Author Topic: Drinking Snobs  (Read 2434 times)

James de Monet

Re: Drinking Snobs
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 04:36:30 AM »
If you enjoy Suntory, there's another Japanese distillery called Nikka that has an amazing coffee grain whisky.  Character for days!

I mostly keep Speyside and Highland scotches, myself, as I like it better without too much peat.  I bought my brother a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask recently when his divorce was finalized.  I didn't know how I felt about dropping that kind of money on an NAS (no age statement) scotch, but I have no regrets.  The stuff is stellar.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Lizzie

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »
Someone explain to me the absinthe phenomena.

It's just trendy. People like embracing what they "think" is a mystery, or something exotic, or potentially dangerous. Absinthe is a spirit that gets its name from the latin name of wormwood, which is an herb used to flavor it. Absinthe by itself is a fairly bitter licorice-tasting spirit. You can add sugar via melting it into the glass or simply adding a few drops of simple syrup. Since it has no natural sweetening of its own, it doesn't qualify as a liqueur.

Wormwood contains high levels of thujone, which is a liver and kidney toxin. Overdose of wormwood can cause epileptic seizures and death. But in the small amount contained in the drink, you'd have to consume a few bottles of the stuff before worrying about thujone overdose. Meanwhile, the spirit is also traditionally high in alcohol, so you'd be rip-roaring drunk - and THAT is the most likely cause of the hallucinations of legend attached to Absinthe.

But people like to think they might get some sort of philosophical insight by drinking the stuff, so the trend comes around every few decades.

Also - wormwood grows wild in most parts of the USA. This is -probably- why any bans of the ingredient are pointless.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

James de Monet

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 02:39:54 PM »
It's not just that.  It's also the novelty, since it was illegal for so long, and the cool little ritual to it, like that people use for doing tequila shots.  I usually put a sugar cube on an absinthe spoon (essentially a flat strainer) on top of the glass, then pour the absinthe over the sugar, light the cube on fire (to melt it), then pour about 3 parts water over the remains of the cube to dissolve it, then use the spoon to stir it in.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Feco

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 08:20:37 AM »
On the Japanese drank:  Yeah, I've got the Hakashu 12 and I love it.  But, my go to single malt is Oban 14.

Now.  Absinthe.

This is the drinking snob thread, so I feel okay doing this:

Please don't light your sugar cubes on fire.  That hurts my fucking soul.  That's gimmicky fucking bullshit invented to play up the absinthe hype.

Doing the sugar cube on the spoon thing is fine -- it's a silly ritual, but it's sot of fun.  Either do that, add a bit of sugar, or don't use any at all.  At best this fire bullshit is just burning off some of the alcohol.  I guess if it makes you super happy to light your shit on fire, go for it.  It just seems so incredibly lame and wasteful to me.

It's important to add that a traditional absinthe is a distilled spirit that contains at least three ingredients: anise, wormwood, and fennel.  Like Lizzie said, the spirit has a flavor that's very similar to licorice.  It's not usually too bitter, though that depends on the absinthe.

What are always bitter are the fucking imposter absinthes.  If you go to a liquor store you're lucky to find even one traditionally made absinthe.  If you're a little lucky, you'll spot something that isn't "the real deal," but is at least close, in that they macerate the herbs into a neutral spirit and strain it.  What you'll mostly see is what's essentially grain liquor or vodka which has had (in the best case) extracts added for flavor, or in the worse case, fucking peppermint and licorice flavors from who knows what ingredient.  You can usually recognize them by their gimmicky fucking stupid bottles, their horrific bright green color, and if you have the misfortune of tasting them, their overly bitter, overly sweet, or overly alcoholic flavor.

The color is a gigantic indicator.  In "real" absinthes, the color is from clorophyl.  Over time, and with exposure to sunlight, it'll turn a yellowish-brown.  It's also worth noting that absinthe can be clear ("blanch"), which is in the Swiss style.  Fake absinthes generally have this radioactive green to them.

Another telltale sign of a piece of shit imposter absinthe is its inability to louche (sometimes called the ouzo effect).  In drinks like absinthe, you have some hydrophobic oils that are dissolved in the ethanol.  Adding water brings some of them out of solution, and the liquid gets cloudy (it seems to give the drink a heavy mouthfeel, and if you make a cocktail with a bubbly liquid in it, it won't bubble).  Shitty absinthes generally don't do this.

The other big indicator is wormwood.  If the bottle advertises how much wormwood or thujone it has, it's fucking bullshit.  No real absinthe gives a shit about any of that.  There's enough there for the flavor, and that's it.  The amount of thujone it contributes in a real absinthe is absolutely minuscule.

This miniscule amount is the entire reason it's legal again.  The rules didn't change.  What changed is that someone took the time and money to demonstrate that the thujone content in absinthes generally fell below the FDA maximum for thujone in a product.  A distiller named Tim Breaux, who formulated Lucid and the Jade line of absinthes, played a huge role in that.  He's a big part of the community, and the Jade line absinthes are considered the fucking cream of the crop.

If you want to buy some, below is a list of real stuff I've had or at least know of off the top of my head, and a few fakes I've regularly seen.  The list of real absinthes contains some very traditional ones, as well as a few "new wave" ones like St. George.  I just mixed them in because they're all good.

Real: Any of the Jade line, Vieux Carre, Leopold Bros., St. George (a little funky in its flavor profile), Meadow of Love, Pacifique, La Clandestine, Mansinthe (gimmicky, but pretty good), Lucid, Kubler, Viex Pontalier, Duplais, Ridge, Blues Cat, and a ton of others.

Common Fakes: Absente/Grand Absente, La Muse Verte (only "fake" because they don't distill -- otherwise, I think it's as good as some of the real ones), Grune Fee, La Fee, any other take on fucking faries, anything that comes in a skull shaped bottle, 99% of what's made in the Czech Republic, and way too many more to list

I've currently got Vieux Carre, St. George, Mansinthe, and La Muse Verte on my bar.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:27:40 AM by Feco »
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Melkor

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
Beer is water.
wine is juice.
Liquor is feel-good poison.

In the Philippines, I drank a native-made """palm-wine""" which was essentially moonshine made from coconut water. I could tell it was going to be bad, because like 6 people were staring at me like this  :D while I was trying it. No distillation, so I am sure I drank some methanol in there.

Here, my closest neighbor is an old man who lives OTG by himself. He makes booze from the native persimmons that grow around here. God-awful.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

James de Monet

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2017, 02:24:31 PM »
I guess if it makes you super happy to light your shit on fire, go for it.

If?

James de Monet

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2017, 04:17:37 PM »
I'm not snobby about absinthe, so I don't have any good bottles anyway.  Don't worry, I'm not wasting good stuff.  ;)

Armaddict

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2017, 10:55:09 PM »
I think I got some of Feco's dreaded fake absinthe, by description. :/
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Feco

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
I think I got some of Feco's dreaded fake absinthe, by description. :/

Bummer!  If you post a picture/tell me the name, I can probably find out.  This is the snob thread so this goes in little text:  if you like it... meh, doesn't matter.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
If you're drinking Japanese Scotch, you aren't drinking scotch.

/snob

Freaken thank you...  Scotch a version of Whisky from Scotland.

As for me, lately I have had an interest in Gin.  It's a new area for me so I plan to do a bit of exploring.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

Hot_Dancer

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
Don't let the price fool you, Jim Beam is a pretty high rated smooth bourbon. Sorry for breaking snob-theme.

If you drinking on a budget, find a place that has Beam in the well - it's a steal.

I personally don't like Jack Daniels or Knob Creek much :)
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Feco

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 04:25:20 PM »
If you're drinking Japanese Scotch, you aren't drinking scotch.

/snob

Freaken thank you...  Scotch a version of Whisky from Scotland.

As for me, lately I have had an interest in Gin.  It's a new area for me so I plan to do a bit of exploring.

If you can find it, give Old Raj a try.  There's a red and a blue label -- I prefer the navy strength blue label.  Makes a great martini.  It's overpriced, but this is the snob thread.

Since we also mentioned absinthe:

Corpse Reviver #2 (best version)

3/4 oz Old Raj blue label
3/4 oz Cointreau
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
3/4 oz fresh lemon juice
Barspoon or rinse of absinthe, depending on how much you like the flavor.  No more than barspoon -- it'll easily overwhelm everything else.

