Autohitch when mounting, title always targets the mount you are on

Started by nauta, February 06, 2017, 09:56:41 AM

A few ideas about hitching/titling/mounting:

1. Autohitch. When you mount X, you also hitch X (if possible).  'If possible' because sometimes you will have already hitched two mounts other than the one you are mounted upon.

2. No-Argument Title. The title command without a target or argument, titles the mount you are on.

3. Automount.  When you rent X, you automatically mount it (if not already mounted).

4. No-rent hitched.  If a mount is hitched to someone (yourself included), you can't rent it.  Alternative: if a mount is hitched to someone else, you can't rent it.

5. Hitched Command.  'hitch' without argument would list off which mounts are hitched to you.  (I could see a 'follow' command without argument listing off who was following you too as useful.)

What would this solve?

1. Newbie confusions about hitching.  So, says the newbie, I have to both mount and hitch this mount?

2. Multiple mounts.  You go to the stable, hop on your war beetle, and someone else comes in with a war beetle, and so you have to 'hitch 2.war', and if there are many, it takes a while to figure it out.  So too with the 'title' command.

3. Crashes/logging out.  If you log out and a mount is hitched to you, it logs out with you.  If you forget to hitch, though, then it won't.  Likewise (maybe) with crashes: if it is hitched to you, it'll not get lost in a crash.  (I'm not sure about the latter.)

Anyway, super minor.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Also, if you buy a mount you jump on its back if I remember right.  Getting one from the stables and doing the same thing would solve a lot of this.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Maybe a tag that would allow you to quickly being able to parse which animals in the room are hitched to you.

So when you have to hold like three reins in a crowd of ten beetles. It gets hard keeping track.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Somewhat related: down with stabling bugs hitched to someone else!

A special keyword called hitched that points only to those hitched to you?

Look hitched
Look 2.hitched

Unpack 3.hitched

But other people only target their own hitched?

Probably a nightmare to code though!
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

A lot of good suggestions - I've updated the top post to take them into account.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Insigne on February 06, 2017, 10:30:04 AM
Somewhat related: down with stabling bugs hitched to someone else!

This.  You can't mount, pack, stand, or rest a mount hitched to someone else... please add rent to this list.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I'm not a huge fan of all auto-hitching and auto-mounting, even though at times I have definitely wished for some sort of auto-hitch feature. It would definitely need some sort of toggle.

Auto-hitching on unstabling would be alright. Likewise you should not be able to rent a mount you are not currently hitched to.

What I would very much not want to see is an "Autohitch on mount" as that would make leading multiple mounts even more of a keyword juggling act.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 06, 2017, 01:35:43 PM
I'm not a huge fan of all auto-hitching and auto-mounting, even though at times I have definitely wished for some sort of auto-hitch feature. It would definitely need some sort of toggle.

Auto-hitching on unstabling would be alright. Likewise you should not be able to rent a mount you are not currently hitched to.

What I would very much not want to see is an "Autohitch on mount" as that would make leading multiple mounts even more of a keyword juggling act.

I'd agree with that. Isn't needed because I'm pretty sure if just type "hitch" while mounted it hitchs the mount you are on.  So just auto mount on offering your ticket would help when that group of 5 doods rolls in the stable.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 06, 2017, 01:35:43 PM

Can you clarify this a bit?

From what I know, each character can have TWO (max) mounts hitched to them at a given time, which means you could ride Bob, and have George and Sam hitched to you, and travel about with three mounts.

My idea with #1 is that if you type 'mount bob' it would automatically hitch bob if possible (that is, unless you've maxed out your two hitches) -- in this case, it doesn't unhitch George or Sam, it simply doesn't hitch Bob (which is how it works anyway).

Hence, scenarios:

1. No mounts.  'mount bob' would then automatically hitch bob as well.

2. One mount.  You have George hitched.  You mount bob.  The code would automatically hitch Bob as well.  George would remain hitched as well.

3. Two mounts.  You have George and Bob hitched.  You mount Sam.  Since you can't have more than two mounts hitched, you would not automatically hitch 

But..but this would take out all the fun confusion of trying to
organize big rides. Newer people would never know the satisfaction of -finally- getting it right after the attempts of
storing/mounting/hitching everyone else's mount but their own
for the entire morning until managing to set off (ig) hours and
hours after the expected time.  :( 
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Not every character can have two hitched to them. Your hitch cap is dependent on your ride skill. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

Your #3 scenario is assuming we would still be able to mount mounts that are not hitched to us. If Staff decide to look in to the Hitch code there's no Guarantee that will remain the case.

