All Quiet On The Southern Front...

Started by gotdamnmiracle, February 22, 2017, 07:10:19 AM

I've played on and off over the years and gotten to see some pretty cool stuff. The highlight of the game for me is when staff organize some big RPT and our characters get to take part in it. Maybe we get killed along the way, or maybe we pull through in the end and get awarded with some awesome swag. It gives me something to look forward to when I'm not sipping ale in a tavern or skinning animals or what have you. I'm sure these sorts of things take a lot of effort to put together and I understand they can't happen all the time. The problem is I feel like things are different right now, or maybe it's just me. Which is why I come to you fellow players and staff. Is there something I as a player can do more to see stuff like this? Am I just joining the quieter clans lately? It's pretty cool that I can have a new character in under 24 hours, so I don't want to seem overly critical when I know it requires work to maintain that kind of a system. It's just that lately when I log on and see where the game is going it almost feels like it's just running itself. I know this can't be true, but I really want to get in on the action. I just don't know how anymore. I remember points in the game where you could feel something happening across the world. Like with the comet thing. Does any of this happen now? Will any of it happen in the future? Is there something I can do as a player to help push something into motion?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

February 22, 2017, 10:10:36 AM #1 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:22:06 AM by Riev
My personal belief is that, due to the nature of "We're all volunteers" when it comes to staff, many staffers kind of "come and go" when it comes to the work of it all.

We're all assholes, demanding their time, animations, and work, to feed our egos. I imagine that gets tiring ENOUGH, and then you add in huge projects like Akariel's Meatcraft, or For Honor coming out that is ALSO a fun game to play... I don't know how many 'active' staff we have, but if Sponsored Role calls consider "active" players to be around an hour a day, I'd expect staffers have a similar expectation.

Unfortunately, when you're staff over like 15 people, an hour a day doesn't cut it.

Add in the rigmarole about having to send in reports, get reports approved, and then YOUR JUNIOR STAFFER has to get permission from THE TEMPLARATE OF STAFF in order to do any animations that could have any world-changing consequences (read: all of them) and I imagine it is difficult to get a "cool plot" off the ground.

Some PCs don't like railroaded plots. Others, like me, enjoy the adventure from time to time. Show me something new, have a phase spider kill me, give me something to strive for. But you can't please all of us at the same time, and there is so much red-tape and forms in triplicate to please even a starving few.

However, you are right. There isn't much happening. The ones that tell you "Of course there is, just look" are the absolute minority, privy to things because of playtimes, friendships, or plot-runners inviting anyone with a combat skill just to be cooperative. There's little to 'react' to in the world, unless staff animates. Spiders aren't a problem, even GITH aren't a problem, unless staff make them so. And they can't, because of time constraints and bureaucracy

Edited to add: You asked for what you could do, etc. I would suggest, in all honesty, roll up a special app character who has some antagonistic skills out of the gate, and try to start "some shit". Be more of a raider-like elf, roll up a burglar with high pick, or an aged pickpocket who likes to blame everything on elves. Something that, normally, people hate and would go after, but you don't spend AS MUCH TIME grinding the skills needed to be hated. It only takes a "common enemy" to rally the troopsess. We need more players willing to be part of the "Common enemy" more consistently.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

You're going to be disappointed if you're expecting anything other than a sandbox.

You'd be disappointed even if there was a policy change that made animations and world-changing plots more common because of (actual or perceived) accusations of favoritism.

There are at least two major antagonists/groups that have been posted about recently on the IC boards.  If you want action, go and look for it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 22, 2017, 02:28:13 PM
There are at least two major antagonists/groups that have been posted about recently on the IC boards.  If you want action, go and look for it.

This.

There is absolutely a lot going on. Cry "it's not visible enough" all you want, but some of it's even on the rumor boards. All it takes is  a little interaction and right place, right time. Get involved, be proactive, and you will definitely see things happening.

I mean, if you want to be the star of the show, you might need to be patient, but personally I love support/flavor roles.

February 22, 2017, 02:49:15 PM #5 Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 02:51:09 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on February 22, 2017, 07:10:19 AM
I know this can't be true, but I really want to get in on the action. I just don't know how anymore. I remember points in the game where you could feel something happening across the world. Like with the comet thing. Does any of this happen now?

Yes, things like this happen, and they happen fairly often too.  The problem is not everything is a comet falling out of the sky for everyone to see.  Not everything makes the rumor boards, because like or not, Zalanthas is a secretive world.  So lets assume any given RPT involves 5% of the player population at any given time (that's 10-15+ people).  That gives you only 1/20 chance of being involved.  If there are 20 RPT's a year, you might only get involved in one of them. 

If you're hungry for RPT's though, there are things you can do to greatly improve your chances of being involved.

• Plan the RPT.  If you're the one leading, you are virtually guaranteed to be along for the ride.  This does not require you to be a sponsored role, but you need people to show up and you need to do the legwork to coordinate with staff.  If you like doing this sort of thing, consider a sponsored role because that's kind of what those roles do! 

Examples:  Lead a group of people into the sewers to find <insert thing>.  Raid a gith camp.  Organize a larger scale spice sifting operation.

• Inform staff of what you are doing with groups of others.  Even if you don't expect it to be an RPT, the staff might decide it's going to be.  Something as simple as "a group of us are going to be riding from Allanak to Luirs at 3PM on Saturday" could be all the excuse the staff need.

• Join a high population clan.  The Byn, Arm of the Dragon or the Kuraci Fist are almost certainly going to be involved in this kind of thing.  Beware, these clans don't have exciting things going on 24/7, so while you'll probably see more RPT's you might see less day to day action than if you were in a position to do whatever you please.

