Playing Armageddon with spouse?

Started by Melkor, February 05, 2017, 07:31:03 PM

Yo, everyone. So, for the last several years, I have regaled my woman with anecdotes about "ARMAGEDDON," which she always laughed about (she initially thought it was just people RPing in a chatroom.....), but always suggested I play again. I did start playing again and rediscovered my love for it. She is becoming interested, and I am thinking of getting her hooked on this drug. Evil, right?

Now, my question is about first-timers, learning, OOC relationships, and how they all apply.
Initially, I thought it would be easiest to have her make a character related to mine, so I would be there to walk her through noob mistakes, syntax, etc. However, that would not only put a cramp in my styleeee  8)... But it would also probably be a waste, because if my first characters in Arm are any indication, she will die.... quickly.
Now, I am thinking about having her go off and experience stuff on her own, join a house for basic exp and safety, and eventually play with her once she is familiar with the game. After all, I'll still be in the house with her to help her with commands and syntax.
Thoughts?
Have any of you experienced this? Any advice?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

February 05, 2017, 07:36:46 PM #1 Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:41:32 PM by wizturbo
Playing a close relative, friend or even 'mate' in-game is probably a pretty good idea for a first character in my opinion.   It gives you a good reason to spend time together, and makes it realistic if she blabs IC stuff to you around the house.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 05, 2017, 07:36:46 PM
Playing a close relative, friend or even 'mate' in-game is probably a pretty good idea in my opinion.   It gives you a good reason to spend time together, and makes it realistic if she blabs IC stuff to you around the house.

Good point, good point. Though even if I OOCly learned some juicy info about a house, I wouldnt act on it. Still a good point.

Had an issue 10 years ago when I tried helping my younger brother learn the game. It went horribly, though I was pretty noobish, too.

Let us know how it goes, whatever you guys decide to do. I think a joint concept would be cool, or just meeting up in game and going from there (like in any other MMO). Whatever you guys do, let us know if she likes it or not and what could have gone better for her.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Help her set up, get her into the game, show her syntax and get her comfortable with emoting.

Then kill her. Show her what we do.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Let me state that I think this is a horrible idea. Perfectly horrible.

If my wife played Arm, we'd never get anything done around here at all.

I would strongly suggest using her as mantis bait.

I will say the mud sex might put a little kinky heat into the relationship.

Maybe.

Just saying. ;)

At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on February 06, 2017, 10:29:00 AM

Maybe.

Just saying. ;)

...I want to say this is true, but it's not. When you have a threeway with your spouse's PC, her PC ends up crying, and you end up with the other PC, then conspire to have the first one killed....

Wait, that is pretty kinky. B-dubs, strawberry jam is NOT a suitable replacement for ginka sauce. The tingle just isn't there. In fact, the only real positive change that actually happens, is when your friends brag that they did someone in an airport bathroom, you can laugh at them and say you fucked atop a heap of dead raptors, spiced out of your gourd, lost in the desert.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on February 06, 2017, 11:34:25 AM
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on February 06, 2017, 10:29:00 AM

Maybe.

Just saying. ;)

...I want to say this is true, but it's not. When you have a threeway with your spouse's PC, her PC ends up crying, and you end up with the other PC, then conspire to have the first one killed....

Wait, that is pretty kinky. B-dubs, strawberry jam is NOT a suitable replacement for ginka sauce. The tingle just isn't there. In fact, the only real positive change that actually happens, is when your friends brag that they did someone in an airport bathroom, you can laugh at them and say you fucked atop a heap of dead raptors, spiced out of your gourd, lost in the desert.

I was thinking like...this...

;)
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I've never had an SO play this with me, but I've had a lot of RL friends or previous-game-friends come to try it out.  The first character or two together works out well, but inevitably it turns into something where they expect it to be a long term OOC alliance.  A lot of the time, me saying that's not really how it works is what kills the interest in the game for them.  To which I *shrug*.

As long as it doesn't turn into permanent, involved OOC alliances, I think you'll be just fine with it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on February 06, 2017, 11:59:04 AM
I've never had an SO play this with me, but I've had a lot of RL friends or previous-game-friends come to try it out.  The first character or two together works out well, but inevitably it turns into something where they expect it to be a long term OOC alliance.  A lot of the time, me saying that's not really how it works is what kills the interest in the game for them.  To which I *shrug*.

As long as it doesn't turn into permanent, involved OOC alliances, I think you'll be just fine with it.

I think allying with each other, when you live together and love each other, should be okay, as long as you aren't suiciding off a cliff everytime your SO's character dies.  Then keep playing, when death comes, go and maybe hook up with the other, or let it happen organically. 

