Author Topic: Drinking Snobs  (Read 2093 times)

James de Monet

Re: Drinking Snobs
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2017, 03:12:53 AM »
It's good stuff.  You just made me go dig out my bottle for a finger.

At this point, I have reached my next evolutionary stage of snobbery.  I have mostly given up even whisky stones, and just keep a medicinal eyedropper in the fridge full of pure water.  A drop or two of chilled water may sound like ritual hype, but there's evidence to show it has scientific merit for opening up the whisky without diluting.  (Of course, the best evidence, as ever, is that you like what it does to your whisky.)

My father-in-law visited Camus (in France) last month, and they have this cool thing where they let you blend your own bottle of cognac from four different types, however you choose.  I've never been a huge cognac fan, but the stuff he mixed is awesome.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Is Friday

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2017, 08:39:10 AM »
Never had cognac. Sounds appropriately snobby for this thread.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Lizzie

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
I put cheap brandy in my Yago Sangria, with fresh fruit.
I put bacardi regular rum in my pina coladas, which I make with half a small can of chunk pineapple and Cocoa Real coconut cream, ice, half a banana, two frozen strawberries, and half the juice from the can of pineapple.
I like Jagermeister. In a shotglass. No ice, no water. Sipped, not tossed.
I like Kahlua and milk (not cream), no vodka.

I used to like mezcal. Straight out of the bottle. Got sick too many times though so now I can't even smell the stuff anymore.
Same with gin, vodka, whiskey, scotch, tequila (though on rare occasions I will shoot back a shot of tequilla. No lemon, no salt, no fancy expensive shit.)

I don't like beer but when I'm stuck drinking it I'll have Canadian Molson's (US Molsons is pisswater). In a glass, with a salted rim.

Not a wine fan. I use cooking sherry in my scampi, I drink 1-2 glasses of Maneschewitz Concord Grape every day once a year until the bottle's gone, and if it's dry wine, you might as well just pour rubbing alcohol over my tongue for all the good it'll do me.

Oh also - when I'm on a cruise, I get to know the bartender, and have her invent me up a "fruity rum drink" that isn't on the menu. I get at least one of those every day on the cruise, sometimes two, on rare occasions 3. There's around 4 shots of rum in each of those things and I suck one down within an hour of her handing it to me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:54:36 AM by Lizzie »
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Riev

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2017, 09:41:29 AM »
This weekend, I had the most to drink I have in months (particularly because I'm weird and don't like letting go/being drunk). But what I DID drink was Serpent's Bite Apple-Cider flavored whiskey.

It was good, because it was sweet. But it was awful, because it was a sweet whiskey. If I'm going to drink whiskey on the rocks, first off those rocks better not be cloudy, and second off, don't add sugar.

:(
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

IntuitiveApathy

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2017, 01:58:34 AM »

^ You're lucky to have had this!  They're only putting out NAS bottles now and the prices can be stupid on the original 12's (and other original JP age stamped whiskeys as well).

--

I brought this home from Japan a couple years ago:

It has a lovely rich, sweet taste - hints of vanilla and almost a chocolate-y smell to it, which is right up my alley.
--

I received this as a gift:

and originally wasn't thrilled with it for some reason (maybe because I was comparing to the Nikka 17, which was the first whiskey I bought!), but I grew to really like it.  Pairs well with dark chocolate!

--

My friend who's a whiskey snob really didn't like this, but I do:

I think because it's got a similar sweet and vanilla-y flavour to it.  Reasonably priced too.

--

Also, whiskey rocks are a terrible waste of money.  They just don't really do much cooling?

Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

James de Monet

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2017, 04:16:49 AM »
Are you keeping them in the freezer?  I have no complaints about their ability to cool, just that that isn't always the most desirable effect.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

IntuitiveApathy

« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2017, 01:25:57 AM »
Are you keeping them in the freezer?  I have no complaints about their ability to cool, just that that isn't always the most desirable effect.

I think maybe it's because when I drink whiskey I really only drink small amounts at a time - maybe it's a surface area thing that not enough contacts the cold stone?

So I was out at a partner bar of the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society the other day.  They had a dizzying array of whiskeys!  They don't tell you which label each is from, but they have this giant whiskey bible with a description page for each, with whimsical names given to each one (I had "Lay Your Head On My Pillow" - apparently from a Speyside distillery).   They served us with the whiskey (60%?! apparently cask strength) in a glass and then water in a separate glass with a small straw.  Technique was to put a drop of water on the tongue and then drink.. seemed to really make it pleasant.  I think I'll start trying to do that at home like you, see what it does to regular store-bought stuff.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse