Phone hot spot?

Started by Refugee, March 19, 2017, 11:11:36 AM

Do any of you play using your phone for a hot spot?  Do you find it adequate?  Big combat RPTs go just fine?  How much data do you use up playing an hour?

It seems to me that, being a text game, we shouldn't be talking about a big strain, but I'm not sure what all gets passed back and forth.

It depends on the strength of your connection.

I'm right at the outside edge of my local 4G coverage, so my phone will flip back and forth between 4G and 3G, and every time it does, it hangs and I have to reconnect.

Otherwise, the bandwidth is vastly more than you need for Armageddon.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

One year when I was traveling for my summer job, I used my mobile hotspot for lots of things, including DotA and Mud.  It was more reliable than the internet company there.  It's good, as long as you have a data plan.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Thanks for the comments so far, it's reassuring.

How much data would you estimate you'd use in playing per hour?  I shouldn't think much.

Quote from: Refugee on March 19, 2017, 12:45:04 PM

How much data would you estimate you'd use in playing per hour?  I shouldn't think much.

A very minimal amount since Armageddon is mostly just text.

A whole day of Armageddon probably wouldn't even come close to watching a 2 minutes video.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on March 19, 2017, 12:48:23 PM
Quote from: Refugee on March 19, 2017, 12:45:04 PM

A very minimal amount since Armageddon is mostly just text.

A whole day of Armageddon probably wouldn't even come close to watching a 2 minutes video.

This.  It takes almost no data for arm, the extra bandwidth comes from the activities I tend to do while playing arm, i.e. streaming music.

Minimal data plan if you're only going to use it for arm and arm alone.  Cheapest plan available.  But if you have other things to do off of it, get more.  I'm sure this is a profound and deep thought, that you need more data if you're doing other things.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

8)

We're moving from two jobs in a big city where I've had broadband since 2000, to living on social security and a small pension on 10 remote acres that doesn't even have power lines to the cabin yet (that should happen in 2-3 weeks thankfully, you wouldn't believe how long we have worked to get that done!).  I'm very happy and excited for this new phase in my life, but priorities will have to be set.  I would like to keep Armageddon though!

Dawn off my porch:

That looks amazing, very nice.

I used to use 400 mb of phone data a month back when I was playing on just that data, and I played super heavy amounts. Almost unhealthy amounts of time.

Take from that what you will.

Quote from: seidhr on March 19, 2017, 02:42:09 PM
That looks amazing, very nice.
Thank you, Seidhr.  A dream 40 years in the making.

you better parcel some of that off for me whaaaat
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on March 19, 2017, 11:19:43 PM
you better parcel some of that off for me whaaaat

;)

I have plans for every inch!  10 acres isn't much but it's all we could afford to pay cash for and still have money for the cabin and the work that needed doing.  And the cow, pigs, rabbits, and chickens, and all they need.  Going into retirement poor but debt free!  Feels like freedom.

God no, I could not play Armageddon on my phone. I have to use a keyboard, I'm way too slow at typing on my phone.
No shade and zero profit.

Quote from: Exen44 on March 21, 2017, 04:40:23 PM
God no, I could not play Armageddon on my phone. I have to use a keyboard, I'm way too slow at typing on my phone.

Same. Text messages already take waaaaay too long to type.

No no.  Using the phone for a hot spot for my desktop to connect through.

Oh, well I've never had any need for that so I dunno.

I've never had issues using a hotspot for gaming as long as I have a good connection.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I don't think I'd ever use a hotspot for Armageddon on the off chance that it disconnects me in the middle of something important and maybe get me killed. That'd piss me off.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies!