Newbie questions

Started by pirren, March 04, 2017, 03:54:37 PM

Hello!
I've got couple of questions:
1. How to restore mystical "st" in your prompt line. Because I have 0 atm and can't wake up. Actually, what is it?
2. How learn new combat skills, techniques, abilities?
3. How to know what I skills already know when I start playing?
4. What restores health?

And I also will be glad for directions.

See you in game!
To live and survive.

"And I also will be glad for directions. "
Depending on where you are, and your citizenship, you can use the 'directions command' to get around.
For Allanak this will mostly be used for like, "Directions Gaj"

1: St is stun. Stun is your mental endurance and you lose a bit of it when you listen, watch people, or use the way. Using the way too often or being hit upside the head/falling three stories will make you lose stun and pass out for about ten minutes. Try not to do this as you are pretty vulnerable.

2: Fail things, a lot. Techniques are only really available to warriors and most of them you start with. Weapon skills take VERY long to level up. Things like parry, not so much. Once you have it.

3: Type skills.

4: Resting, magical healing (Which as a normal person you'd never consider or atleast loosely), bandaging (which requires a skill). If you get too damaged you will have to sleep off injuries.

Quote from: pirren on March 04, 2017, 03:54:37 PM
Hello!
I've got couple of questions:
1. How to restore mystical "st" in your prompt line. Because I have 0 atm and can't wake up. Actually, what is it?
2. How learn new combat skills, techniques, abilities?
3. How to know what I skills already know when I start playing?
4. What restores health?

And I also will be glad for directions.

See you in game!

Hi,
1. Rest, sit, or sleep. If you are 'knocked out', it will take some time, anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes. Your character is very vulnerable when knocked out, so good luck!
2. Check out 'help branch' - however Armageddon has a class-based system so you can't learn something outside your class as a general rule.
3. type 'skills'.
4. There are a number of ways to restore health, but the simplest is rest - and if you are below a certain HP threshold, you won't be able to regenerate health unless you are tended to by a physician (with the "bandage" skill) or unless you >sleep.

Please feel free to use helper chat, if no one is there we can respond to emails you leave as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for your answers, guys! Well, I still have period of acclimatisation, shock from permadeath, now getting a little bit cleverer.

Some other questions:
1. How to understand I look at immortal (player), are there special signs or something like that?
2. What mapping system do you use?
To live and survive.

1: Staff is usually on, just not 'visible'. If they are and you do who it will be like "The constellation of Nergal is in the sky" This isn't a literal constellation. It just means Nergal is on.

2: I've got all of this shit memorized.
I use the map on the main website and there's a really good artistic map on the forums...somewhere.
Someone post it pls.

I have found the promise of it on page 2 of Character Portraits (Ourla). I swear I've seen it finished. At least in one post.

1. If you mean a staff's avatar, I'm not sure it's all that common to see one, much less be able to look at them. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if there were a staff avatar walking around, I think they'd show up by their staffer name rather than an s-desc (e.g., "Talia is standing here."). I have absolutely no idea, though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

2. There are a few clients that support automapping. I use TinTin++, personally, and have a mapping script set up.

If you mean existing maps, the game encourages you to try to figure most things out as you go. There are ASCII maps available, which I think Jihelu refers to. You can access these through 'help maps', 'help map allanak', 'help map zalanthas', and 'help map tuluk'. These are for the purpose of those concepts who shouldn't be having trouble navigating such places.

Did a quick search around, Jihelu, and found this old map of Zalanthas. Might not be so accurate, anymore, but it shows the gist of the geography. There's also this map of the city of Allanak by JdM. Pretty cool, and it's interactive!

Just so you know, the world isn't set up on a perfect grid.  A city may be surrounded by 8 outdoor rooms, but might contain many, many more rooms than that.

This doesn't just extend to things like cities, though.  You may find areas that don't line on on a perfect grid.  You could go east three rooms, north one, west three, and south one, and end up in a place different than where you started.  That said, /most/ of the world is arrange in a grid -- these weird examples are pretty rare.

For this reason, though, I suggest that if you're going to keep a map, you do so in excel or on graph paper.  Make notes of inconsistencies.  You'll get all sort of weird shit if you try to automap it.

I also suggest you don't become reliant on a map.  I've got a substantial portion of the world memorized, at least in regards to landmarks.  It's more fun that way, I think.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: pirren on March 05, 2017, 02:19:13 AM
2. What mapping system do you use?

I'm a bit psychotic.  I map everything out on graph paper with lines for room exits and everything.  It is, admittedly, not fault proof as others have noted that not everything lines up perfectly, but with proper notations and such you can have some idea of where you are if you pass through again.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Haha, at moment I started to draw map of Allanak and surroundings by hand :)) And some paths already remember.
To live and survive.

What commands can be used to look at the weapon's details? Only "look"? But how to get details then?
To live and survive.

Quote from: pirren on March 07, 2017, 03:01:54 PM
What commands can be used to look at the weapon's details? Only "look"? But how to get details then?
Assess
View

view lets you know the weapon type (If you have the skill), the weight (I think), and a variety of things.

Quote from: pirren on March 07, 2017, 03:01:54 PM

If you are wielding/holding the weapon, then only look and examine will work.
If you are not wielding/holding the weapon (meaning - it's loose in your inventory and you didn't ep/es/etwo it yet), then you can look, examine, assess -v (v stands for verbose, the most detail available for the assess command), value, and analyze.

Not all of those commands will give you useful results, necessarily. For instance - if you don't know how to craft weapons, analyze will either give you a blank line, or something about how you don't know how it's made.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I suppose it's worth noting that there are no such thing as publicly viewable "stats" on an item, either. There is no hardcoded way to determine whether one sword is better than another by comparing attack modifiers or the like. The exceptions are Weight and Value, which are both governed by the [Value] skill.

For comparison purposes you can make educated guesses based on the description, the weight, the materials and the relative values of the weapon. A dagger described with exceptional levels of craftsmanship will probably be better than a roughly-wrapped obsidian shank.

Fortunately there is not THAT much variation in melee weapon quality. We're working with rock and bone for the most part, after all. If your character has reasonably high stats or skill levels you can pretty much use whatever you want and remain more-or-less effective.

Quote from: pirren on March 06, 2017, 04:24:41 AM
Haha, at moment I started to draw map of Allanak and surroundings by hand :)) And some paths already remember.

When I first started, I did this by buying a notepad of graph paper (or quad paper or quad fill depending on which part of the world you live in!) and colouring the squares in by hand. It's a surprisingly effective method and it helps you memorise things!

I did one page of Allanak, one page of the Labyrinth, one page of the desert outside Allanak etc. and used different colored pencils for different room types, like quit rooms were red and roads were purple.

No shame in drawing by hand. :) Good luck and welcome to the game!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

That's what I did too except I tried to use a realistic color palette and always ran out of different shades of red/yellow/brown...