that only the worst level of scar will show.

You see that last row, with "Serious injury/loss"? That's when my characters start losing fingers, eyes, ears, hands, etc. Because brutal, terrible things happen sometimes.

[If you're wondering where scars come from, head to a quit-safe room and type "change locdesc" -- it's a great new feature.]
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Feco

Re: Does It Scar?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »
That's awesome that you do that!

Personally, I save scarring for really nasty injuries -- times when I almost get killed.  Then I'll find a scar that seems appropriate for the creature/weapon that did the wounding.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

650Booger

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
a few days in the byn will have you lookin like freddy krueger
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Jihelu

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »
So basically, if you ever sparred with a dwarf or high strength human you're ugly.
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

Exen44

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 03:16:58 PM »

This.

Although this is a pretty interesting concept and I myself basically do the same Feco does when it comes to injuries while doing other minor scars here and there when I consider it appropriate.
"I sexually identify as depression. That way I have an active sex life because I keep fucking everyone."
-Me, 2017.

Melkor

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »

+1

It is interesting, and I will add an appropriate scar when I have a near-death experience, but to add a scar based on damage like that, You will run out of scar locations before you know it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »
The problem with adding scars is that if you followed any kind of "damage severity" model for applying them, a week in a combat clan is going to fill up all your scar slots (or just make you face look like Freddie Kruger).

My personal rule is two fold

1) If playing an active combat character, assume you are picking up a lot of scars, nicks, blemishes and blots one would expect from being routinely smacked in the face with wooden sticks. I don't find this remarkable, but I think mention of them goes very well in the mdesc as how your character generally looks. Just like an unblemished description can suggest a pampered or non-action lifestyle, a scarred or well-worn character's description gives suggestion of their past or present job.

2) If I get taken down beneath the regenerating threshhold in a non-sparring incident, I'll add an appropriate scar. If I take a frightening or other high-value wound that doesn't drop me below regeneration (it's happened) I'll still probably add some sort of scar for commemoration.

My goal is to use locdesc scars are mementos or trophies of traumatic events, not just to convey my general scarred-up nature. Anything in a locdesc slot should be remarkable. Remarkable to look at, remarkable to remember, remarkable to talk about. Anything unremarkable can go in the mdesc.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Morrolan

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »

Lazy me, I don't count sparring weapons. Realistic? Meh.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

QuillDipper

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 03:40:38 AM »
I just add tiny scars here and there depending on how long a character has been part of a combat clan. Big scars, I usually play by which specific incidents a character needs to heal up from. If I take a major injury and find myself roleplaying the recovery period for longer than my HP going up I feel it deserves a scar. This varies from taking an unexpectedly nasty hit during sparring to near-death experiences.
Part-Time Internets Lady

Hauwke

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 07:35:31 AM »
I also add in things like limps and such, one character I had got attacked by a raptor pack, oddly I was struck a few times in the leg all at once, so for several rl months I played a character with minor scarring but a mild limp to top it off. If the pc had been wearing heavier armor? Eh probably just hurt like fuck.

Lizzie

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
My combat-based characters usually have some variation of "is peppered lightly with random scars on any visible skin" built into the mdesc.
After significant injury, I might add a tdesc to reflect that she feels like shit that week, or has a bit of a limp. If I remember I set a tdesc, I'll also remember to remove it after a few RL days (which reflects a few game-weeks of healing).
If the injury is significant enough to have lasting effects beyond the inclusion in the "peppered with random scars" mdesc line, I'll add a coded scar to the location.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
Can you add location scars in game?
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

whitt

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 06:03:54 PM »
Can you add location scars in game?

Yep. Yep.

Code: [Select]
help change locdescs

Change Locdescs                                                    (Gameplay)

Change locdescs moves your character to a room where you can add scars
to your character's location descriptions.  The message sent to the room
when you do this is the same as if you had quit out of the game.  When
you are done adding scars you type 'leave' to return to the in-character
world and the message sent to the room is the same as if you were entering
the game.

Syntax:
   change locdescs

Example:
   > change locdescs

See also:
   change, locdescs
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Hauwke

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 07:51:25 PM »
There are quite a few scars to choose from, ranging from fresh ones to old and faded ones as well as prosthetics I think?

Synthesis

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
Meh, if you play any kind of combat-oriented character around Allanak, eventually you'd be nothing but a mass of scars if you used the proposed model.

Scrabs routinely roll high enough strength to inflict 30+ damage even through the best available mundane armor, and there is essentially no defensive capability that I've observed that is good enough to 100% prevent a scrab from pinching you once in awhile--even when your weapon skill, parry, and shield use are maxed out with high agility.

Add to that the fact that once you hit jman in a weapon skill, the only things that will give you weapon skill failures are also usually very strong, so the minimum average single hit will be 15+ damage, and you'll have to eat hundreds, if not thousands of those hits over time just to branch a single weapon skill.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.