Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 19004 times)

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
Re: Fitness
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2019, 05:23:10 AM »
I subpluxed my left shoulder years ago, yeah.

Know if bodyweight instead of lifting is safe to do whilst recovering?
You're going to want to start with a physical therapy type of routine until you can achieve full ROM without pain. Bands, soup cans, things like that. I remember pullups hurt for over a year (still did them, but I don't recc that.)

Workout yesterday:
Squats - 270x1, 270x1, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5. Deloading, didn't feel very good lifting heavy.
Bench - 225x5, x5.
Barbell Row - 185x5, x5.

I think I'm going to switch up my routine fairly soon. I am struggling to lift 5x5 on squat every other day.
And then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2019, 04:56:56 PM »
Nothing over the weekend (bleh), but got my lifts in Tuesday:
squat 165 lb 5x5 - easy
OH press 65 lb 5x5 - easy
deadlift 145 lb 5x5 - huuh

Interested to see where the squats start getting dicey, and whether I can actually keep +5ing through ~85 lb (previous max) on the OH press.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

Jarvis

« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2019, 06:40:52 AM »
I subpluxed my left shoulder years ago, yeah.

Know if bodyweight instead of lifting is safe to do whilst recovering?
You're going to want to start with a physical therapy type of routine until you can achieve full ROM without pain. Bands, soup cans, things like that. I remember pullups hurt for over a year (still did them, but I don't recc that.)

Workout yesterday:
Squats - 270x1, 270x1, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5. Deloading, didn't feel very good lifting heavy.
Bench - 225x5, x5.
Barbell Row - 185x5, x5.

I think I'm going to switch up my routine fairly soon. I am struggling to lift 5x5 on squat every other day.

Cheers mate.
The man puts his tongued, grotesque, translucent groin rig on over his eyes.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #278 on: January 10, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »

Switched to the Starting Strength app ($9,) mostly because Rippetoe is my new preacher, so I may as well buy the app to go with the book I bought. It's not very intuitive but I figured it out with some playing around. I like that you can reference his book from within it and it has more options than the free Stronglifts. Also, I'm sick of doing 5x5s--my body was falling apart. 3x5s will treat me better.

I don't drink a gallon of milk a day, though, heh. ('cause I'm too big for that, anyway.)

Took the other day off and Tuesday I did a cardio-esque routine.

Also, LOL:

I feel good about my investment because I'm where Rippetoe said I'd be in his book (reading is the video above.) Keep at it @brytta!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:15:31 PM by Is Friday »

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #279 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
Thursday:
squat 165 lb 5x5
bench 95 lb 5x5
barbell row 75 lb 5 reps, only 4 sets

My previous barbell row was ostensibly 95 lb, but it Was Not Happening today. Checked my form against the video and felt better after adjusting, but I'd already put some strain in my back, so.

If I get my Saturday workout in, I'll add a short run...I don't want to do distance running, but getting a tiny bit of wind back would be good.

Bebop

« Reply #280 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
What app is that that you guys are using?  It's probably already been mentioned but I don't want to scroll forever.

This week is week four of cardio 4X a week.  I'm not seeing a huge amount of weight lose.  Grr.  But my mile is getting faster and I can tell I'm getting into better shape after neglecting cardio for some time since my dad passed away so I'll take that as a win since losing weight is more of a thing I want to do than a thing I need to do.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #281 on: January 11, 2019, 03:44:37 PM »

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2019, 01:06:32 AM »
Did a 3 mile run with 4 blocks of calisthenics divided up into it.

30 pushups
30 squats
30 sit ups
10 burpees
X4

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2019, 05:26:44 AM »
Missed yesterday cause I was walking around all day in a city.

Today:
Squat - 275 x 5, 5, 5
Bench - 235 x 5, 5, 3 (feels bad man)
Deadlift- 355 x 5, 5, 5
Chinups - 10, 10, 10

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »
Nothing all weekend, though I did snowshoe 2 miles which was fun.

Monday:
Squat 170 lb 5x5
OH Press 70 lb 5x5
Deadlift 155 lb 5x5
Run/walk 1 mile in like 9:40.  :-[

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #285 on: January 16, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »
Went about 4-5 miles today on a run. Feet went numb about 3 miles in for whatever reason. My back probs better not be returning.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #286 on: January 17, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »

Almost had the last rep on deadlift--got it halfway up. (That's what she said.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:52:42 AM by Is Friday »

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #287 on: January 17, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
Procure some!

