Snatch hood/mask/veil

Started by Melkor, March 02, 2017, 09:07:38 AM

I was thinking there should be a coded command to snatch someone's hood/facemask off.
This would obviously be considered a great act of aggression, many times in prelude to a fight.
Maybe the skill could roll the snatcher's agility vs the wearer's agility, defense, parry? Maybe include, upon a successful defense of this aggression, a coded shove or punch doing slight hp, mostly stun dmg.

Thoughts?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

As a dedicated player of hooded / masked / veiled figures who would be very unhappy with this change, I support the idea wholeheartedly.

Quote from: Akaramu on March 02, 2017, 09:43:09 AM
As a dedicated player of hooded / masked / veiled figures who would be very unhappy with this change, I support the idea wholeheartedly.

Hell yeah!

This would decrease prevalence of the "REMOVE YOUR HOOD, OR ELSEEEE1" event.
Its either you drop your hood, or they will snatch it. Maybe they succeed, maybe they fail and you punch them in the mouth... If thats anyone of authority... Yer kinda fucked.

March 02, 2017, 10:15:41 AM #3 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:28:57 AM by Harmless
I am worried about crimcode with this. I don't want crimcode going off over it basically but I also want there to be nasty consequences for the snatcher esp. If they fail.

Being subdued should make the victim helpless to any counter attempts. Counters should be a nosave option for those not inclined towards brutality.

You attempt to yank down the tall figure in a dark cloak's hood, but fail.
The tall figure in a dark cloak counters your attempt with a direct punch to your face!
(If he is wielding a weapon)
The tall figure in a dark cloak counters your attempt with a bludgeon to your head, wounding you.
Your vision goes black.
(No crimcode activated as it was just one attack/exchange, like a >hit attempt in a bar.)

If tried on an elf..

You try to yank off the very tall female wearing a cloth facewrap's facewrap, but fail.
The very tall female wearing a cloth facewrap counters your attempt with a stab to your body.
You feel very sick...

Basically in the chaos of attempted yanking and single counterattack you risk getting badly hurt, then I think it is fair.

I know for sure I am not trying to snatch a mul's mask, but if I am, I would like the risk of being instantly killed for such a stupid move.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

March 02, 2017, 10:38:48 AM #4 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:48:26 AM by Melkor
Quote from: Harmless on March 02, 2017, 10:15:41 AM
I am worried about crimcode with this. I don't want crimcode going off over it basically but I also want there to be nasty consequences for the snatcher esp. If they fail.

Being subdued should make the victim helpless to any counter attempts. Counters should be a nosave option for those not inclined towards brutality.

You attempt to yank down the tall figure in a dark cloak's hood, but fail.
The tall figure in a dark cloak counters your attempt with a direct punch to your face!
(If he is wielding a weapon)
The tall figure in a dark cloak counters your attempt with a bludgeon to your head, wounding you.
Your vision goes black.
(No crimcode activated as it was just one attack/exchange, like a >hit attempt in a bar.)

If tried on an elf..

You try to yank off the very tall female wearing a cloth facewrap's facewrap, but fail.
The very tall female wearing a cloth facewrap counters your attempt with a stab to your body.
You feel very sick...

Basically in the chaos of attempted yanking and single counterattack you risk getting badly hurt, then I think it is fair.

I know for sure I am not trying to snatch a mul's mask, but if I am, I would like the risk of being instantly killed for such a stupid move.

I like a lot of what you have here, though I do not think it is remotely realistic to have the risk of being "instantly killed" for reaching for a hood. I see no difference in the reasonable amount of bodily harm done from a 'wounding' strike with a weapon and a strike with a weapon caused by someone reacting to having their veil snatched.

As far as combat, and crim-code.. I think that snatching hoods, and the subsequent single strike which would follow a failed snatch, should not engage combat, or trigger crim-code. If your character wants to engage combat after someone snatches your hood, or after you are hit following a failed snatch, that is your prerogative.

I think the attack following a failed snatch should be one guaranteed-hit from the unarmed fist or whatever weapon the snatchee is holding, and that is it.

Edited to add: The 'nasty consequences' for risking snatching someone's hood should be the single strike garaunteed by a failing snatch (doubt someone would try snatching a HG's hood...) and the consequences of any aggressive, physical action to another person in Zalanthas. Like calling someone 'bitch' in prison. You are challenging them, practically asking for a fight.

Nice gif, that was a successful grab alright. No counter.

Watching the snatcher should greatly reduce success chance.

And well, there are muls and even some dwarves and HGs who one-hit KO people, so if the code allows a one hit KO which it already sometimes does, then goodnight.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Awww shiiit. Snatchin weaves. +1

Yeah, I would rely on the current combat code for 1 successful strike, but not add severity/crit to it. So 1 hit ko's are definitely possible, though not average.

Also, should the snatched target item, when it is not a hood attached to a cloak, be dropped to the floor, or to the target's inventory to prevent Snatch being used to steal masks?

Isn't the ability to steal things already in the game? You want to snatch a mask, I'm pretty sure there's a guild for that. And if they fail they deal with the consequences of crim code.

Oh Oh, also watching them greatly reduces their chance for success.

What I'm saying is, play a pickpocket.
3/21/16 Never Forget

March 02, 2017, 02:03:35 PM #9 Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 02:17:36 PM by Melkor
Pickpocket denotes stealth. I am talking about blatantly pulling a person's hood down or facemask off. Nothing to do with theft, or being sneaky.

Also, what would "steal" have anything to do with lowering a person's hood?

I dont' know about anyone else, but I can't help but to imagine
Scooby-Doo and the gang unmasking the villain.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

March 02, 2017, 02:29:19 PM #11 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:26:35 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on March 02, 2017, 02:29:19 PM
There should be a crim check (for being wanted for stealing) for anyone trying this who isn't law enforcement.

Why?
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

There should be a crim check (for being wanted for stealing) for anyone trying this who isn't law enforcement.

Maybe in Red Storm. You know how those people are.  ;D

Quote from: Akaramu on March 02, 2017, 03:35:50 PM

Maybe in Red Storm. You know how those people are.  ;D

ha yah. in red storm, I could entirely see that.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.