Enhanced Subguilds

Started by Miradus, February 01, 2017, 11:07:40 AM

Yup. If you hunt and skin enough Templars, you'll eventually learn Tatlum.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on February 01, 2017, 06:21:23 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 01, 2017, 06:11:15 PM
There's also no extended sub-guild with Sap. There's some other holes I can't think of at the moment.

Slipknives branch sap.

Slipknives begin play with sneak, hide, backstab, and poisoning - the former two can be learned to the level of master, while the latter two can be learned to the level of advanced. By practicing their ability to hide, slipknives learn to throw weapons at their opponents from the shadows, and can achieve the level of journeyman. With proper training in backstabbing, slipknives will learn to sap, and can achieve a journeyman level in that skill.

Ah, yeah. I mean start with it. Basically to bypass having to deal with branching the skill you have to take a regular sub-guild.

An extended subguild with incomparable language learning speed, and advanced elvish.

As it stands right now, if you speak advanced elvish, everyone's going to think you're a breed.

Or a couple of other subguilds where it makes sense to have advanced and journeyman elvish, like I dunno, the prostitute subguild. ~Can't be picky!~
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I mean I have popped Allundean on nearly every character that hung around elves and actually got moderately good at it so thats a moot point I guess.

That being said, I would personally enjoy being that guy who talks shit about you in a different language to the guy right beside you so its whatever.

I could get behind thug++. Cutpurse and slipknife both cap out at Journeyman, which is right around where the original thug subguild caps out. It's been a while since I've ran around sapping people, but I'm pretty sure the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages at that point...

Brute : Sap, kick, bash, subdue, sneak, hide? (Bludgeon?)

On a side note, it's kind of funny that Templars can't speak Tatlum around commoners on the off chance that some kitchen scullion might randomly go all Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan on them and learn that Tek is actually suffering from a bad case of gonorrhea.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

I wonder where does the "Templars 'cant' speak tatlum in front of commoners come from" They speak tatlum all the time. Put a pair of templars that are pissed off at each other in the same room and there'll be Tatlum thrown back and forth guarantee it.

February 02, 2017, 10:21:08 AM #32 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 10:24:25 AM by Inks
Plenty of subs get sap to start with.

I would like to see a master bowyer subguild. (Archer extended sub with the same level of archery but master dyemaking/ bowmaking)

Idk, I've never played a Templar and I rarely play as one of their lackeys. Someone else mentioned that it was a rule. I can't verify whether or not that's true.

OOC, it comes from the coded fear that someone will randomly pop the language. IC, the easy answer is that they're afraid that a servant, given years of time and exposure, might pick up on it and learn to speak it. But if you think of it that way, there's a weird catch-22 at play; what's the point of having a secret language if you can't speak it in front of people who don't already know it?

See the helpfile on Tatlum for more ideas as to why it might be illegal. ;) Shade, profit, and George Bush did 9/11.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on February 02, 2017, 10:35:27 AM
what's the point of having a secret language if you can't speak it in front of people who don't already know it?

You can't be spied on by people who shouldn't be in a room with you, but are hiding there anyway.  ;)

The language code for PCs isn't very realistic. Templar slaves / trusted servants hear tatlum for years and years without learning how to speak it. PC's, though...

February 02, 2017, 11:52:40 AM #35 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 01:13:43 PM by Shoka Windrunner
Quote from: Akaramu on February 02, 2017, 11:34:52 AM
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on February 02, 2017, 10:35:27 AM
what's the point of having a secret language if you can't speak it in front of people who don't already know it?

You can't be spied on by people who shouldn't be in a room with you, but are hiding there anyway.  ;)

The language code for PCs isn't very realistic. Templar slaves / trusted servants hear tatlum for years and years without learning how to speak it. PC's, though...

Templar slaves and trusted servants areN'T dumb enough to try to figure it out...

PCs though...   ;)

Edited for clarity.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

I bet that Templar servants know when a Templar screams "Aggafoodarb!" angrily, that it means something bad is about to happen to someone.

Quote from: Miradus on February 02, 2017, 01:06:58 PM

I bet that Templar servants know when a Templar screams "Aggafoodarb!" angrily, that it means something bad is about to happen to someone.

The smart ones will only quietly get out of the way, that's why they are trusted.  Least that's my thoughts.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: wizturbo on February 02, 2017, 12:26:06 AM
Tatlum can be learned by anyone.  The fact that only Templar's seem to know it is not an indication of some OOC restriction to learning it, it's a reflection of how intensely enforced the secrecy of Tatlum is in the Known World.

This

Quote from: Dar on February 02, 2017, 01:18:17 AM
Yup. If you hunt and skin enough Templars, you'll eventually learn Tatlum.

You forgot the eating their tongues part.

today I learned that Tatlum is the secret language of the templars by reading the GDB.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on February 08, 2017, 11:18:04 AM
today I learned that Tatlum is the secret language of the templars by reading the GDB.
I mean, it says it on the helpfiles if you were being serious.

The secret language Rangers use to discuss things is Heshrak.

Heshrak is Gith speak. And  nzkrit or whatever is mantis. Its all in the helpfiles and such.

Quote from: Hauwke on February 09, 2017, 06:37:54 AM
Heshrak is Gith speak. And  nzkrit or whatever is mantis. Its all in the helpfiles and such.

I know it is. You've gotta earn it.  ;D