Rare gem variants?

Started by ChibiTama, March 13, 2017, 02:41:57 AM

Alright, I will admit they do look pretty different.

That being said, perhaps the red everything makes it easier or harder to tell in Zalanthas.

Do they?
I posted them because I thought they didn't look different. I'd better not give up my day job!

The diamonds look more... Washed out? I guess might be the right word I think.

But that does prove my point I think, if you thought they look the same, imagine how some uneducated savage would look at them. Its a rock to them, a pretty looking rock, but a rock none the less.

However, someone that is familiar with jewelry would be able to tell the difference by assessing it, in this scenario. They look different enough to the trained eye that they could be differentiated. It's true any ol' grebber might not know the difference, but that's part of the fun.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

Quote from: Hauwke on March 14, 2017, 12:11:19 AM
If a rock was glowing how many commoners would stand around and gawk at it? Most magick fearing people would gtfo right quick in my opinion.

Um, I see glowing rocks strapped to ankles and such all the time.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Actually not a bad point Lostinspace, I always forget about all the wierd as fuck stuff that is actually everyday things.

I agree Chibi, yes a trained jeweler probably could tell the difference between the various rocks and gems, given enough of the correct training. Eg, sure he can tell the difference but wtf actually is this rock

Having the chance to find something really rare from some stroke of luck would be a great excuse for exploration to get folks out there and putting their butts on the line for a chance to strike it rich!
etwo wood
kill booty

I think the other thing people forget is that (I believe) the vast majority of "polished" stones in game are not cut gems.  They're cabachons, which is the pre-renaissance way of using gems.  Really all you're doing is making them smooth.  They aren't faceted.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: Hauwke on March 14, 2017, 12:08:33 AM
Side note, is iron a thing IG or is it all copper and shit?

There is a steel dragon in Allanak...
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

You would think I would have thought of that before I posted. I think JDM has a good point too, the technology to really cut them into faceted gems probably isnt really widespread.

Quote from: Hauwke on March 21, 2017, 02:58:34 AM
You would think I would have thought of that before I posted. I think JDM has a good point too, the technology to really cut them into faceted gems probably isnt really widespread.
That's what master jewelers are for. There are also new tools that have just been introduced in game that would ease the difficulty of making a stone faceted.
etwo wood
kill booty

Quote from: ChibiTama on March 21, 2017, 11:02:33 AM
That's what master jewelers are for. There are also new tools that have just been introduced in game that would ease the difficulty of making a stone faceted.

If I had to guess, I'd suspect cutting gems wouldn't be a master jeweler thing but maybe specifically a Kadian thing.

Quote from: manipura on March 21, 2017, 12:27:15 PM

If I had to guess, I'd suspect cutting gems wouldn't be a master jeweler thing but maybe specifically a Kadian thing.
Kadius, who has recently released tools used for jewelrymaking.
etwo wood
kill booty

Quote from: ChibiTama on March 21, 2017, 09:19:53 PM
Quote from: manipura on March 21, 2017, 12:27:15 PM

Kadius, who has recently released tools used for jewelrymaking.

Well what I'm getting at is I don't imagine that being a 'master jeweler', even with great tools, is enough for you to know advanced techniques if your character hasn't had appropriate training.
Being in Kadius usually means you'll have better training than the average master jeweler and therefore can create more technically advanced things.  That's all I was getting at.

Its still bones and stone tools guys, how could you hope to get a gem perfectly polished and faceted with such low quality tools, yes they are master jewelers, but at some point it just cant get any better.

Quote from: Hauwke on March 21, 2017, 11:11:17 PM
Its still bones and stone tools guys, how could you hope to get a gem perfectly polished and faceted with such low quality tools, yes they are master jewelers, but at some point it just cant get any better.

This is absolutely true.  There are plenty of things in game though that are 'masterfully' made, that bone and stone tools wouldn't really be able to produce. 
One of those things that just require suspension of belief, because people like making nice things?

The way I see it, make red and black diamonds anyway, because made-up, fantasy, ride the giant sandworm and kill magick beasts.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Akaramu on March 13, 2017, 01:38:47 PM
I'm not sure what differently colored gems would add to the game - we already have plenty of underused gems with too few available-to-all crafting recipes for them. I'd love to see super duper rare forage finds of any kind, though. Imagine the plots set in motion by some random grebber stumbling across a small copper deposit.  ;D

This.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

HELP FILE

QuotePrecious stone cutting technology was available in real life as early as 1000 BC. however, it was crude - having only a few sides. As the centuries slowly progressed, they succeeded in adding facets. Armageddon's gemstone technology falls on the early end of this progression.