Author Topic: I'm a born and bred 'Naki but I don't know where the Gaj is.  (Read 1394 times)

Synthesis

Re: I'm a born and bred 'Naki but I don't know where the Gaj is.
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
It doesn't matter how much you prepare.

Anyone who's been playing this game for a while can spot a noob within a few minutes of interacting.

It's not as big a deal as you're making it out to be.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Melkor

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
I cringe at how I behaved in my first weeks, months of playing...
These days, it makes me happy to see bumbling noobs, because it means we are growing. I try to help them, point them in the right direction, while remaining in character so they get the atmosphere of the game.

Once had a noob elf whisper in an emote to my character, who was very clean cut... wearing silks and jewelry.. "pssst... Where could I find lockpicks?"
OOC I about died laughing. ICly i turned up my nose, scolded him, told him to go back to the gaj and find a suitable profession like joining the Byn.

I think that our understanding and experienced playerbase is the perfect answer to noob discomfort and intimidation.

Oh god, i just remembered like 12 years ago, one of my first characters spit on a Tor slave after he asked me a question, because I thought all slaves were inferior to commoners (in my mind, like untouchables). Tor roughed me up, gave me a lesson ICly and OOCly, then sent me on my way.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
I understand that the playerbase is very understanding and welcoming to newbies, but newbies don't know this prior to entering the game and still might feel trepidation in jumping in. I just thought that having something pre-entry to game (like training wheels) might further incentivise getting in and playing.

As Synthesis said, I might just be making this a bigger problem than it is, but I just thought it could be an added touch that might help with gaining newbies :)

Melkor

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »
On one hand, i say throw the noobs to the gortoks and let them see how inhospitable and cruel this game can be (and frequently is); Baptism by fire. I mean, it worked for all of us, and we play, right?
On the other, with the goal in mind being getting new players and keeping them... Maybe a newbie-area would be reasonable.... I dont know. I consider the Byn to be a great place for noobs to learn about the game, syntax, culture, etc.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

solera

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »
I like Lizzie's formatted e-mail. I would suggest that

[link to the helper system] If you need live one-on-one assistance, some of our volunteer helpers are available most times of day or night. You can access our helper messaging system here.
  is emboldened.
And the help direction link added to the home city bullet point.

TheGoose

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »
I have a friend I tried to get to play Arma with me. She already had. Her character complimented the first PC she met on their sword. Said person said something along the lines of 'want to see it closer?' and proceeded to kill her. She never played again and doesn't want to give it another shot. I'm assuming it was a Templar.

My 2nd character died because someone wanted to have a friendly brawl in the Gaj and I didn't know there was a special command for brawling. RIP.

Things like this are problematic, and should likely be addressed. Anyway, more on topic, I managed to get by via playing idiots, or dropping a quick OOC explaining I'm brand-spanking new. But I'm a frickin' masochist who specifically goes out searching for no-mercy permadeath MUDs to bang my head against. So... *shrug*

BadSkeelz

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2017, 03:34:37 PM »
I doubt that was a Templar. They would have tried to mudsex her.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
Was this in the rinth?

Jihelu

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2017, 06:23:32 PM »
I doubt that was a Templar. They would have tried to mudsex her.
I kekked
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

BadSkeelz

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »
Was this in the rinth?

They don't use swords in the rinth so I doubt that too. It could have been a templar, or a soldier. Whoever they were they're a tryhard.

Killing PCs to show that your PC's a tough guy is something I strongly disapprove of and do my best to discourage. Generally by PKing the characters in question, and vaguebooking on the GDB about such try-hard behavior in an attempt to demoralize the players in question. Authority roles have to be especially conscious of the negative impact of kill-happy behavior can have, but antagonistic roles should be careful not to overdo it either. If someone is offending you (But not seriously threatening you) I prefer to give as many opportunities to escape death as possible. I'll still mutilate and torture and brutalize, but killing's best reserved for the terminally stupid. Unfortunately a lot of newbies fall in to the latter category early on, when they don't seem capable of separating IC from OOC or understanding that their shit-talking elf has zero rights and better do what I say.

I prefer to save my PKing for life and death situations, or for dealing with the above tryhards.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Hauwke

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2017, 12:07:43 AM »
Surprisingly ive never had to PK anyone. Ive been PKed, because I was a total scrub at the time, but I have never flexed my character to the point where I have killed anyone.

Viciously brutalized? YUP.
Maimed? Possibly, hard to know for sure.

QuillDipper

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2017, 03:48:04 AM »
I've seen great excuses for newbies not knowing things, and I enjoy seeing more all the time. Maybe it'd be helpful for newbies to have suggestions on ways to be 'ignorant' via helpfile or something added to the background portion of chargen, but I think most people will excuse just about anything that doesn't seem like an intentional rub on the rules.

I just said my first character had amnesia while I learned the basics and pretty much everyone I met understood immediately what that meant, but several characters after him, while I was still learning, people explained pretty nicely if I didn't understand something.
Part-Time Internets Lady

chrisdcoulombe

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »
Raised by Meks.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

nessalin

• Board Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 12:01:23 PM »
Child roles were available a long time ago (there's this cool story about a child nilazi gemmed who the Arm used) but they stopped them because they said that the players were acting more like RL children instead of zalanthas-style, hardened little adults. Or something to that effect.

The issue was specifically that other players would treat the child characterlike people in modern American society treats children.  Making a child character (simply having boy/girl in sdesc&keywords) took a lot of heat off from other players. 

It wasn't a problem with the people playing the child characters, who by and large were bringing the imagined realities of growing up in a world like Zalanthas.  Rather it was the other players trying to white knight for them, treating them like they were 5 instead of 10, etc...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:24:12 PM by nessalin »