Cyberpunk & Armageddon

Started by nessalin, February 16, 2017, 02:40:01 PM

I'm not talking about mechanics or anything special here.  But if you can be a full warrior, and then get a boat load of spells on top of it, you're obviously going to have a lot less trouble surviving and blending in than if all you have is spells.

As many of you who seem to have the karma to play this, I'm wondering why the game world isn't crawling with sorcerers.

Quote from: Miradus on February 20, 2017, 04:59:06 PM

As many of you who seem to have the karma to play this, I'm wondering why the game world isn't crawling with sorcerers.
Maybe it is??????!@#$!@#>!@>#

Quote from: wizturbo on February 20, 2017, 04:49:15 PM
I'm not talking about mechanics or anything special here.  But if you can be a full warrior, and then get a boat load of spells on top of it, you're obviously going to have a lot less trouble surviving and blending in than if all you have is spells.

If you chose warrior with sorcerer before, you had everything except the weapon skills while simultaneously branching a lot more spells a lot more quickly.  I'm pretty meh on that.  Think it's kind of more fitting for the Witch Subguilds reaction, because the contribution of 'we need more magick access' seems counter to the spirit of this particular thread.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

It may be interesting to note that an Old-School Sorceror/Warrior is MUCH different than a New School Warrior/Sorceror, for more reasons than "less spells". Not spoiling anything just putting it out there.

Sorceror karma changes have little to no business in a Cyberpunk/Armageddon/Low Fantasy discussion!
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I'm puzzled that a discussion about cyberpunk somehow turned into that unmentionable other thread.  ???

You'd probably understand if you read the first few pages.

We went from -> gritty -> ways to fix a perceived "super friends" in game culture -> viable antagonist concepts for arm PCs ->  subversive elements to the Templarate -> sorcerers.

Whew. That's leaving out the brief static world nihilism and possible jail renovations. Try replacing every mention of templarate with mega-corp and sorcerer with super mutants in your head and see if that makes it appropriately grimpunk for you?

Quote from: Lutagar on February 20, 2017, 05:27:56 PM
We went from -> gritty -> ways to fix a perceived "super friends" in game culture -> viable antagonist concepts for arm PCs ->  subversive elements to the Templarate -> sorcerers.

So we went from -> On topic -> Ways to keep on topic -> slightly off-topic -> What does this have to do with ... -> Here we go again.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Miradus Internet Law #37:

All that can usefully be said on a topic is said in the first three pages. Everything after is derails and rerail attempts.

February 21, 2017, 08:37:09 PM #109 Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:57:33 PM by Dar
Sometimes, I talk to friends of mine about Armageddon. I describe it differently depending on the person of course, but very often my description goes somewhere along, "If during your character story, you burn down a tavern. Because the game is all text, it takes nothing for GMs to make your roleplay influence the gameworld and have that tavern burnt down. So a year later, unless there were some player ran efforts to rebuild it, that tavern stays burnt down."  And they seem interested, or at the very least impressed by the sheer possibility of that.

If you review things that players might find impressive about the going ons of the game. Things that people would want to be part of, or aspire to, or originate, or even be the creators of. Then you come across such things as Dwarven Seige of Allanak, Infiltration of Tuluk and burning down of the tree, creation of T'zai Byn and the Guild, building a tavern, having a book written about them, having a street/landmark/statue made after them, becoming part of lore and history of the game entirely that stayed years beyond the actual character's lifetime.

It's true. The game is not about that. But ... I imagine 90% of the playerbase, would want to do this, or wanted to do this at one point in time. Not with every character. Plenty of players played thir share of drunks and guileless characters that were ment to add color to the gameworld at best and have some awesome scenes during it. But at least every so often. It is a natural human desire in both this game, the other game, or the biggest game of all, the Real Life. 

Multiply this by the fact that many people of our playerbase have been playing for 5-20 years and it should be realized that many players arent particularly all that eager to play yet another average joe schmoe, like the whole cyberpunk theme encourages.  At the same time, a good percentage of people 'have' managed to become part of the lore in one incarnation, or another, and these players have long preferred the average joe schmoing. Enjoying the intricacy of the story, instead of achievement. And this is wonderful. Different players are attracted to the game for different reasons, at a different time. It is just my hope that Armageddon is capable to cater to both and many other aspects of the playerbase interests and desires. And finds this incessant desire for players characters to be the 'world changing heroes' to be an understandable and 'welcome' aspect of their character, for ... the possibility of this exact thing is one of the sizeable charms of a game made out of text.