Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 4763 times)

Lizzie

Re: Fitness
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 09:59:25 PM »
6 months away from the gym and a summer that was WAY too humid for regular bike-riding or walking outdoors, combined with the exit from menopause into post-menopause a year ago, caused me to lose muscle mass and gain a little weight. Total gain is 6 pounds in the past 18 months.  The doctor says that's actually pretty good, since it's common for women to gain between 10-20 pounds in their first post-menopausal year. I'm low in vitamin D - also common for winter months in New England, and my cholesterol is just slightly north of the acceptable range, for the first time ever in my life (it's always been well within a normal acceptable range). Glucose is spot on and so is my TSH and free T-this that and the other thing and everything else your blood can possibly tell a lab.

SO...

I have to eat fewer carbs, and exercise more again. I can do that, my co-worker (who is like an adopted daughter) and I have been doing a mini workout each morning that we open the store together. Ten minutes HIIT, including squats, jump-squats, walking lunges, jogging in place, and pseudo-push-ups (tilted up by turning a hand-held shopping basket upside down on the floor and holding our hands on the edges of our basket).

And then we spend the next 2 hours climbing up and down ladders to stock the shelves before the store opens.

The carb thing's going to be difficult. I work in a store that sells candy by the piece, and those Wurther's Originals are just THERE - calling my name. I also love bread, and pasta. Thankfully I only have to cut down, not eliminate. But it'll still be difficult.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Riev

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
The carbs are the worst for me, though I certainly have an addiction to sugar.

I actually take 10,000 IU of Vitamin D (like my body can even absorb it) because of aforementioned New England Winters. With triglycerides off the charts from all the fat and carbs, and a 'normal' blood sugar level that's more where I'd like my WEIGHT to be, I have to make changes.

However, at the same time, I can't afford all my bills unless I continue with grad school just so that the student loans go away for a while.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Hauwke

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
Hey MeTekillot, if you want huge forearms, start lifting in front of you. Like work lifting rather than Gym lifting, it might help with the goal you have.

MeTekillot

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:55 AM »
I jerk off a lot, does that help?
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

Hauwke

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 01:49:02 AM »
I suppose it depends on the weight range you have dude

Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2017, 01:57:19 AM »
Hey MeTekillot, if you want huge forearms, start lifting in front of you. Like work lifting rather than Gym lifting, it might help with the goal you have.

How, exactly, is that going to cause forearm muscular hypertrophy?

Generally speaking, the farther you lift something away from your anterior-posterior center of gravity, the only additional musculature you'll be engaging is your posterior chain (especially your back), and the resulting mechanical disadvantage will mean you can't lift as much weight, which would tend to reduce the hypertrophic response relative to a regular lift.

The muscles of your forearm follow the same rules for hypertrophy as any other muscle group.  If you want to specifically train them, do a full range of motion in flexion, extension, adduction, and abduction...and pronation/supination, if you've got gym equipment that can do it.  Do 5x5 or 8-6-4-6-8 or whatever set/rep combo works for you, and do it to failure.  That's...pretty much it.  It's not rocket science.

(I do 5x5 if I have a spotter or I'm on a machine where dropping the weight doesn't matter, and 8-6-4-6-8, sometimes 8-6-4-4-?-? otherwise, because I feel like I'm much less likely to have sudden "oh shit, having a bad day" moments with the higher-rep pyramid.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:01:03 AM by Synthesis »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Hauwke

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2017, 04:51:28 AM »
Dude all I know is that my forearms are fucking ripped from working in a furniture store lifting all the things in front of me.

MeTekillot

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 08:45:28 PM »
Weight gains are more consistent if I work out then rest the entire next day and night while maintaining high caloric intake instead of exercising every day with the caloric intake.

I'm almost to average intermediate weight lifter levels on my bench press, which is where I'm really the weakest. My chest is weak compared to the average, but my arms, back, core, and legs are stronger than average.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:50:29 PM by MeTekillot »

boog

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 12:52:28 AM »
I've lost 10 pounds. My arms are sleek. Honestly, my core is my weakest part. Let's trade, met.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2017, 10:42:12 AM »
Consistency is key when trying to change your body. You look like what you do. Unfortunately, if you have a desk-job, you will look like you have a desk-job; that is, unless you spend a good portion of your free-time doing other things.

For instance, I spend all of my free-time eating around 4k-5k calories worth of food per day, gardening, hunting, arming, and reading... That being said, I've worked in construction and manual labor my whole life, so I am a lean 200lbs at 6'2" height.

My brother is similarly built, though he has an administrative job... He also goes to the gym for 3 hours 6 days per week.

You look like what you do.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

boog

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »
Hahahahaha.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Melkor

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 11:37:51 AM »
What.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Is Friday

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
Since my chiropractor visit I've been steadily getting back into shape. The desk job is killing me, though. It's annoying to go from a job where working out 3 hours a day was the norm to having to struggle to find motivation and time in a 70 hour work week. Most of the time even when I do feel motivated to do it, it's late at night.

I'm probably going to have to go on a 1 week a month drinking plan or something.

I'm back to averaging 200-400 pullups a week at least. I'm hoping to get my max set back to 20 by May and 23+ by later this year. Max score in our fitness test for deadhang pullups increased to 23 from 20. Ugh.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2017, 01:55:24 PM »
Cutting out alcohol and waaaayyyyyy back on simple carbs/sugars led to an over 30lb drop of weight in 3.5 months.

