The Magick Of Healing

Started by Shoka Windrunner, January 27, 2017, 01:26:27 PM

No.

It's magic. If you want to play out un-intended consequences of being magicked on, no one is stopping you. Hell, most of us are probably inviting you (or should be). But what this game doesn't need is poop echos.

Also, if you pick this one thing to try and apply psuedo-science to, where's the cut off?

Should there be an echo for when that loaf of bread turns back into sand in your stomach?
Should you get hypothermia every time your body produces a giant fireball?
Should your skin crack, chafe, and fall off every time you stoneskin?
Should your particles reorganize in the wrong order giving you an arm head after you're done being invisible?
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on February 01, 2017, 04:04:56 PM
No.

It's magic. If you want to play out un-intended consequences of being magicked on, no one is stopping you. Hell, most of us are probably inviting you (or should be). But what this game doesn't need is poop echos.

Also, if you pick this one thing to try and apply psuedo-science to, where's the cut off?

Should there be an echo for when that loaf of bread turns back into sand in your stomach?
Should you get hypothermia every time your body produces a giant fireball?
Should your skin crack, chafe, and fall off every time you stoneskin?
Should your particles reorganize in the wrong order giving you an arm head after you're done being invisible?

I'll answer all of those questions.

Bread - How about an echo of a really loud stomach growl to the room and one to you saying your guts feel like they are full of rocks?

Fireball - Well I already suggested that it not affect the gicker.  That way it seems intentional to those receiving the casting.  But does this really need something worse then being set on fire?  If so, also have it give you sunstroke or something, though this one isn't necessary I don't think.  After all, warriors don't get obsidian shards stuck in the hands when they chip pieces off their sword while hitting that scrab do they?  So, if you are addressing my main idea, let's keep to that.  If you have a new one I'm all ears.

Stoneskin - For the caster?  Naw.  For the other guy?  A couple echoes, maybe open skin locations have a 'dry cracked skin' on them for people to see.  Maybe lotion becomes a thing people actually buy and have to use.   A cream or ointment if you would rather.  Yeah, that sounds great.  Yet another reason to not mess with magickers unless you have to. 

Invisible - Hmm.  Maybe something saying you look a little pale on your mdesc after you are vis for a time.  Sounds fine to me.  Another coded reason why you wouldn't want to get gicked unless it was REALLY important to you, or you are one of those people who might be ordered to be gicked. 

Detection Spell on the eyes.  Occasional hemotes firing off of how watery your eyes are.  Echoes going to you as well.

Everyone doesn't seem to like bodily functions, though there is at least one clan who has a latrine that is always being cleaned up, but I digress.  Water from a gick, maybe you appear to be sweating steam?  You don't get codedly dehydrated or hotter, just visible echoes to everyone and yourself.

Fine healing doesn't make you poop.  It seems everyone is so wrapped up in the fact that they can't possibly RP that it's disturbing and not funny if someone were to poop themselves after being healed.  Fine.  Instead it leaves blue weird tattoos on your body temporarily?  Would that be better then?  (I still hold that losing complete control of your bodily functions is scary.  Try it sometime, you'll probably agree)

Oh you want to levitate or fly?  Okay.  Maybe your movement speed or code doesn't change but now that you are done riding the wind every echo for you entering or leaving a room shows you weaving and stumbling about.  Not drunk code, not falling in the street, just echoes showing you have trouble walking now, getting your 'non-floaty land legs' back.

What's that, your poisoned?  Need it cured?  Why...why are you sweating blood?

There is a thousand ways this could be coded.  And it would put coded issues into the game to actually make it a plausible I don't know, maybe I'll die, or damn I regret doing this, or did you see Amos?  He's sweating blood, can't walk straight and won't stop crying after that Templar made him get gicked up and go in that cave.

Funny now?  Humorous ribbing?  Yes, you can still make it funny.  No problem.  Anything can be made into a joke.  Ask your neighborhood goofy half-giant (I know, not all hg's are goofy, some are, you probably know or have known one) and you'll probably get a laugh. 