I know there is a "don't keep playing with the same people" thing in Arm, due to people having an advantage or something, or possibly "cheating" but in the case of spouses,  I would personally not care.  Let them have their fun.  It's probably good for them, and we maybe get a new long term player in this case.

Like you said, though, when it's your buddy across town who always wants to be your hunting buddy all the time every time...that's a little...well I'd just find it annoying after two or three chars.

I guess I should be more specific to avoid that confusion.

When I said permanent, involved OOC alliances, I meant where through death, you just pop up somewhere else in the world with the expressed idea of getting that part of the world somehow benefiting your SO.

I fully expect people who enjoy spending time together to continue to spend time together in ways coolest to them.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on February 06, 2017, 12:15:27 PM
I guess I should be more specific to avoid that confusion.

When I said permanent, involved OOC alliances, I meant where through death, you just pop up somewhere else in the world with the expressed idea of getting that part of the world somehow benefiting your SO.

I fully expect people who enjoy spending time together to continue to spend time together in ways coolest to them.

Yeah, I get you.  I'm in agreement.  :)  Though if you both happen to be in Luir's...I mean.  They got those curtained booths for a reason.  ;)

Anyway.  I guess the one thing I'm not sure anyone has said, is that you should use the Request Tool to let them know their are two players playing from the same IP or whatever.

I will be a dissenting voice and suggest that you should store (or just stop playing) your current character and just watch over her shoulder while she learns over a character or two.

Playing together and her learning the game with essentially no OOC separation can set bad precidents and lead to bad situations.

I'd say, paradoxically, that she should be able to play independently before you two should play together.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 06, 2017, 12:19:22 PM
I will be a dissenting voice and suggest that you should store (or just stop playing) your current character and just watch over her shoulder while she learns over a character or two.

Playing together and her learning the game with essentially no OOC separation can set bad precidents and lead to bad situations.

I'd say, paradoxically, that she should be able to play independently before you two should play together.

That would be good too.  But it's also quite likely they don't want to play without doing it with each other.  Dunno.  I guess do what makes your SO most comfortable with playing.

So... Some are for playing together, Moe is for her playing solo while I tutor her, and others just came to make me laugh a lot.

Good stuff.

I'll talk it out with her.

Whatever you do, make sure you inform staff.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Of course. I want everything to be on the level.

Quote from: Melkor on February 06, 2017, 06:18:42 PM
Of course. I want everything to be on the level.

I think Feco means there will be two actually players coming from your IP so it doesn't look like you're multiplaying and you both wind up tempbanned.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

My SO and I have both been playing for several years. Initially, we just informed staff that we would be sharing an IP address. He started playing before me, so he coached me through syntax and the general feel of the game. It's a bit of an unspoken rule that we do NOT play characters that interact with each other. We've ended up in the same clan/tribe twice, but not intentionally and it was super awkward. Neither of us felt comfortable really interacting with each other in game because we were so worried about something being seen as OOC communication. So, for those characters we avoided playing at the same times.

I don't recommend intentionally playing with someone you know, especially someone you live with. If rp leads to you killing her character, or your mistake ends in her character's death it can be difficult to separate rp from OOC and not be angry with the person (at least for me). I try to just avoid the situation altogether. It can also become a situation where OOC communication is interfering with rp or leads to metagaming.

Also, families need to be approved through staff first... and they may discourage the two of you being related in game (I'd check with them though).

Gosh, you're right, tiptoe. We *have* played together, on and off, for years. ;) <3
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

My spouse and I have Mudded together for many years, although not recently.  I highly recommend it.  And it goes better for us when our PCs play together as friends, not mates.  Playing as mates means one day having to RP a mate's death, and then going on alone with your PC's life, which caused all sorts of issues for us.  So we don't do that anymore.

This is so sweet! Although I'd played text-based games for years already (which made it way easier to get over the learning curve in Arm), I was introduced to this game by my then-SO, the infamous Psionic Fungus (hi, Bill!). We had a blast but never really played together, but eventually he had to have an intervention with me because Arm was, like, ALL we talked about.

Ditto what other people said about keeping staff informed that you're sharing an IP address, and don't forget to take breaks and go on dates without wearing your armor and fancy boots.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Quote from: boog on February 06, 2017, 07:28:26 PM
Gosh, you're right, tiptoe. We *have* played together, on and off, for years. ;) <3

<3 <3

I'd feel bad if I killed you, boo(g).

To be perfectly honest, what problems may come will be personal because of who you two are. There's not set formula. I begged my mate to play the game, but didn't give any OOC help other than syntax and commands for their first char.