Basically I went back to my normal weight from having gained almost 40 pounds in the last year and change.

Diet works. Working out is good too, but you really are what you eat.
do you remember
when you were young and you wanted to set the world on fire?

Hot_Dancer

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »
Ooo a fitness thread. I fell off kinda hard but have been making some recent progress getting back into the gym.

Main change has been pretty much waking up at 6am instead of 9ish-whenthefuckever-am. Kind of sets the mood of the day for me... Granted, over-sleeping is a known depression signal.

Oh - forearm tip. Forearms are among your most durable muscles. You can (and should) work them nearly every day if you want growth. They require very little rest.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:34:42 PM by Hot_Dancer »
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

boog

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »
I laugh because I work out probably more than most of you and it doesn't seem to do much for me.

Though, um, my butt got a little bigger. And my arms are kinda defined. But...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 05:33:10 PM by boog »
There is only one boog.

MeTekillot

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2017, 10:14:50 PM »
What does your regimen look like?

boog

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2017, 10:22:07 PM »
HITT 2-3x week for ~45 minutes.
Weight lifting every other day, usually in burn out clusters of chest/tricep, back/bicep, legs, for 35-40 minutes.

Walking or extra cardio for at LEAST 30 minutes every day (usually about an hour!), compounded on top of the other stuff I do, like, uh, chasing kids so they don't get mowed down in parking lots.

I'm waiting for Yam to come in and chide meeeee.

I work out too much. But the fact of the matter is is that if I don't, I won't and it'll become a bad habit. With the fibro, I have to keep moving. It's basically the only way to keep myself distracted from the worst of the pain.
There is only one boog.

MeTekillot

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »
Don't you know brah? Cardio kills gains

boog

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2017, 10:41:40 PM »
I'm trying to lose weight. :x
There is only one boog.

MeTekillot

« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2017, 12:28:05 AM »
Diet is important but you prolly know that. I count calories to make sure I'm eating enough, I budget around getting the max amount of calories for dollar spent even if it's not the HEALTHIEST thing.

solera

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2017, 04:11:40 AM »
Apart from not buying biscuits on my weekly/ fortnightly visit to the supermarket, I find it impossible to diet. I have to rely on working hard, though I know I should be doing a bit of running too. And stretching. My aerobics are so so, and my agility is V poor. I need to lose 10 kg. I will lose 5 next month.

boog

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2017, 08:52:34 AM »
Diet is important but you prolly know that. I count calories to make sure I'm eating enough, I budget around getting the max amount of calories for dollar spent even if it's not the HEALTHIEST thing.

Yeah. I was basically starving myself because I was getting maybe ~800 kcals per day. I'm feeling a little bit better at 1500, since I burn 2000 (usually more like 2300) per day.

It's just hard to force myself to eat that much. :/
There is only one boog.

MeTekillot

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »
Dieting is easy in itself, but buying healthy food and cooking it every night/spending $8 on a salad at McFatties is what's hard. Cooking every night can be a pain in the ass, especially if you work, especially especially if you work AND school.

Fathi

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2017, 08:24:10 PM »
I've found the easiest way to ensure I eat healthy-ish is to just straight up not give myself any other option and find healthy stuff that caters to my laziness. If all I have in the house is salad-making stuff and lean meat and oatmeal and eggs, then when I get hungry, by god, I'll have to eat that stuff. I am a very lazy person even when my arthritis isn't flaring up, so making myself food at home is usually a game of "food of least resistance." So I just make sure that food of least resistance is veggies.

Stuff I do to make sure I don't feel like garbage:

1. Always have some stupid easy stovetop/microwave fallback options for days you just can't bring yourself to give a fuck about cooking. People who plan their lives like those days won't happen are LIARS. This stuff doesn't have to be nutritionally perfect wonderfoods that satisfy your macronutrient split. Just make it Not Garbage.

2. Don't stress if you eat stuff that's bad. Just make up for it by eating better the next day.

3. Drink less booze, if you're working on weight loss.

4. Peanut butter is your friend, if you're working on weight gain.

At the moment my dietary goals are health/illness related rather than weight loss/gain related, but I honestly think that the best thing any person can do when trying to stick to any diet is to make sure all the lazy "can't be bothered to cook" foods in the house are decent food rather than processed crap.

My lazy can't-be-fucked meals these days are greek salads, packet curry with frozen veggies, and oatmeal. None of those meals takes more than 10 minutes to make and has more than 4 ingredients.

As a person who's struggling to adjust to life with a chronic illness, I have a lot of mealtimes where I just don't have the energy to cook myself something healthy and good. I cannot overstate how AMAZING I feel now that my shitty low energy snack foods are veggies and proteins rather than french fries and frozen burritos and takeout. It's honestly made just as much of a difference to my health as my actual meds.

And all it really took was admitting to myself "some days you're not gonna have it in you to cook good stuff, so just make sure your lazy foods are less shit for you."

Idk Metek, maybe that helps. I definitely empathise with how tough it can be to cook good stuff for yourself when you're at 0 energy.
Out of all those kinds of people, you got a face with a view
I'm just an animal looking for a home
Share the same space for a minute or two

Quote from: BadSkeelz
My preferred form of birth control is still rough circle.