Travoise

Started by Melkor, March 17, 2017, 10:44:15 AM

I would definitely like to see a coded travoise or two in game. Both for wearing, and for mounts.

For those who dont know:

QuoteA travois (Canadian French, from French travail, a frame for restraining horses; also obsolete travoy or travoise) is a historical frame structure that was used by indigenous peoples, notably the Plains Indians of North America, to drag loads over land.

I've made them when camping/hunting alone. They are insanely helpful for carrying loads. I definitely think Zalanthans would have thought of this simple way of carrying heavy loads with less effort during their travels.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

March 17, 2017, 11:57:28 AM #1 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:01:26 PM by 650Booger
codedly, how would this function?  basically just like a big bag?  (we already have large bags, and when they get too heavy, you drag them)

would it make it easier for a pedestrian to carry extremely heavy loads?

what would happen if you were attacked while pulling this thing?

*edit* I'm not opposed to the idea, just curious about the above points.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

March 17, 2017, 01:03:58 PM #2 Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:38:28 PM by Melkor
I would consider it like a wearable(pack mount)/equippable (etwo) container, that bags or large items would be strapped to.
I would have it ease the load of the carried weight due to leverage.
No weapons can be equipped while carrying it. It is dropped in the event of combat.

I see grebbers hauling their take back to the city using one of these. I see tribal hunters dragging some large shells/hides on these.
Not everybody wants/needs/can afford a pack mount.

I would like this too. Do you know any figures for reduction in "load" ?
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/travois-game-drag/

has a good article about it, including the physics.

Very interesting, and legitimate.
I used a travoise to drag a 110lb wild sow (hog) a couple of miles after a bow hunt. WAY better than fireman-carrying it, I swear.

Would be pretty easy to code too.

Make a travoise a mount template with high strength and agility to fit many items, but have movement points at 0 and of such a small size, it cannot be mounted by anything. Give it nosave subdue, so people would need to subdue it to carry it around. For some reason subduing doesnt seem to be affected by the weight of the subduee, so even a weak pc would be able to drag the travois around. Pack it, subdue it, move it, unpack it. Done deal.

Quote from: Dar on March 17, 2017, 02:29:24 PM
Would be pretty easy to code too.

Make a travoise a mount template with high strength and agility to fit many items, but have movement points at 0 and of such a small size, it cannot be mounted by anything. Give it nosave subdue, so people would need to subdue it to carry it around. For some reason subduing doesnt seem to be affected by the weight of the subduee, so even a weak pc would be able to drag the travois around. Pack it, subdue it, move it, unpack it. Done deal.

Sounds pretty clean to me.

It would be better if it still weighed something, if you mean subduees weigh nothing? Otherwise elves would cheat.

Quote from: solera on March 17, 2017, 03:44:39 PM
It would be better if it still weighed something, if you mean subduees weigh nothing? Otherwise elves would cheat.

I agree. Depending on the size of the travoise, (the length of the poles [levers]) only a portion of the weight would be negated through leverage.

It's not that your 'subduing' of it wouldn't cost stamina. Subduing someone AND dragging them already costs stamina, so having added extra weight is basically meaningless. Just give the 'mob' lower strength so it can carry a significant amount, but not tonnes. Enough to keep your weight light while you haul back a shitload of salt or something.

I'd never use one of these. Walking around with something subdued, as opposed to using a pack mount and having a weapon out, is just asking to get one-hitted by (insert nasty surprise here).

Zalanthas is too deadly for this stuff.

mastercraft idea maybe?
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Akaramu on March 23, 2017, 05:19:00 PM
I'd never use one of these. Walking around with something subdued, as opposed to using a pack mount and having a weapon out, is just asking to get one-hitted by (insert nasty surprise here).

Zalanthas is too deadly for this stuff.

Then maybe the subdue code was a bad idea. Perhaps it should just be coded as a large bag (with a code that drastically offsets the weight of objects within) that gets dropped immediately once engaged in combat.

I get that you wouldnt, because you have the resources to buy a pack mount, or the experience to get the resources to buy a pack mount; but this does not apply to all npcs, vnpcs, or character concepts. How many thousands of Zalanthans could never in their lives hope to afford a mount?

You also cannot enter certain buildings with the mount.

Personally I dont know what's worse. Walking around armed, but with unbelievably heavy. Or walking around unarmed. Both are dangerous. Best alternative is walking around with someone else covering you.

Coded  right and having  a good  cost offset compared to buying a mount; it would a nice transition before your character has enough coins to get a beetle.   It seems like it would be a calculated risk rather than something far to dangerous to use.  If you are going to be carrying around bags full of stuff, then this seems it could be an efficient way to do so.  Elves would also benefit from something like this since they don't ride. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on March 24, 2017, 12:46:25 PM
Coded  right and having  a good  cost offset compared to buying a mount; it would a nice transition before your character has enough coins to get a beetle.   It seems like it would be a calculated risk rather than something far to dangerous to use.  If you are going to be carrying around bags full of stuff, then this seems it could be an efficient way to do so.  Elves would also benefit from something like this since they don't ride.

+1

Is there still not a like button on this forum?

*sigh*
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Hey bud! Thanks for the bump on this awesome primitive tech.

Could just make it a mount that has the carrying capacity for a few bags/packs, but not enough to actually carry a person. Not unlike an erdlu. Then you drag it via hitch (really just leading it).

Should also make it immune to various mount-affecting effects, unless your travoise goes rampage and bites you for frightening damage.

I like  it, Skeelz.

I could see poor grebbers hunters, grebbers, and desert elves making use of this primitive tech.

I wouldn't mind it taking up one hand slot to hold. I would use it. There are quite a few places in the wild where one can't/shouldn't travel with a mount (or packbeast for elves).
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

As long as you can't climb with it while dragging and it slows your mount considerably I am on board. :)