Out of all the gicking that gets done in game, on other people so they can have the benefits, is there actually any RP of how terrible or scary it is actually played out.  A lot less than most of you would admit.  And a lot less than maybe there should be.  Make it scary.

It's scary.  Make it scary.

It's supposed to be scary.  But it isn't yet.  Not if you want to shrug it off and just get your gameplay on.  It's easily ignored. 

All suggestions I have, including the poop one, are temporary or immediate one and done ideas, nothing permanent.  Except the emotional scars and distrust (which should be there as that is in the helpfiles as well) of others for you after you get gicked.  You would have an actual reason to be worried Amos was going to kill you or something, because he got gicked and you saw what happened.  It's harder when nothing bad happens. 

I chose healing because it actually says you feel all warm and happy inside when it happens.  Which is easy to just go, "Hey, that ain't so bad, give me more of that."

Maybe it should be "so bad"?
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

"It's scary, make it scary"

Just because the idiot commoners in the game fear magic doesn't mean it has to actually give you herpies because rumors say it does.

"Maybe it should be "so bad"?"
Why?
Because people hate it lore wise-icly?

Making magic have adverse side effects for no reason goes opposed to what D&D did, what Dark Sun did (Defiling excluded), and if we pull shit from those sources theres no reason to make it all different and shit filled (literally) just for a difference.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 01, 2017, 05:09:18 PM
"It's scary, make it scary"

Just because the idiot commoners in the game fear magic doesn't mean it has to actually give you herpies because rumors say it does.

"Maybe it should be "so bad"?"
Why?
Because people hate it lore wise-icly?

Making magic have adverse side effects for no reason goes opposed to what D&D did, what Dark Sun did (Defiling excluded), and if we pull shit from those sources theres no reason to make it all different and shit filled (literally) just for a difference.

Forgotten Realms, magic isn't scary.  It's normal.  It's basically low technology world with the tech replaced with magic.  However...Wild Magic?  The Time of Troubles?  Spellplague?  Second Sundering? Karsus's Folly?  All epic world affecting disasters caused by/or because of magic.

Dragonlance, magic is somewhat scary and it can have side effects, ask Raistlin.  Ask Fizban when he poofed into feathers.  (yes I know Fizban is a god, drop it)  Didn't Flint get stuck as the king of the gully dwarves after having a special axe or something? (I remember he was king but don't remember how that all happened)  Didn't Goldmoon immolate herself with the staff using magick?  That was priestly magic also.  The Cataclysm caused by the wrath of the gods dropping a fiery mountain upon the world killing thousands, taking all of their clerics away removing healing magic from the world which in return resulted in the deaths of how many that could have been saved? Dragonlance is almost Dark Sun in reverse where Wizardly magic is kind of cool and priestly magic is the stuff that starts the riots.  See Goldmoon healing someone with the staff and sparking a riot in Solace.

Dark Sun, the books show that all elements have some spells in common.  Such as healing.  Fire elementalists burn your wounds closed.  It's in the books, that one dwarf fella, can't remember his name.  What about Just Plain Pavek and him calling the Druidic Spirit of the city of Tuluk, surrounding it in a wall of protection to keep the Lion King of Tuluk from destroying his own city and instead making him turn around and slaughter the armies that attempted to make the Lion King into the new dragon in the first place?  What about (forgot his name, the slimy guy) who takes the big obsidian ball of power and tries to use psionics through it, making him turn into some mutated creature, causing immense pain?  What about the white tower where if you go anywhere near it and get harmed even a little bit you start to mutate completely?  What about Sorak and how he felt after getting all of his multiple personalities pulled out of him and into the avangion so it could continue growing to challenge the dragon?  And let's not forget the Dragon, marching the wastes, pulling his levy of life to power his own magic?  The whole world is shit because of halfling's messing with life magic?  Defilers keeping the whole world shit because they suck the life out of plants and leave a section of the world devoid of life, for what? Hundreds or years?  (I know you mentioned defilers, but when is the last time you saw ash covering the ground of a room so that all life was dead?  It's been a long while for me)

Greyhawk, I don't know about that much, but it feels a bit like Forgotten Realms just more low tech.  But here is just one example:  Liches: wizards who use magic to become undead beings of extreme power, nearly incapable of being slain whose very touch can drain your life force?

