Author Topic: Fitness  (Read 9958 times)

Sephiroto

Re: Fitness
« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »
I have stuck with the rock climbing since September and have increased from 1 day a week to 3 days a week for about 2-2.5 hours each session.  I've been more focused on improving my technique more so than building my body, so I'm not growing much muscle, though my wife did notice a difference early on.  She said I was starting to look like an anime character, whatever that means.  My core is definitely much stronger and my back pains have almost completely disappeared.  Snow shoveling this winter was a breeze where the year prior I'd be sore and winded while shoveling at half the speed.

650Booger

« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2018, 02:33:39 PM »
Brazilian jiu-jitsu addict here
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Cind

« Reply #177 on: June 18, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »
I always forget to do some yoga, even though I only really know that one cat pose.

I usually like to take the dog for an off-leash walk but its been so darn hot lately.

I have a book on tai chi--- the poses you see Asian people doing together in the park in asia, or elderly persons doing together in American parks. Its supposed to be real good for you, although yoga is more of an immediate gratification in my opinion.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

MeTekillot

« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2018, 08:09:43 PM »

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »
The S.O. and I have been hitting the gym for a minimum of an hour of cardio every day (usually more, and we mix in weight training).

It gets so much easier to keep going once you start. At some point you just don't want to break your streak.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2018, 02:47:09 PM »
I've done the streak method for motivation.  It's great when you get on streak, but too easy to just collapse the habit when you break it.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #181 on: August 08, 2018, 03:45:08 PM »
The plan is to do this for a month as a personal challenge, then to return to 5 days a week.

If we want to keep going, great. But if we dial back to 5 days, that's okay too.

It's unrealistic to keep a streak going forever, so trying to do that would be setting ourselves up for disappointment.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

MeTekillot

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2018, 12:57:51 PM »
Trying to manage 5 sets of 3 plyometric exercises at least twice a week. Noticing very subtle results on week 2, but nothing anyone would note in a progress pic.

MeTekillot

« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2018, 01:34:57 AM »
Ate immediately before exercise, only got through 2 of my 3 planned sets due to nausea, but the key is to view it as a partial success rather than a failure.

Bebop

« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2018, 01:58:09 AM »
I am heading back to my gym days soon.  After many years doing cardio to varying levels of success this time my focus will primarily be on weight training with a little bit of cardio mixed in.  I'll be curious to see how it goes.  My co-worker is a Vikings cheerleader and swears by weight training.

MeTekillot

« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2018, 05:31:07 AM »
There's unique satisfaction in being able to move with ease things you had to struggle with.

Harmless

« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
I have a collagen disorder and most weight/strength training wreaks havoc on my joints, inclusing running which I basically dont do

I have since switched to yoga, and just stuff like leg lifts, squats, stairs, mild weights and after keeping it up for a while now I weigh a teeny bit less and have much less joint pain. Holding a bridge or yoga pose for a long time gets my heart rate up and doesnt involve repetitive joint stress which I can't handle.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

boog

« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
I get to go back to the gym soon. Yay. 6 days and counting before my little shitters go back to school and our routine resumes.

And also, I hate working out in the summer time. I should probably get over that.

I'm curious to see if supplementing with more electrolytes will help my fatigue when it comes to not being able to lift or run as much while on keto.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Strongheart

« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
Running isn't even that good for you, so honestly other forms of aerobic exercise are so much better. Hiking and swimming, as examples. Glad yoga is working out for you!
Greater love hath no one than this, that one lay down their life for their friends.

650Booger

« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2018, 05:14:02 PM »
I train jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week.  once you've had people try to strangle you hundreds of times, other problems seem to diminish in significance.  just got my blue belt last month, w00t!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Krath

« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2018, 06:33:33 PM »
I'm a big dumb powerlifter, but I love it.
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

MeTekillot

« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »

MeTekillot

« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2018, 07:22:30 PM »
Standing in a walk in freezer whilst sore from a workout feels amazing.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #193 on: August 28, 2018, 10:31:23 AM »
Anyone have experience with shoulder injuries?  I busted mine in a shield wall charge.

For a few days I couldn't put any load on that arm.  Two and a half weeks later I seem to have full range of motion unencumbered, but certain motions (elbow above the shoulder and across the chest) with a load or while on my side cause pain.  Also I get pain if I roll over on that shoulder in my sleep.

Dr. Google says that's almost certainly a rotator cuff injury.  However there's no clear guidance on whether it's a strain (which can heal) or a tear (which needs surgery), other than if it's not better in a month.

Anything I can take or do to help speed up the healing?  Ibuprofin is suggested but I know you're not supposed to take that too often.

boog

« Reply #194 on: August 28, 2018, 11:33:03 AM »
I have a fucked up rotator cuff, though the way I sustained the injury was not as glamorous as yours.

I would google, "rotator cuff stretches", or similar queries to try to help restore mobility... and get to a doctor. It's a really common injury, but man, it can fuck you all kinds of up.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Hauwke

« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
My partner needs to get fit because her spine is crooked and her weight is making it worse. Going to be doing excersizes at home on a regular basis, already been doing it for a few days now.

Yay for me I guess, I have a reason to stop being a lazy slob.

roughneck

« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2018, 06:46:26 AM »
I train jiu jitsu 3-4 times a week.  once you've had people try to strangle you hundreds of times, other problems seem to diminish in significance.  just got my blue belt last month, w00t!

Congratulations! That's a great moment.

I've yet to find a more fun or effective way to stay in shape. The only downside of it long-term is you're almost guaranteed to pick up a joint injury now and then, but it's worth it. Great communities of people, also.

MeTekillot

« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »
Planks are slowly carving my core into granite. Slower going on upper body strength but I'll do home workouts for another month or two before I get a gym membership for weight training. I think I'll also start BJJ (and perhaps Muay Thai) classes soon.

MeTekillot

« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »
I've increased my plank holding time to about 1:30 and I'm planning to have it peak at around 2:00 and not really try any further from there, to preserve my back. 15-30 push-ups a set (depending on how much my progress plateaus) is about where I'm planning to renew a gym membership. I'm currently at 10-12, 8 for the last two sets which I do close-grip. 150 squats, no weights or anything, currently. I have a dumbbell I'm doing curls with. Just need to get regular enough that I can do what I need to do in less than an hour and a half, my rest breaks are too long right now, I think. Though they consist of me pacing and dancing around the house to my workout music to keep myself focused.

Hauwke

« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2018, 07:52:21 PM »
Been sticking to a schedule of fairly simple excersizes, squats one day, pushups the next, situps after that and stretches every other day. All of this to make my partner feel better about the fact she has to do them on the order of her physio therapist to help with her legs, which are affected by her condition. That being all said and done, I am actually enjoying doing the excersize, not a huge fan of the soreness in my legs after dozens of squats, but the loss of 2kg is an unexpected, but very welcome surprise.

I suspect I will put it back on fairly soon if I keep up with the excersizes however, but at the very least it probably wont be purely fat.