Quote from: WanderingOoze on February 06, 2017, 01:48:20 PM
But..but this would take out all the fun confusion of trying to
organize big rides. Newer people would never know the satisfaction of -finally- getting it right after the attempts of
storing/mounting/hitching everyone else's mount but their own
for the entire morning until managing to set off (ig) hours and
hours after the expected time.  :(

True.  ;)

But I'd rather have the fun of the expedition than the Benny Hill episode. ;D

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 06, 2017, 01:50:04 PM
Not every character can have two hitched to them. Your hitch cap is dependent on your ride skill. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

Your #3 scenario is assuming we would still be able to mount mounts that are not hitched to us. If Staff decide to look in to the Hitch code there's no Guarantee that will remain the case.

True, but I'd be annoyed if that mount left in the salt flats that is still magically hitched to that grabber 10 leagues away who fled without mounting, no longer means I can steal it.

That would be annoy-balls.  I mean the butcher has got to work too.

Yeah, I would assume the unhitching code would remain the same. I definitely think it should. I don't see what Quantum Entanglement Hitching would bring to the game except make it easier for people to not lose their mounts. We have to leave some risk in the system.

What we don't want are people stealing mounts right out from under the proper owner in a stable. This is probably a hypothetical (I've certainly never seen it) but I've always kind of wanted to shadow a Byn troop to the stables, then steal a mount from some newbie and ride off. Hitching-on-unstabling would remove that particular risk.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 06, 2017, 01:57:15 PM
Yeah, I would assume the unhitching code would remain the same. I definitely think it should. I don't see what Quantum Entanglement Hitching would bring to the game except make it easier for people to not lose their mounts. We have to leave some risk in the system.

What we don't want are people stealing mounts right out from under the proper owner in a stable. This is probably a hypothetical (I've certainly never seen it) but I've always kind of wanted to shadow a Byn troop to the stables, then steal a mount from some newbie and ride off. Hitching-on-unstabling would remove that particular risk.

It's happened before, though the unrealism makes it a bit frowned on.  But I remember long ago this was a thing elves liked to do.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 06, 2017, 01:57:15 PM

Ah, I see.

Well, and I could be wrong about this, but the other instance where it would be helpful is with crashes.  I think (I could be wrong) but if a save happens and you are standing next to your mount and it is hitched to you, then you will show up again with that mount after a crash.  (Same thing with logging out.)  Staff can attest that I've filed a lot of reimbursement requests because a crash happened and I wasn't hitched to my mount.  (I love you, Nathvaan!)

Anyway, you can still steal mounts, e.g., if you rest a mount, then go chasing after some critter, and return to your mount, you will be unhitched.  I'm just thinking auto-hitching upon mounting is both (a) realistic and (b) would maybe help with crashes.

But, like I said, super minor.

I don't think it's based on your ride skill.

I think guild_ranger (may not apply to d-elves) just has a static +1 hitched mount bonus.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on February 06, 2017, 02:28:43 PM
I don't think it's based on your ride skill.

I think guild_ranger (may not apply to d-elves) just has a static +1 hitched mount bonus.

There are a couple guilds I know are capable of hitching two mounts at once.
As far as I know, Synth is right and it's nothing to do with the ride skill and completely based on your guild.

Race might play a role, also.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Wow, didn't know this was such an issue!  Looking over the thread, it seems like most of those who are complaining feel strongly about having to type hitch.  Luckily, the solution already exists... just shorten the command to hit, snd it'll save tons of time.

(NEWBIE DISCLAIMER:  Do not fucking do this, please newbs, do not.  There are so much better ways for you to give me your boots.)
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on February 07, 2017, 09:49:00 AM
Wow, didn't know this was such an issue!  Looking over the thread, it seems like most of those who are complaining feel strongly about having to type hitch.  Luckily, the solution already exists... just shorten the command to hit, snd it'll save tons of time.

(NEWBIE DISCLAIMER:  Do not fucking do this, please newbs, do not.  There are so much better ways for you to give me your boots.)

Sparring your bug is a bad bad idea.