They ragequit, and I think several months later when I didn't give a shit, they started playing again in secret. Now, we just go about our own IG business. "Don't play with each other IG?" Six people are on, and I'm playing my char realistically. There's two possibilities for which char my SO is playing, so should I ignore them both? Or play as my char would normally do? I go for the latter, no holds barred on what may or may not happen.

The best thing that we've done for our playing is just not share unless the chars are dead, and play in different rooms. 16 hours of silence... it's beautiful.
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Hey. Wanna go somewhere this friday?

What do you have in mind?

I'm thinking Blackwing Outpost.

Tiptoe, Refugee, Ourla, Raptor_Dan...
Thank you all. This was the type of lucid, cogent input I needed.
I am noticing a trend: everyone's behavior and experiences are unique to their own personalities and idiosyncrasies.

Quote from: tiptoe on February 06, 2017, 06:32:50 PM
My SO and I have both been playing for several years. Initially, we just informed staff that we would be sharing an IP address. He started playing before me, so he coached me through syntax and the general feel of the game. It's a bit of an unspoken rule that we do NOT play characters that interact with each other. We've ended up in the same clan/tribe twice, but not intentionally and it was super awkward. Neither of us felt comfortable really interacting with each other in game because we were so worried about something being seen as OOC communication. So, for those characters we avoided playing at the same times.

I don't recommend intentionally playing with someone you know, especially someone you live with. If rp leads to you killing her character, or your mistake ends in her character's death it can be difficult to separate rp from OOC and not be angry with the person (at least for me). I try to just avoid the situation altogether. It can also become a situation where OOC communication is interfering with rp or leads to metagaming.

Also, families need to be approved through staff first... and they may discourage the two of you being related in game (I'd check with them though).

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on February 06, 2017, 10:04:52 PM
To be perfectly honest, what problems may come will be personal because of who you two are. There's not set formula. I begged my mate to play the game, but didn't give any OOC help other than syntax and commands for their first char.

They ragequit, and I think several months later when I didn't give a shit, they started playing again in secret. Now, we just go about our own IG business. "Don't play with each other IG?" Six people are on, and I'm playing my char realistically. There's two possibilities for which char my SO is playing, so should I ignore them both? Or play as my char would normally do? I go for the latter, no holds barred on what may or may not happen.

The best thing that we've done for our playing is just not share unless the chars are dead, and play in different rooms. 16 hours of silence... it's beautiful.

Susie and I already game in different rooms. I'm a laptop on the couch typa guy. Shes a battlestation type of girl. So that would eliminate any OOC convos taking place, if we were to play together. 

I wish you the utmost happiness in playing together.

All advice and wisdom I could offer towards it would be cursed knowledge however.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Quote from: Malifaxis on February 07, 2017, 05:36:08 PM

All advice and wisdom I could offer towards it would be cursed knowledge however.

Details. :D

Quote from: Melkor on February 07, 2017, 05:55:29 PM
Quote from: Malifaxis on February 07, 2017, 05:36:08 PM

Details. :D

Heh heh... maybe no.

Lol oh god... So she wants to explore the game solo before we decide if/when to play together. Shes conceptually creating her character right now.... Guys.... I'm not going to give details.... But regarding her race/guild/subguild choices...... Shes so dead XD

BUT HALF ELVES ARE SO FUN TO EXPLORE THE POLITICAL CLIMATE.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

If you decide to play with a dating partner always play breeds so when you start hating each other you can call your mood swings side effects of being breedy.

My suggestion is like other said, make sure staff knows.  I actually think you should look into doing a Family/Tribe role together.  This would allow you to be approved to "know" each other prior to character creation and also be able to work on a Family concept together.  You could just do it the two of you, or add in two others to your family.

The largest piece of advise is try to avoid talking about IC events that can spoil things to her, or potentially even influence their actions.  I had a roommate that played before and we'd talk about the game, but we'd make sure to not spoil anything for each other.  I may go "Hey, go check out the Allanak Board sometime, there was something neat on there." because that doesn't hurt anything and is public knowledge to anyone that logs in.  I would tell him about how my character is plotting to kill someone or whatever, as that can just influence their actions in game... oh and technically it breaks the rules.

Living with someone that plays the game can be extremely difficult because of the whole OOC aspect, but it can also be very rewarding.  I know a couple that don't even tell each other who they play or even details of what they've been doing...  at all.  I can respect that, and likely is the perfect way to do it to avoid any sort of issue.

Family/Tribal Roles Info:
http://armageddon.org/help/view/Family%20and%20Tribal%20Roles
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

As ideal as that is, its such a heavy asking price.

