Idea: Harm Self

Started by RogueGunslinger, February 09, 2017, 09:25:31 PM

Inflict injuries on yourself in incriments of 5, 20 or 50.

[100/100-96/96-115/126]
harm self small (slipping with his knife while cutting the tubers

[95/100-96/96-115/126]
Slipping with his knife while cutting the tubers, you injure yourself.

Been suggested before. I'm curious what others think of the idea these days.

Can we not just roleplay this out? We already RP out lasting effects from injuries anyway.

I hate to trot out the 'easily abused' line, but this idea does seem ripe for it.

>harm self 50
>harm self 10
>bandage self
>harm self 20
>bandage self
>sleep

February 09, 2017, 11:48:14 PM #3 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:51:13 PM by RogueGunslinger
Quote from: Delirium on February 09, 2017, 09:46:50 PM
Can we not just roleplay this out? We already RP out lasting effects from injuries anyway.

I hate to trot out the 'easily abused' line, but this idea does seem ripe for it.

>harm self 50
>harm self 10
>bandage self
>harm self 20
>bandage self
>sleep

A simple timer could fix this. And I like having code that supports roleplay.

>harm self 50
>harm self 10
>bandage self
>harm self 20
>bandage self
>sleep

I would assume if something like this was ever implemented there would be a cap on it.
You can only harm yourself for a certain amount of health points.  Not enough to require bandaging, but enough that you're actually injured if you're playing out an injury that codedly isn't there.  Maybe you can only use it if you're at full health, to prevent people from bumping into the bandage zone if they aren't that injured already.  So it works more like an RP enhancement and not as a way to get those bandage fails.

I like the idea because it's a little strange when you're playing out some sort of current injury (that isn't due to being codedly injured) but when someone assesses you your health is excellent.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 09, 2017, 11:48:14 PM

>harm self 50
>harm self 10
>bandage self
>harm self 20
>bandage self
>sleep

A simple timer could fix this.

Now that's an idea - more broadly.  You could use the timer for logging out (you are too excited) and not just on 'harm self' but any time you are in combat.

In other words, you must wait X minutes after being in combat (or initializing harm self) before you can do 'bandage self'.

Some of the most heart-pounding moments have been when my PC has taken loads of damage, and I have to find a spot away from the damage maker and hold my bandage hoping the damagemaker doesn't find me again -- if there were a delay to this, this would be even better.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: manipura on February 09, 2017, 11:51:43 PM
I like the idea because it's a little strange when you're playing out some sort of current injury (that isn't due to being codedly injured) but when someone assesses you your health is excellent.

Honestly, it's equally as strange when you have a broken bone but you're "bleeding heavily".

tdesc covers this situation pretty well, to my mind.

Now that we have tdesc this is a lot less necessary, but I'd definitely use it were it implemented.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station