Author Topic: Pregnancy! Another discussion  (Read 667 times)

RabidMuffins

Pregnancy! Another discussion
« on: February 28, 2017, 12:43:28 AM »
After many conflicting opinions from various players, I figured a discussion was in order about a generally agreed upon length of time for a normal Zanthalan human pregnancy. I've heard that some go for 40 Zanthalan weeks, which could make sense because of the fact that in RL, women are typically pregnant for about 40 weeks.

As for me, I feel like it should be more along the lines of 25 Zanthalan weeks. Let me explain why.
A Zanthalan week is 11 days and a RL week is 7 days. You would want to go by days to figure the difference between time in both worlds. So, for 40 weeks, you would use 40*7=280. So that is 280 RL days of a normal pregnancy. Now, to figure out how many Zanthalan weeks that would factor into, you would use 280/11=25.45454545... This would mean that it is roughly 25 Zanthalan weeks to equal the same number of days one would be expect to be pregnant in real life.

What do you think?
Why can't kanks clap?
Because they're dead.

bcw81

• Helper
Re: Pregnancy! Another discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:45:28 AM »
If you go from hours IG time to hours IRL time, the total IC time it would cost to go through human gestation would be around 80 IRL weeks, give or take. (I did the math a few years back, I think it was 82 IRL days.)

That said, I think the easiest way to go about it would probably go from the weeks standpoint of ~40 IRL days, since that seems to be the most used. It should also be considered that elven, breed, dwarf, ect. gestation takes longer than human gestation, so you might want to add some time if you're a non-human and get knocked up.

A female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

manipura

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:54:32 AM »
There's a very useful and well-written article on the GDB that covers all sorts of pregnancy stuff.

The third post deals with time translations and that sort of thing. 

When I played out my first in-game pregnancy, I figured it out to be around five RL weeks.  I remember it was a bunch of figuring and calculating time which doesn't neatly add up...then I came across this thread/article and was glad my math was abut right, but I wished I'd found it sooner! :)

Edit: some of the links etc don't work, but the general explanation of converting time is there, as well as a quote from the pregnancy information that used to be on the site.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:59:57 AM by manipura »

azuriolinist

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 02:19:10 AM »
I'm not sure it would be accurate to calculate by IG days, because a Zalanthan day isn't equal to a day in Earth. At least, as far as I know. The char. gen states that a Zalanthan year is pretty close to an Earth year, length-wise. Since a year in Zalanthas has 693 days, Zalanthan days are about half as long as Earth days. The article manipura mentioned explains it in further detail, I think. It's a great read, and I encourage you to look it over.

Here's another thread where they discuss how long a pregnancy might last: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?topic=12647.0

BadSkeelz

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 02:40:47 AM »
The best unit of comparison is years, 1 Zalanthan Year = (roughly) 1 Earth Year. That's the basis to Taven's calculations.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

RabidMuffins

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 02:46:12 AM »
There's a very useful and well-written article on the GDB that covers all sorts of pregnancy stuff.
My issue with this one is that there are supposed to be charts there, but they no longer load. They are referenced in the post, but I don't know what the charts say.
Why can't kanks clap?
Because they're dead.

RabidMuffins

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 02:48:34 AM »
I'm not sure it would be accurate to calculate by IG days, because a Zalanthan day isn't equal to a day in Earth. At least, as far as I know. The char. gen states that a Zalanthan year is pretty close to an Earth year, length-wise. Since a year in Zalanthas has 693 days, Zalanthan days are about half as long as Earth days. The article manipura mentioned explains it in further detail, I think. It's a great read, and I encourage you to look it over.

Here's another thread where they discuss how long a pregnancy might last: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?topic=12647.0
This one is a bit more direct and doesn't require charts. I think with the two combined, it makes more sense. At least for me.
Why can't kanks clap?
Because they're dead.

manipura

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 02:58:18 AM »
The best unit of comparison is years, 1 Zalanthan Year = (roughly) 1 Earth Year. That's the basis to Taven's calculations.

Yep.

Keeping to that rough estimate, it ends up being between four and five RL weeks. 
It is about 32.5 days actually, but different races might have longer pregnancies, due to having longer lifespans.

A Zalanthan year is 693 days and is roughly equal to an Earth year.
Earth pregnancy is three quarters of a year.
693/4= 173.25 (quarter of a Zalanthan year)
173.25*3= 519.75 (three quarters of a Zalanthan year)
519.75/16= 32.5 (approx number of RL days it takes for 519 game days to elapse)

Edit: if there's something off with that math I'm -sure- someone will point it out  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:02:07 AM by manipura »

ShaLeah

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »
Don't we have a help file and 80 discussions about this?
Ginka sees your tears...

....and thinks they are delicious.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.

manipura

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 04:38:10 PM »

No help file but I think there was a General Info page on pregnancy.  Like a bunch of the plant info though (and whatever else), it seems that it just didn't get on the new website.

Eighty GDB discussions all amounting to the same basic info?  Yeah, that sounds about right.  ::) :P

ShaLeah

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 04:54:29 PM »

No help file but I think there was a General Info page on pregnancy.  Like a bunch of the plant info though (and whatever else), it seems that it just didn't get on the new website.

Eighty GDB discussions all amounting to the same basic info?  Yeah, that sounds about right.  ::) :P

LoL

I couldn't find it, I was hoping someone would post the link to that Zalanthan pregnancy something or other.
Ginka sees your tears...

....and thinks they are delicious.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.

manipura

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
You used to be able to still access the old page but I can't figure out how to do that now.  I think in all the updating the ability to get to the old pages got 'fixed'...and now that left behind info is just gone?

Hopefully I'm wrong and I'm just going about things the wrong way.

But luckily...we still have those eighty GDB threads!

azuriolinist

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
You can access the old Armageddon website, still, at http://old.armageddon.org/.

The pregnancy page I think you might be referring to is up there, too.

manipura

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
You can access the old Armageddon website, still, at http://old.armageddon.org/.

The pregnancy page I think you might be referring to is up there, too.

I -thought- that's how I was trying to access it and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working.  When I tried it took me to the new page.  Obviously I was typing something wrong somewhere.  Thanks!