Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 4767 times)

boog

Re: Fitness
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2017, 10:06:23 PM »
I'm dying of laughter. Oh my god. <3 <3 <3 Nothing against you, H. I'm just tickled.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Pale Horse

« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
I skipped my cardio workout for several days, using the excuses of "it's too cold" "I'm not feeling well," etc, etc.

Today the weather is great and I'm feeling just fine so I told my excuses to shut up.  I put on my running vest and hit the streets.  Intervals of quicker running mixed with a good swift march for about 2 miles then another 2 mile march on an uphill grade back to my house.  Google maps says it was about 4.3 miles, which is just fine by me.  Doing this every other day and I should be able to shrink my waist another few inches.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

boog

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2017, 04:19:06 PM »
God, static state cardio is the pits, but I'm gonna run with my eldest son tonight for about 25 minutes upstairs on the little balcony that outlines the gym above at the Y before my weights (while the younger one has swim lessons) because...

Well, okay. Monday. He has soccer every Monday.

This motherfucker kept asking his coach how long they had until they would break. He kept falling all over himself, tripping over literally NOTHING. I can chalk some of that up to inherited clumsiness, but he legitimately asked his coach how much longer was left in the fourth quarter and when the coach said, "fifteen minutes Sol," my son said, "SERIOUSLY?"

I can never, ever remember being winded or miserable to the point of petitioning my coach about limiting the quarter time in soccer, even as a really young kid. I was more concerned about doing well so my dad would shut up on the sidelines.

They just don't make kids like they used to. *fist shake*
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2017, 05:57:34 PM »
I'm easily the least fit I've ever been. Building a respectable beer belly. Spring is here though so maybe I'll shed some fat while hiking and stop munching so much.

Hauwke

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
Well thats what she kept calling it at least, she had a hysterectomy. It could be that she got confused about it and called it the wrong thing because I never actually googled what it was.

boog

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2017, 09:36:24 AM »
Yeah, that's probably fibroids. Fibromyalgia is an all-over pain, the cause is only hypothesized, and it's basically overactive nerves making you hurt. I get 'flares' where it gets worse around my lady cycle, though. It's ridiculous.

Not to worry. I'm gonna have endometriosis here before I'm 35, which is ... only 6 years ... away almost ... oh fuck...

Um. So, if I want any more kids, I'm gonna have to have them within the next few, because I'll probably have to have a full hysterectomy like 100% of the women on my mom's side of the family.

It's strange what hereditary bullshit you end up inheriting.

That being said -- I actually feel pretty good after running last night with the booba. He cried because I whooped his ass on a few laps and he said I was, "too fast," but we basically did interval training because I'd make him do sprints and then we'd walk a lap. He lasted surprisingly longer than I thought he would.

We're going again tonight, then I'm gonna do some weight lifting. I've been doing this routine: https://www.kagedmuscle.com/blogs/8-week-hardcore-trainer/overview-program
for a week now, and I like it. I have to improvise some stuff, but other than that, I've enjoyed the new exercises I've incorporated into my routine.

I really do need to do some more deadlifts and Olympic stuff like Yam told me to. I just hate how much of a brofest it is in the gym and how I'm always leered at because I'm one of the very few girls who dares go into the weight room who isn't, um, well, already with another girl, heh. (No one bothers this lesbian couple. I find myself in awe of their strength. They both do Crossfit stuff and make me look like a weakling.)
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2017, 06:57:08 PM »
I feel betrayed.

All of my life, fitness experts, people I've looked up to, have said not to bend your knees over your toes while squatting.

I've now learned this is false.

My whole life has been a lie.
There is only one boog.

Is Friday

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2017, 06:59:47 PM »
I feel betrayed.

All of my life, fitness experts, people I've looked up to, have said not to bend your knees over your toes while squatting.

I've now learned this is false.

My whole life has been a lie.
Depends on body type.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

boog

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
Does it?

I feel like when I'm doing squats and I'm trying not to extend past my toes so I can get a full range of motion that just that -- my range of motion -- is severely limited.

I have a fucked up pelvic tilt, though, and I'm always trying to make sure my form's right. I just always feel hampered when I'm trying to make sure my toes are not obscured by my knees.
There is only one boog.

Synthesis

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
I've never heard that.

I can't even imagine how it's possible, unless you're "squatting" on a Smith machine or you have absurdly long feet.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

boog

« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »
I think it's because they'd rather you sit back more. That's always put me wildly off balance, though, so I thought I was just a mutant or had poor range of motion despite being really flexible for a cushiony built midget.
There is only one boog.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2017, 01:48:03 PM »
Low carb diet.  Medieval combat workout.  Getting so stronk.

boog

« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
Wahhh. I'm plateauing. I was doing IIFYM and nothing weight wise is coming off. I don't wanna be this weight no matter what those dinks say about not paying attention the the scale.
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
As far as general fitness goes, I see a trend in the thread of "This is how I look, so I will do -this- to fix it" rather than keeping a lifestyle which is conducive to health and fitness, which is the most effective way to maintain health and ideal body-type. Consistency. Lifestyle. Not spurts of activity and diet.

Moe carbs are delicious, and perfectly healthy so long as you burn them.