Bebop

« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »
Finally seeing my weight trending down.  It's week 5 of going to the gym 4x a week and doing at least a 400 calorie burn (approximately 4 miles).  I'm incorporating core workouts in now.  I have about 6 - 10 lbs more where I want to focus on fat loss.  From there I want to focus on muscle building to retain and harden.  I am however, doing good on my macros and even though I'm not strength training too hard ATM, I've got my protein set at about 30% - 40% most days.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #289 on: January 17, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »
Wednesday didn't happen, so Thursday:
squat 175 lb 5x5
bench press 100 lb 5x5
barbell row 75 lb 5x5

My previous barbell row was ostensibly 95 lb, but it Was Not Happening today.

Turns out that one set of plates is marked in kg. Oops. (45 lb + kg_to_lb(50 kg) = 155 lbs.)

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »

I was halfway up on bench again for the last rep. Damn it. I need some 2.5lb plates--someone stole them out of the HITT box I use. Guess I'll have to go to the official gym for my next bench day and do 230lbs.

Cind

« Reply #291 on: January 22, 2019, 04:04:56 AM »
Yoga and tai chi feel great, and your body gets used to the nonbeginner poses after a week or two, making them easier to do.

I've been eating raw fresh tomatoes and bell pepper pieces with sriracha, the magic sauce.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #292 on: January 23, 2019, 09:30:51 AM »

I have a tweaked wrist right now so things like overhead press and bench press are a struggle. Gonna start deloading on those exercises so that I don't make it worse. Same with chin ups, might just go easy for a week or two because of my wrist.

Bebop

« Reply #293 on: January 23, 2019, 01:12:16 PM »
Dropped another pound this week.  I'm increasing my intensity on my runs and this week going for 5 days a week instead of 4.  I'm 5 lbs from goal and I've got 4 weeks.  I'm going to keep staying in my calorie deficit.  Also going to keep up the workout routine on vacation.  When I get back I plan to continue cutting and assuming I've dropped the 5 lbs I want start incorporate strength training to solidify my base.

I'm getting the swing of eating in my deficit.  My macros lately have been spot on and honestly?  With what I'm eating I'm pretty happy.  I love my honeycrisp apple with natural peanut butter and cinnamon or raspberries in vegan yogurt.  Last night I cut out the apple to have some pirogi for dinner.  Tonight I'm making breakfast tacos, which I'm looking forward to.

Eggs and seafood are helping me get the protein I need.  My diet isn't vegan but it's still strongly plant based and currently doesn't include any poultry, mammal and very little dairy.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #294 on: January 23, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
Monday:
squat 180 lb 5x5
OH press 75 lb
deadlift 165 lb

Wednesday:
squat 185 lb 5x5 - hey, actually squatting my body weight now :D
bench press 105 lb 5x5
barbell row 80 lb 5x5

Seems like I've got a time that's working well. Added "workout" to my MWF work calendar.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #295 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:09 PM »
Quote from: Brytta Léofa
hey, actually squatting my body weight now :D

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #296 on: January 25, 2019, 08:33:57 PM »
Monday:
squat 180 lb 5x5
OH press 75 lb
deadlift 165 lb

Friday:
squat 190 lb 5x5
OH press 80 lb
deadlift 135 lb - it completely sucked and I hate deadlift so I took off a bunch of weight  :-[

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #297 on: January 26, 2019, 07:20:01 AM »
@brytta You might want to check your form. But yeah, deadlift sucks. It's never comfortable.

Doing okay on power cleans since I've added them. It doesn't feel heavy yet. My form isn't very good, though. Working on that.

BUSTED through being stuck on bench press today. I watched a lot of form videos and practiced this past week. Turned out it was easier than I thought it would be with just minor form tweaks.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2019, 06:45:15 AM »

I am riding the struggle bus. I am deloading on my squats because I didn't like that my form was suffering as I kept adding weight. I think I can get back up to 305 working set in a week or two while focusing on good form.

I failed on bench because I was in the wrong position under the bar the first set. The last set I just couldn't do it. Oh well. I'll get it next time.

Is Friday

• My Twitch Channel
« Reply #299 on: January 31, 2019, 04:47:04 PM »
Just went for a run listening to RUN THE JEWELS. Did 4x pace race laps for my 3 mile. Man, I'm so slow. I definitely let my sprints go this past month. I'll need to get back into it for my PFT run in a couple months. I'd be happy with a 20-21min, though.