We have this game, that is super addicting and really fun to play. The stories are amazing, some good writers come together to collaborate.

BUT NEVER. EVER. TELL SOMEONE ABOUT THE GAME. SOME BAD APPLES HAVE RUINED THE BUNCH AND IF YOUR WIFE FINDS OUT YOU'RE DEAD.

Quote from: Riev on February 08, 2017, 02:23:00 PM
As ideal as that is, its such a heavy asking price.

We have this game, that is super addicting and really fun to play. The stories are amazing, some good writers come together to collaborate.

BUT NEVER. EVER. TELL SOMEONE ABOUT THE GAME. SOME BAD APPLES HAVE RUINED THE BUNCH AND IF YOUR WIFE FINDS OUT YOU'RE DEAD.

In some cases, allowing people to be responsible adults who can act responsibly kind of has to be allowed.  For people to enjoy it and maybe strengthen a relationship whether it is marriage or friendship or family.

Until otherwise shown not responsible, maybe Arm can be a place people can be trusted until they aren't trustworthy.  Like lots of places really.

The best part about DnD for me is talking to the people who aren't in my group about the awesome things we did.

I will admit to waiting till they get to the same part if someone is running the same out-of-a-book adventure for me as for them.

Which sometimes applies to Arm in the case of a cool place you can find in game but not necessarily to that cool party that Faile threw that their PC wasn't invited too.

Does it really hurt to tell them that there were HG strippers with clown make-up and a pool filled with Kank-jelly?

Never mind just dropping 2 sids. 

Of course it does, Shoka! What if ICly only ONE of those HGs  is known to be a stripper, and someone knows the other one is a SEKRIT ASSASSIN BUT WAS DEAD FOR TWELVE YEARS

This game IS serious mode, but sometimes people take it far too seriously. A small sample of people who play the game to "disrupt" cause issues, and we all lock down tighter than the new guy in D block.

Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on February 08, 2017, 02:13:54 PM
My suggestion is like other said, make sure staff knows.  I actually think you should look into doing a Family/Tribe role together.  This would allow you to be approved to "know" each other prior to character creation and also be able to work on a Family concept together.  You could just do it the two of you, or add in two others to your family.

The largest piece of advise is try to avoid talking about IC events that can spoil things to her, or potentially even influence their actions.  I had a roommate that played before and we'd talk about the game, but we'd make sure to not spoil anything for each other.  I may go "Hey, go check out the Allanak Board sometime, there was something neat on there." because that doesn't hurt anything and is public knowledge to anyone that logs in.  I would tell him about how my character is plotting to kill someone or whatever, as that can just influence their actions in game... oh and technically it breaks the rules.

Living with someone that plays the game can be extremely difficult because of the whole OOC aspect, but it can also be very rewarding.  I know a couple that don't even tell each other who they play or even details of what they've been doing...  at all.  I can respect that, and likely is the perfect way to do it to avoid any sort of issue.

In the future, we very well might, but she decided she wants to be a big girl and experience how mean this game can be playing solo. All I'm gonna provide is syntax and command help.

I can see us showing restraint on not sharing critical IC info, but I would at least like to know how her game is going. Regardless, my character will act appropriately in accordance with his personality.

Quote from: Riev on February 08, 2017, 02:39:53 PM
Of course it does, Shoka! What if ICly only ONE of those HGs  is known to be a stripper, and someone knows the other one is a SEKRIT ASSASSIN BUT WAS DEAD FOR TWELVE YEARS

This game IS serious mode, but sometimes people take it far too seriously. A small sample of people who play the game to "disrupt" cause issues, and we all lock down tighter than the new guy in D block.

Ahhh...but I didn't describe the HG strippers.   ;)

Yeah playing this game to be a troll is pretty easy if you have IC info and a will to do so.

But responsible person is responsible.  Not responsible person is troll.  I guess I occasionally get these images in my head of WWII posters about loose lips and stuff.  Lol.

Quote from: Melkor on February 08, 2017, 03:00:38 PM
Quote from: JustAnotherGuy on February 08, 2017, 02:13:54 PM

In the future, we very well might, but she decided she wants to be a big girl and experience how mean this game can be playing solo. All I'm gonna provide is syntax and command help.

I can see us showing restraint on not sharing critical IC info, but I would at least like to know how her game is going. Regardless, my character will act appropriately in accordance with his personality.

If I would also suggest, help with Cultural Information.  It's great when someone tries to RP that breeds are all nasty and elves are not trusted.  Also that Nobles are bowed to and Templars can kill you without a second thought (plus bowed to).  It can be really helpful to talk about some of the basics when it comes to culture and setting.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"