Staves? Bokkens? S+S?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2017, 02:26:53 PM »
Carbs are delicious and indeed not inherently unhealthy.  However, I like this low-carb (ketogenic) diet because it gets my body accustomed to burning fat for energy instead of carbs/sugar.  Then when I'm running a calorie deficit, instead of my body complaining about low sugar reserves it looks around and sees "Hey, there's fuel everywhere in here!" and I don't experience much discomfort of hunger.  Been at it since November and people are starting to notice.

Sword and shield for now.  Full-speed, unscripted, rattan fighting with around 60 lbs of armor on me.  It's pretty high-intensity.  Full-body effort for 5-10 minutes of sparring, then like half an hour break to catch breath, vent heat, and re-hydrate.  I try to go at least 3 rounds on the field at practice in addition to a slow lesson or two in technique, though lately pain in my arm has held me back.  Also strength training and pell work at home, though not as regularly as I know I should be.  I should also probably be suiting up and then walking laps in the field behind my house to build up endurance and heat tolerance for if I want to fight in a war.

Melkor

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »
Carbs are delicious and indeed not inherently unhealthy.  However, I like this low-carb (ketogenic) diet because it gets my body accustomed to burning fat for energy instead of carbs/sugar.  Then when I'm running a calorie deficit, instead of my body complaining about low sugar reserves it looks around and sees "Hey, there's fuel everywhere in here!" and I don't experience much discomfort of hunger.  Been at it since November and people are starting to notice.

Sword and shield for now.  Full-speed, unscripted, rattan fighting with around 60 lbs of armor on me.  It's pretty high-intensity.  Full-body effort for 5-10 minutes of sparring, then like half an hour break to catch breath, vent heat, and re-hydrate.  I try to go at least 3 rounds on the field at practice in addition to a slow lesson or two in technique, though lately pain in my arm has held me back.  Also strength training and pell work at home, though not as regularly as I know I should be.  I should also probably be suiting up and then walking laps in the field behind my house to build up endurance and heat tolerance for if I want to fight in a war.

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with keto diets. On a work-day, I will have burned through my ~1lb of white rice and whatever accouterments by 10:30am, when I can feel my temperature shoot up almost instantly, and the need to down 3 or 4 bottles of water as my body starts feeding off of fat-stores.  The sugar I consume in my coffees is enough to keep my brain fueled with glucose, so no blood-sugar deficit headaches. I have always had a high-cal diet. in HS i did some intermittent fasting to cut after a year of bulking; I ate every other day, and dropped from 191 to 169 in one month, with all of my lifts holding firm.

I like it, man. If you are adequately armored, I would suggest ditching the rattan and using a 1-2 inch dowel.
I used to train with my brothers, then my room-mate. Now, it's just my girl and myself in our home, and I dont really do the 'friend' thing for anything other than resources and services (not for social interaction). I need someone to fight these days.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:17 PM »
Rattan is required by the society for safety reasons.  (Rattan can never "break" and create sharp edges, it just separates into fibers.)

My weapon is already heavier than most.  It's a double-edged sword (hah!) in that the weight is conditioning my arm pretty quickly and it scares people when they feel it on their shield, but I'm probably not developing technique as fast because opponents yield to poor blows just due to the mass of it.

Melkor

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
Not the SCA, right? I fought a few times in SCA meets and they use thick dowels. My only issue with them is their limits on weapon-weights.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2017, 03:43:09 PM »
It is SCA.  Maybe there are kingdoms that loosen the weapon rules, but I'm pretty sure society standard requires rattan or some specific form of plastic I can't remember.  Also, if you shave rattan fully it kinda looks like any other wooden dowel.  Anyway, my sword is like 3.25 lbs, and I think the 1-handed limit is 5 lbs.  I couldn't imagine fighting with a 5 lb weapon unless it was only like 2' long, heh.

Melkor

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2017, 03:50:43 PM »
Yeah. Our 1 handed sword limit was 5lbs as well. It was a 1.25 or 1.5 inch dowel IIRC with an aluminum basket-hilt to protect the hand.

I wanted more weight to really bat people around; with weight limits, it really negates any strength advantage a person has.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2017, 04:05:37 PM »
Hehe.  Well given that there aren't weight classes, maybe that's a good thing.  Smaller fighters are already at a significant disadvantage even with the rules.

Besides, that range is about what real swords weighed.  Even the biggest Scottish claymores were like under 6 lbs.

I would like to get into two-handed sword fighting, though, where you can really leverage some serious force in your strikes.  I had a HEMA fighter show me a bunch of greatsword moves and techniques, some SCA-legal, some not, and it was a lot of fun.  Sadly it requires full coverage gauntlets, which are expensive.

Melkor

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2017, 04:17:09 PM »
...Yeah, because size shouldn't be an advantage in a fight xD.
We should put weights on fast fighters, too. :P

My brothers and I broke a few knuckles and one thumb using bokkens every day. Gauntlets are a good idea lmfao.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
Well, it's not a fight, it's a sport.

Melkor

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
Ball-sports have no weight classes. Kendo has no weight-classes. There are a lot of open-weight MMA tournaments. All sports. Weight/strength/size IS and should be an advantage.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2017, 05:16:17 PM »
Ball sports usually have separate men's and women's leagues, which is effectively a weight class.  IIRC, most Kendo competitions are judged, and thus the power behind a blow is less of a factor, if at all.

Anyway, SCA rules are designed entirely for safety, not for leveling the playing field for strength/size.  The fact that they do somewhat even things as a side effect, though, I think is a good thing.  It means more people, more women, for me to spar with and be challenged by.