forage stone for not quarried

Started by nauta, January 31, 2017, 10:53:52 AM

So, quarries are cool, but (a) they stick around and are visible from a distance and (b) in small save rooms they actually will fill up the room (I think).

Sometimes you just want to get little stones.

So the proposal:

forage stone for not quarried - would dig for anything but the item in question (quarried in this case).

You could perhaps use this in other contexts too (forage wood for not twigs).

An alternative:

bury quarried - removes the quarried object.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Please yes! I always feel weird when I've dug into the wall of a cave and found 10+ deposits, and now the cave is full and I can't even drop stuff.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Would it be considered an exploit for a Rukkian to go in to a camp, do some emotes and spam-forage a bunch of quarries in to existence to troll the inhabitants?

I didn't know quarries added to room weight. This seems like a good idea to address that, along with the general awkwardness of not always wanting a quarry.

Quick solution is to just give quarries 0 weight and make sure they're no_take.

I like the premise (of anything that allows you to refine what you're seeing while foraging). I'd like to suggest that maybe 'except quarried' or '-quarried' (where that could be made really any 1 thing of type foraged in the room, like, say, sandstone, or crystal or shard) would be more intuitive as syntax for it than 'forage for not this'.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: bardlyone on January 31, 2017, 02:15:17 PM
I like the premise (of anything that allows you to refine what you're seeing while foraging). I'd like to suggest that maybe 'except quarried' or '-quarried' (where that could be made really any 1 thing of type foraged in the room, like, say, sandstone, or crystal or shard) would be more intuitive as syntax for it than 'forage for not this'.

It already sort of works like that.

"forage rock for gem" will discard anything you find that isn't a gem, which means no quarries (as far as I've seen so far).

The only issues with that are some gems don't have the keyword gem so you won't find them. There's also some other cool and valuable things you won't find if you limit your search. With keywords being inconsistent it's not worth it to me to use the specific when I forage.

And I LOVE foraging. It's like Armageddon's minigame.

Quote from: Miradus on January 31, 2017, 04:47:21 PM

"forage rock for gem" will discard anything you find that isn't a gem, which means no quarries (as far as I've seen so far).

The only issues with that are some gems don't have the keyword gem so you won't find them. There's also some other cool and valuable things you won't find if you limit your search. With keywords being inconsistent it's not worth it to me to use the specific when I forage.

That's only useful to greb specific things, or specific types of things. Example:
forage rock for chunky
forage rock for hand
forage rock for piece
forage rock for small

With each thing, you will NOT get anything other than something with that specific word in the sdesc or keyword list. So if you want to find any gemstone OR any jasper OR any sandstone OR any obsidian, but you simply do not want anything quarried, you're out of luck. You have to pick which ONE you want, and the code will either give it to you or give you nothing.

What nauta is looking for, is an exclusion option. I agree 100% - I'd love to have an exclusion option for ALL foraging lists. That way you can...
forage rock -jasper.-sandstone.-basalt
forage food -tuber
forage artifacts -shard
forage wood -kindling.-pech
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Miradus on January 31, 2017, 04:47:21 PM

Basically Lizzie gets what I mean. I play way too many grebbers because I feel the same way about loving to forage. I like what we have now, but I'm talking about adding an option for the polar opposite of that. So you can forage for any stone EXCEPT the one type, instead of foraging for ONLY the one type.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Certainly, I think it would potentially clean up the piles of unwanted, unloved pet rocks you see lying around at times.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quarries are not visible from other rooms and do not take up room weight. I made sure of that about a month ago due to the exact issue in the OP.

That's so awesome!  Sorry for the noise.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Akariel on January 31, 2017, 08:00:28 PM
Quarries are not visible from other rooms and do not take up room weight. I made sure of that about a month ago due to the exact issue in the OP.
I recall being able to see quarries from other rooms.....

About a month + ago.
Thanks for the fix!

I remembered that too and when that was posted I was in a room with some so I checked. Couldn't see them from one room away. Stealth fix? :)

Now maybe we can get a stealth fix in on these stupid oxen. They must all have asthma or something.

I would still like to target non hand/head/blockies . The quarries become embarrassingly many, that's without attempting to spam.