Planescape - hoo boy.  Just having the wrong bracelet on and you walk through a door and you are in the elemental plane of fire.  Let's look at Planescape:Torment.  The Nameless One, unable to die and loses his memory sometimes when he dies and wakes back up?  Morte, the talking skull that was pulled from the wall of talking skulls?  Annah a bloody half-demon?  Fall-from-Grace a Succubus?  IGNUS went around chucking fire and turned his body into a living conduit to the Elemental Plane of Fire leaving him burning, alive, possibly forever?  Vhailor the spirit inhabiting his suit of armor, undead forever as he seeks justice?  (which reminds me of Dark Sun dwarves abandoning their focus and becoming banshees in death)  The Lady Of Pain enigmatic ruler of Sigil, who has outlived and destroyed gods in her existence and metes out punishment, compassionless, with brutal indifference on all who displease her sensibilities?  (Tektolnes anyone?)

I'm trying to say that I don't think your dismissal holds any water.  Also in those worlds, all of them, including Dark Sun, there are literal gods toying with mortals, and helping them also.  That isn't so in Zalanthas.  Dark Sun has the elements, and yes they get involved, but not as much as Just Plain Pavek's druidic spirits, minor gods of individual 'biomes' of the world.  But strong enough to hold off the assault of the (arguably even more powerful than the original) Lion King of Urik in Dragon form? 

There are no spell memorizing, spell book carrying wizards.  There is no choosing a deity to worship to gain their blessing to wield divine power on Zalanthas.  When it comes to magick and curses, there are plenty of curses to be had in other areas of DnD.  It's there, in the novels and/or video games.  Here we don't even follow some of their things because in Dark Sun, elementalists are pretty cool bro.  People like them.  People use them.  People do not shun them.  So there is scary terrible frightening things in all of the DnD worlds.  People there (except Dark Sun and defilers) don't care, cause it makes their lives better, the gods are giving their blessing.  Or the normal person has realized, "What are we going to do about it, duck your head and keep moving kids!"

And finally I even dismissed the shit filled world idea.  Nobody liked it, I adjusted.  Drop it man.  I already did.

TL/DR There is plenty of scary magic stuff in the other worlds.  But Zalanthas ain't them, ain't even Dark Sun.  Don't compare ginka's and kalan's.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Fuk if you took down the shit filled world point down then pretend I didn't say it.

The only reply to that long post I have is that....
Greyhawk indeed is basically just Forgotten realms if I recall correctly.

*Shoka Windrunner wounds you for hideous amounts of damage.

I'll see how the thread goes.

Quote from: Jihelu on February 01, 2017, 09:13:44 PM
Fuk if you took down the shit filled world point down then pretend I didn't say it.

The only reply to that long post I have is that....
Greyhawk indeed is basically just Forgotten realms if I recall correctly.

*Shoka Windrunner wounds you for hideous amounts of damage.

I'll see how the thread goes.

emote looks a bit embarrassed.

Sorry.  Dungeon Master for 22 years here.  I may have gotten carried away.  I didn't take it down.  But I stated above that I other ideas that could be used instead.  Sorry. 

One way to make magic scary is to make all spell components derived from PC/non-animal corpses.
Perhaps, vivaduans prefer hearts, whirans lungs, krathis muscle, rukkians bone.

Maybe for rare parts get a perk - Mon Heal with a Templar's heart would give a permanent HP boost....
Of course, trafficking in body parts would be highly verboten in all civilized areas. Some rinthis would probably trade in such things. Anyone in the wilds caught butchering a sentient would be hunted down.
Animal parts could substitute for lower level spells so you can practice without killing.

Always wanted a nice elf skin hat.  Like I do to raiders in the game Rimworld.

Elves with human leather dusters?

Humans with elf leather boots, I mean they probably make you run faster or something right?   ;)

"Are those kid skin gloves?"

"Your kid? Yes..."
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.