Author Topic: Dominions 4 AGAIN  (Read 4629 times)

Pale Horse

Re: Dominions 4 AGAIN
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 06:34:37 PM »
I think I still have PTSD from the one MA game where I went Marignon and sent my Virtue Pretender into an Arena Death match..only to keep fighting that damned mummified mage for something like 20 matches before I was worn down by attrition.

I know the bug's been fixed..but still..
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

racurtne

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
I think Heroes 5.8 is conservative enough and includes more Heroes for newer nations.

Also I was reminiscing about that last night pale horse. I felt so bad. Hehe
Alea iacta est

Pale Horse

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 07:04:20 PM »
I think Heroes 5.8 is conservative enough and includes more Heroes for newer nations.

Also I was reminiscing about that last night pale horse. I felt so bad. Hehe

C'est la vie.
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

montarion

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
Changed my mind. Have a cool idea for MA Man I want to try.

So... what's the scuttlebutt on ARM these days?

racurtne

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
Pretender uploaded

Also, thanks Moe, for getting the server going. It's much more convenient.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:02:43 PM by racurtne »
Alea iacta est

Zoltan

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 02:43:05 AM »
Uploaded my pretender. I went with Arco.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Pale Horse

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 09:47:34 AM »
Uploaded my Pretender.

Inks

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
Uploaded, ended up with jotenheim
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

Marauder Moe

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
Uh oh.

Must resist urge to flood the world with skeletons again...   ;D

BadSkeelz

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 01:40:13 PM »
I'm going to be out of town this weekend so if you want to start without me go ahead.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 02:24:04 PM »
Don't mind me, I'm just cheerleading for Moe.

Zoltan

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »
I'm fine waiting for Skeelz to get back, but if the majority wants to get started ASAP, I'm fine with that too.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Pale Horse

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
Tanta faz.

Wait or start, it doesn't matter.  If we start, we'll still wait for his turn in the end.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
If past games are a metric, it's going to take a few days still for everyone to get pretenders in regardless of when we agree to start.

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
I can't remember if there's a way to spectate this. There isn't is there?

Zoltan

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 05:12:59 PM »

Nope. You just get to live vicariously through whatever remarks we make in here. People have been making efforts to make Dom 4 "happen" lately, with long-form AARs on blogging sites (which are the most enjoyable way to second-hand experience Dominions, in my opinion), and even some LP videos on YouTube. I love this game so much, I've contemplated doing my own simple videos and blogs to help with exposure. Things like introductory guides. This game REALLY shines in multiplayer, so the more people interested in general, the better.

But it's a very niche game with a ridiculous learning curve. And the months-long MP games benefit greatly from secrecy and misdirection, so live play-by-plays aren't usually attractive to the player. I know some people put up posts and videos on a set turn delay to work around this, though.

Here's an example of a pretty well-regarded AAR: https://devnada.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/drama-mama-introduction/

This game has some easily tapped potential for storytelling if someone is motivated, which is another reason I'm fond of the AAR format. Also, dominions isn't exactly the most gnarly-awesome game to watch in motion. :D

In addition to this GDB game, if any of you are interested in participating in regular Dom 4 games, you should check out this steam group I joined solely for that purpose: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/clockworkforest

If you want to join up, merely friend request and message the head guy Drithyl and join the Discord server to start getting involved. They have a dedicated server for Dominions games, so it's extremely low-hassle. The community doesn't seem toxic, either, which is always nice. Very knowledgeable and enthusiastic players from all over the world.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

Rathustra

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 06:28:09 PM »

Nope. You just get to live vicariously through whatever remarks we make in here. People have been making efforts to make Dom 4 "happen" lately, with long-form AARs on blogging sites (which are the most enjoyable way to second-hand experience Dominions, in my opinion), and even some LP videos on YouTube. I love this game so much, I've contemplated doing my own simple videos and blogs to help with exposure. Things like introductory guides. This game REALLY shines in multiplayer, so the more people interested in general, the better.

But it's a very niche game with a ridiculous learning curve. And the months-long MP games benefit greatly from secrecy and misdirection, so live play-by-plays aren't usually attractive to the player. I know some people put up posts and videos on a set turn delay to work around this, though.

Here's an example of a pretty well-regarded AAR: https://devnada.wordpress.com/2014/10/06/drama-mama-introduction/

This game has some easily tapped potential for storytelling if someone is motivated, which is another reason I'm fond of the AAR format. Also, dominions isn't exactly the most gnarly-awesome game to watch in motion. :D

In addition to this GDB game, if any of you are interested in participating in regular Dom 4 games, you should check out this steam group I joined solely for that purpose: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/clockworkforest

If you want to join up, merely friend request and message the head guy Drithyl and join the Discord server to start getting involved. They have a dedicated server for Dominions games, so it's extremely low-hassle. The community doesn't seem toxic, either, which is always nice. Very knowledgeable and enthusiastic players from all over the world.

Thanks for the links - good resources! I played in the team game last time Dom 4 made the rounds. I am still salty that apparently our team were the only one that actually planned their pretenders - resulting in everyone just quitting. Goddamn CASUALS.

racurtne

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 06:47:37 PM »
I can't remember who my team's pretender was. But Zoltan's Marignon expansion party with the armless guy cracked me up.

We had some newish people that time. I can't remember why everyone stopped, but I know it wasn't going great for a lot of the teams' expansion. The people playing this one now generally didn't quit on us.
Alea iacta est

Inks

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 06:45:36 AM »
Just play Rath, be cool.  8)
Quote from: Is Friday
Quote from: Synthesis
I hate to break it to you noobs, but penetration isn't the only way to achieve orgasm.Do I have to fucking explain everything here?
Tell me more about your Golden Standard of HG Mudsex RP

montarion

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 02:48:26 PM »
Changed my mind again, went with Ashdod.

Pretender uploaded.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »
Heh.  I'm thinking of giving Vanheim a whirl now.

But we're waiting on Skeelz so let's say we'll probably kick things off Monday.

Also, what do we want for a map?

Zoltan

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »
At the risk of being totally predictable: http://www.indiedb.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/peliwyr-12718-wraparound

That map always feels good to me. It should be suitable for the number of players we have, too. I tend to do my SP tests on it as well.

Just not Urrapland or whatever, please. I recently had a Bogarus game on there that was soul-shatteringly painful due to being spawned in a map move 1 area. Everything was just mountains and forests, several provinces in a row. And when it wasn't those, it was wastes. Yuck.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

racurtne

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
Peliwyr is good.
Alea iacta est

Jingo

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 08:04:21 PM »
What kind of site scatter and indy strength are we expecting?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

racurtne

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 11:54:03 PM »
What kind of site scatter and indy strength are we expecting?

Yeah I did a test game with Bandar Log. They are pretty good.

I think we normally do default on both of those.
Alea iacta est