Amos starts scanning the area.

Started by Shoka Windrunner, February 03, 2017, 10:42:12 AM

So, I saw someone use scan the other day and I started wondering...if it's that obvious that someone is scanning the area, as in, it's not a hidden emote or something you see if watching someone, why does it only do it at the start of the scanning?  I know you turn it on, and it stays on for a while.

So, should it be more of a hidden emote, notice this when watching a person?

Or maybe it should give occasional echoes that show you continue to look around intently?

Or just leave it alone and just accept it as kind of old code no one has the time worry about?

Or am I missing the tell tale sign that someone is still scanning?

Also, does it echo like this if you start listening?  Because that I feel would be really odd.  There is a difference between looking around at everyone and everything intently, and just concentrating on the sounds you can hear.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I consider scanning as a more 'active'  looking about for obvious threats, or people making attempts to be unseen. While most of us just 'set it and forget it', you are in essence in constant vigilance for any figures subtly trying to move around the area. So, it echoes when you're doing this.

Listening requires nothing but concentration, so it doesn't echo.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Is there any indicator, besides the original echo that someone is continuing to keep their head on a swivel?
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Negative. If you're scanning the area, and move into a new room, you're still scanning, but other people don't know it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Maybe there aught to be, like..if I'm a sneaky assasin guy
casing a group or area, I think I'd be able to tell who looks
a bit more on edge/alert and which guard is more likely to
fall asleep at his post. Not sure how it would work...maybe
have it tied to the watch skill somehow. 'watch' your target
and maybe have a chance to tell if they're scanning when
you look or maybe asses them? "So-and-so appears to be
alert"  Or, something. I'm not known for my Ideas.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Maybe if you look at them, it gets appended at the end.  Like:

The awesome dood looks alert to his surroundings.

Put it in the assess command where you can already see who is watching you.

And the assess command gives anyone scanning the chance to see that YOU'RE looking to see who is scanning.

Balance.

Quote from: Miradus on February 03, 2017, 03:16:28 PM

And the assess command gives anyone scanning the chance to see that YOU'RE looking to see who is scanning.

Balance.

Works.  It also can see if someone looks at you.  Both seem good and theoretically simple to code.  Probably the assess one is easiest.  Neat.   ;D

Quote from: Miradus on February 03, 2017, 03:16:28 PM

Balance.

That would be great yeah.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I'd like to see sitting or resting cancel scan. I'm sick of seeing:

Amos sits at the long, scarred bar of agafari wood.

Amos intently scans the area.

Amos goes AFK for 30 minutes.

It's like that excessively shitty guy you used to play D&D with who tries arguing with the DM that he's "always using perception" even when he never says so.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Fortunately there are already severe penalties to scan when sitting/resting. You're better off using watch.

Or you just forgot that you were scanning in the first place, since it's set and forget.