simple tasks for beginner

Started by Alterak, February 24, 2017, 01:15:59 AM

Hi!
I have a little MUD experience.
Now I know Armageddon has no quests.

I like to explore new world little by little.
I know I'll die soon. But I don't want to die too young.

What can be first tasks to understand the world (and syntax) for beginner?

Now I plan to achieve tasks:

• Get mount. Find way to another settlement (not too far from Allanak)
  • Try combat with harmless (i hope) critter
  • Find some items to sell and get some coins

If you are in Allanak, first task is to go to the Gaj in the evening (game time) and find someone to ask  about what you'd like to do.
Grebbing (foraging) is a good starting task, that gives you a feel for outside the walls of Allanak, and the dangers.
Joining the Byn is a good way to learn about critters and the Known world too.

I swear on my bone sword, Zalanthas is out to kill you.

Hey, and welcome. Glad to have you.  :D

February 24, 2017, 04:18:42 AM #2 Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:42:34 AM by azuriolinist
Hi there, and welcome to Armageddon!

The above has mentioned a few great points, already, and you, yourself, have a good starting plan set up. Joining the Byn, honestly, is what kick-started me into actually getting the game (a bit) and surviving the more numerous rookie mistakes I would've made, had I not. The clan's a good starting point, especially if you're looking into combat. You'll learn the syntax right from the get-go, it being a combat clan, and being in a group full of PCs with more or less the same goals as your own PC can make the learning process go a lot smoother.

Honestly, I recommend joining a group (even if it isn't the Byn) or finding someone to partner up with. Interaction with other PCs is, I've found, a great way to learn the syntax, and there are those who'd probably be up for throwing some tasks for your PC to do--as long as they believe your PC could do it.

Otherwise, just some tips that might keep you alive: type 'help top40' in-game. These are a few commands and helpfiles that might help you out in the long run. Stay close to the walls. Avoid creatures bigger than your PC. Learn to distinguish high-ranking PCs from the rest. Don't let your hit points drop below 2/3 of your max.

There's probably a ton of things I'm missing, here, but... I wish you luck, and I hope you enjoy it in the game.

Welcome to Armageddon! Things to help you figure out syntax and learn a little about the world - is a complex task.

There's the coded world, and there's the "living" world. If you focus entirely on the coded world, you might miss out on the world of players interacting with each other. Conversely if you sit in a bar all day and don't ever leave and RP as if it were a MUSH, you'll miss out on all the neat coded aspects of the game. Armageddon is what it is, because of the combination of the two.

So yes - definitely include acquisition of a mount and travel and a coded method of income as tasks for yourself.
But also definitely include interaction, learning about clan life (by trying to get hired into one), and the socio-political side of the game. That's the side that includes ALL the intrigue, manipulations, betrayal, corruption.

Remember, anyone can use the code to figure out the best way of killing mob #47. But only people who involve themselves in the "life" of their character and give them that third dimension of interaction, will learn how to assassinate their boss's enemy's favorite concubine, leaving no trail, yet sending a very clear message to the enemy that "House Q was here."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Do not be afraid to practice syntax alone in a room, either. Get used to how the game handles emoting, talking, and such.

The coded syntax for buying, riding, mounting, and such, is OFTEN intuitive. Always ask questions for context either here, or on the Helper Chat from the main page. Helpers in that chat are more able to answer SPECIFIC questions, if you ask on the forums we might find out who you are playing, and for some that ruins the mystery and immersion.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Is the helper chat still live, though? I've been told by newbies they could only leave a question, and when I stopped by, I could only leave a question as well.

It depends if there is a helper online at the time or not, I believe.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Well
I've lost all my coins which were in backpack.
And lost my stable ticket. So I've lost my erdlu also.
I just don't know how could it happened.

Good news:
I kill local rat.
And I don't know how to skin it and may be eat.

When you logged out, did you go to a room labeled [Quit] and type quit?

If you just closed the program, your PC just sat there until you logged back in, meaning someone could have stolen your things.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

When you type SKILLS, do you see a 'skinning' skill anywhere? You need that skill to skin dead animals, not everyone starts with it. You also need to wield a skinning knife to use the skill - meaning, a knife that says 'this could be used for skinning' when you assess it or view it in a shop.

I don't know if rats drop edible meat, though. Just talk to some people, someone's bound to help you out. Or steal your boots. Or both!

Quote from: Akaramu on February 25, 2017, 01:06:21 PM
When you type SKILLS, do you see a 'skinning' skill anywhere? You need that skill to skin dead animals, not everyone starts with it. You also need to wield a skinning knife to use the skill - meaning, a knife that says 'this could be used for skinning' when you assess it or view it in a shop.

I don't know if rats drop edible meat, though. Just talk to some people, someone's bound to help you out. Or steal your boots. Or both!

I have Skinning, but I don't have suitable knife.
But a good man helped me.
I've cooked poor rat and eat.

Quote from: Feco on February 25, 2017, 12:44:22 PM

If you just closed the program, your PC just sat there until you logged back in, meaning someone could have stolen your things.

I tried always use QUit.
But it could be some disconnect.
Well. I'll try to get some coins somehow.

Quote from: Alterak on February 25, 2017, 01:29:54 PM
Quote from: Feco on February 25, 2017, 12:44:22 PM

I tried always use QUit.
But it could be some disconnect.
Well. I'll try to get some coins somehow.
At the top of the room it will say "quit", so only hit quit in those rooms. Otherwise it wont do anything.

If you are in an area that you can't quit in but have an ooc reason for quiting, something like "My wife is in labor"
"I'm about to shit my pants"(I think I've used this before...I had to go bad)
Or like "Have to go"
You can use quit ooc (reason here) to leave. Next time you log in tho you will HAVE to quit in a quit room.
Rangers can quit outdoors, if you happen to be one.