Stir over ice and strain into a coupe.  No garnish.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Fathi

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »
I ended up drinking Vieux Carre absinthe once when I ordered the cocktail in a very loud bar and decided to just roll with it. I seem to recall it was decent but I'm not a huge absinthe drinker.

A gin distillery just opened up a ways up the highway from me and I got to sample their product the other night at my local.

It was pretty nice. I didn't do anything especially fancy, sipped a bit to try it out then had a greyhound (gin and grapefruit, no salt, I think they call it something different with salt but I'm not really a cocktail drinker).

Still drinking mostly wine and cider at home. But to be fair, the wine where solera and I live is really nice. :P
Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view
I'm just an animal looking for a home
Share the same space for a minute or two

Quote from: BadSkeelz
My preferred form of birth control is still rough circle.

Cind

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2017, 01:37:58 AM »
I love Buffalo Trace. I also like Wild Turkey because I have weak taste in things. I just like mellow, soft flavors like that.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Is Friday

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »
I bought a bottle of this. I've always liked Dead Guy, both the ale and whiskey. Worth it.

Pretty smooth and flavorful.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 02:17:07 AM »
This is my jam right now, very happy with either/have both.

That is one of  my Favorites that and Russel's reserve.  If I am feeling poor though I settle for Wild Turkey 101
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Is Friday

« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2017, 08:12:22 PM »
Got myself a nice "weekend edition" of Glenlivet. Noticed the cute tiny bottle on the shelf and was immediately sold. What perturbs me from buying liquor is sometimes that I drink too much over a single weekend, so... a 375ml bottle of scotch is definitely very appealing to me.

I've been a fan of Glenlivet for a while. There's a particular type that has a more charcoal taste that I can't recall--that's my favorite.
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Is Friday

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
This is an incredible rye. I'm really impressed. Very mature, full bodied, got a hint of that oak barrel char. Love it.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »
I'm almost through my bottle of Bulleit Bourbon, which I enjoyed. Not so sweet as Jack Daniel's and a bit stronger so it'll probably be my go to. Debating whether to try the $30 Woodford Reserve next or grab the $45 of Suntory Taki I saw next to it. Both are too expensive for casual drinking but wouldn't mind having one on hand.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Hauwke

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
$30 is too expensive for casual drinking? Well shit, for a whiskey at all the cheapest where I am is like $35

James de Monet

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2017, 01:55:25 AM »
I've been a fan of Glenlivet for a while. There's a particular type that has a more charcoal taste that I can't recall--that's my favorite.

Might be the 15yr.  I know it's different that their flagship 12 & 18 varieties, but I can't remember how off the top of my head.

The usual suspects in my cupboard:

And, because this is a snobbery thread, Perfect Manhattans (though I suppose a real snob would have strained them, meh):

Is Friday

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2017, 01:57:49 AM »

Might be the 15yr.  I know it's different that their flagship 12 & 18 varieties, but I can't remember how off the top of my head.

The usual suspects in my cupboard:

And, because this is a snobbery thread, Perfect Manhattans (though I suppose a real snob would have strained them, meh):

Where do you live? We need to be bros.

Feco

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2017, 07:24:24 AM »
My man with the real Luxardo shit!

8)
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

James de Monet

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2017, 09:34:37 PM »
Where do you live? We need to be bros.

Heh, I'm close enough to Hangar One that it's a disgrace I don't stock any St. George.  But if you find yourself in San Jose, hit me up!

My man with the real Luxardo shit!

This thread deserves nothing less!

Is Friday

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 08:37:35 PM »
If you enjoy Suntory, there's another Japanese distillery called Nikka that has an amazing coffee grain whisky.  Character for days!

I mostly keep Speyside and Highland scotches, myself, as I like it better without too much peat.  I bought my brother a bottle of Macallan Rare Cask recently when his divorce was finalized.  I didn't know how I felt about dropping that kind of money on an NAS (no age statement) scotch, but I have no regrets.  The stuff is stellar.
Necro.

I just tried this, first drink. Amazing. Lots of character.