February 22, 2017, 02:49:35 PM #6 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:27:22 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Well at least thanks to those who at least provided options to "get into it" instead of telling everyone they're wrong.

The point is there used to be a feeling of multiple issues going on at once. Clans that openly disliked each other, getting in shouting matches, while other clans went out and reacted to world-based events. Back in the days when rolling a PC in an area meant you had AUTOMATIC enemies. Rinthers were in an east-west blood feud, Tulukis were against 'Nakkis, desert elves were against the whole fucking Known. You joined a GMH or the Byn to either get away from it all, or be placed right in the damned middle.

Wizturbo has some great ideas, truly. Unfortunately, one requires staff intervention, another requires either staff intervention or "the same social party/cards plot" because most of us have "seen it already", and the other requires that "high population clan" to ALSO be involved in these plots that are most certainly happening. Which I can tell you, after a year in one of these types of clans... they -aren't-.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Play an elf.
Not a desert elf, just an elf.
Everyone will hate you by default, so you automatically cause drama!

Even I saw what was on the rumor boards, and I usually never know anything!  ;D

Oh boy is there stuff going on.  Hold on to your boots. Lots of stuff happening and more coming.  ;)

At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: Riev on February 22, 2017, 03:01:52 PM
Unfortunately, one requires staff intervention, another requires either staff intervention or "the same social party/cards plot" because most of us have "seen it already", and the other requires that "high population clan" to ALSO be involved in these plots that are most certainly happening. Which I can tell you, after a year in one of these types of clans... they -aren't-.

Big world changing plots almost always require staff assistance (I don't think 'intervention' is an accurate word to use).  There's no escaping that.  Either involve the staff, or wait around and hope you're lucky enough to tag along for the ride with someone who is.

With all that said, I really did like what the staff did with the Tableland's event they ran some time back.  Letting players know where they should make a character if they want to be part of the action was a great development for the game, and I hope they continue to do that.

I personally haven't had many plots aside from a couple personal conflicts, but my current character avoids a lot of that sort of thing, so it's hard to tell if I'm just out of the know, or if there is just little going on.

I have a feeling that if you really want in on all the juicy action you're probably best off trying for some sort of Aide / noble employee position. I bet they get invited to all the secret parties.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: Synthesis on February 22, 2017, 02:28:13 PM
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

T'zai Byn, Arm of the Dragon. These are the quick-access key to finding plots. You only need to be semi-active.

There's also the other coded clans like noble houses and GMH's as well as some smaller hunting and raiding organizations ran by players, and the leaders of those tend to rub elbows with people who know what's what.

Whether it's coded or it's player ran, you pretty much need to be in a group of other players to find the big plots.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 22, 2017, 06:50:48 PM
T'zai Byn, Arm of the Dragon. These are the quick-access key to finding plots. You only need to be semi-active.

There's also the other coded clans like noble houses and GMH's as well as some smaller hunting and raiding organizations ran by players, and the leaders of those tend to rub elbows with people who know what's what.

Whether it's coded or it's player ran, you pretty much need to be in a group of other players to find the big plots.

Don't forget the Kuraci Fist.  But Luir's is a little bit of a different world.  It's good though.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I think play-styles will absolutely determine whether or not you get involved in ~totally cool plotz~.

Indies are less likely to experience this, IMO. Under-the-radar clanners are also not likely  to experience much of this.

If you put yourself out there, the plots will reveal themselves to you.

Staff-run plots are fucking amazing, but awesome events should never depend on them. They should be a rare surprising treat.
If you find yourself becoming bored or stagnant in your roles, or not getting much enjoyment out of your PC, then either radically change your playstyle, or store the PC and play something waaaay out of your wheelhouse.
PC plots are awesome, and happen all the time. Nobody is preventing you from starting your own, you know.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

There seems to be a lot going on, but it's more on the 'groups are clashing' than the 'nations are clashing' level.

Then we all need to start recruiting among our families and friends. If we had so many people addicted to arm that we were forced to open more races and tribes, warring nations would be a lot more feasible.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

IMO, combat situations with more than 8 participants on ARM quickly turn into unmanageable 'kill the sponsored role' clusterfucks.  I think you'd need some kind of code support for large scale combat or capturing forts and the like before wars of nations become possible.  There was previously a lot of pressure in the Allanak vs. Tuluk days to not actually engage, because it would inevitably totally wipe out all the PC combatants from the other side, leaving the winner doubly strong because they don't need to start the skill grind from scratch.

If you find there's nothing "to do" then why don't you follow me down this dark, dank-smelling alley. Don't be shy. And remember to bring your boots.  ;)

Quote from: Erythil on February 23, 2017, 11:53:10 PM
There seems to be a lot going on, but it's more on the 'groups are clashing' than the 'nations are clashing' level.

Yeah, this.

I personally feel like there is a lot going on in the game right now. Enough that I have had a few days where I've been afraid to log off lest I miss the next crazy thing.

HOWEVER, if enough people are perceiving that there isn't anything going on, then that is something that's worth looking at. One player's experiences aren't necessarily analogous of the entire playerbase's. The perception of inactivity is functionally different to inactivity from an individual player's POV, you know? I'm just not really sure how to fix it apart from my own suggestions on how to get involved with stuff as a player.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

I think there is a lot going on unless you are looking for the big "Tuluk vs. Allanak" style HRPTs where half the players die - in which case, yes, that's not currently going on.  :)

But you're not ruling out HRPTs where every player dies, right?

God damnit badskeelz, dont tip them off about my end of players plot to replace all PC's with vnpc's.