The Magick Of Healing

Started by Shoka Windrunner, January 27, 2017, 01:26:27 PM

January 27, 2017, 01:26:27 PM Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 01:39:27 PM by Shoka Windrunner
Okay.  Now bear with me a second and I'll get to my point.

I couldn't say how many people actually use magick healing to deal with injuries...however...

Now magick healing can be just that...magick.  But what if there was a bit of science in this process.

Now a normal, even minor, injury can take up to two years to be COMPLETELY healed.  That means, the removal of collagen and scar tissue and your body finally goes yep, done with that.  Magick does it in like...let's say one second.  Magickal healing puts all this, 1 second and two years done.  If it's just to like the okay, it's scarred and basically healed, it's like three months of healing done.  This requires a lot of nutrients to do as well.  Your body is getting rid of all the broken and damaged bits and then building new ones.  Real fast in this magick case.  Now where do these broken, damaged and dead cells go? 

Your colon.

Now.  That would mean, you have a big enough wound, your colon is going to go, oh, there is to much here, time to get rid of some of it.  Right now.  A smaller wound, a scratch or graze might just need you to go poo, really badly.  But a big injury?  Or in Arm terms, a lot of hp being healed?  Your pooping yourself.  Curing poison would probably have the same effect.  This would also mean that for the tablets and vials and such that we have that are 'all natural.'  But lets just leave the natural stuff being natural and ignore that stuff.  Of course magickal removal of poison?  Same problem, instant pooping.

So.  Perhaps, if the gain of hp is big enough or the poison severe enough, this could cause a player to foul their britches.  An animal to leave behind a stinky pellet, or what have you.

Why in the Known would you want to have this in game? 

Simply consequence.  Instantly being brought from death's door to basically healthy by magick (which I think is still supposed to be scary and shunned) should have some sort of consequence.  Fouling your britches is a, scientifically, reasonable one.  Maybe put a little more fear in the populace.  I mean, it won't kill you, it'll save your life, but, you will have poopy going down your leg.  And so one of the most advantageous magicks is made somewhat less desirable.  Which, for healing at least, felt missing.  I mean, other than possible RP issues, which may or may not happen because you got your gut fixed by a Vivaduan, there is still a reason to think, well...maybe I don't want that. 

Now I don't expect it to stop someone from being healed to avoid death.  Not at all.  But, the RP?  The possible boon to the tailoring/armorcrafting economy to replace those poop magick fouled pants?  The good times and fun ribbing you can give Sergeant Pooppants?  A Byn suddenly being a literal shit cloak?  C'mon.  It has to count for something.

Or...more boringly.  We can leave it as, "oh, it's magick."

Now I don't mean every single one, but I think most players could RP a bit of oops, gotta poop right now in the case of a small amount of healing.  Not sure why you would ask for it though if it was small.  But a certain percentage.  Maybe...30%...or 40%...instant poop.

Has issues I know.  Lowers the value of those healing services.  But makes magick a little more interesting.  Also, be a bit hungrier and maybe, a little thirstier.   Not to much, we don't want Sarge coming back from death's door and instantly dying of dehydration and starvation.  That would make healing a bit...well.  Useless.

So.  Maybe?

P.S.  I'm glad we have vials that we can pour down the throats of the unconcious.  However I secretly always hoped they would make a bit of code that those tablets could be given rectally.  (I'm already talking about poop, might as well get this all out and done with)  Means you can strip their pants off.  And administer that life saving tablet.  But, someone's gotta do it.  And they should (for RP/fun's sake) get some smelly stuff on their hands/gloves.  This would show you just how much someone REALLY cares about whether you live or die.  Just saying.  And you wouldn't have to worry about them choking.  But...someones gotta go near Sarge's backside.

I'm going to think about how a bit of science could be used with other 'beneficial' spells.  And to keep things from having Vivaduans who always have poopy pants, or pantless ones...maybe, they are special and it doesn't work on them the same way and they don't have this problem.  Which would also work in RP to say, "Yeah, damn Vivs.  They do that pooping thing on purpose.  I'm sure they go downstairs of their temple and just laugh and laugh.  Kanking tregil lovers.  They never have that happen when they do it to themselves.  It's all a big kanking joke to them.  Cruel bastards.  And then they charge for it."

Edit: couple of typos.
Also doctoring is often a bit messy.  Why else do they tell you DON'T YOU EAT A DANG THING OR DRINK ANYTHING BUT WATER 24 HOURS BEFORE SURGERY DANG IT!  Cause you might poop on the table.  Just saying.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner
Now a normal, even minor, injury can take up to two years to be COMPLETELY healed.  That means, the removal of collagen and scar tissue and your body finally goes yep, done with that.  Magick does it in like...let's say one second.  Magickal healing puts all this, 1 second and two years done.  If it's just to like the okay, it's scarred and basically healed, it's like three months of healing done

For the moment I just want to dispute this. Magickal healing CAN be instantaneous and perfect, and certainly appears that way in our HP prompt, but there's nothing that says you have to roleplay it to that effect. I asked Staff about this once when a character of mine was taken from 100+ HP to 8 and then magicked back together. When I asked how much scarring this should incur I was told

That's pretty much up to you. Note that Vivaduan magick is not perfect, and the NPC in particular who healed [you] probably would have left a whole mess of scars on purpose. Because he enjoys that sort of thing.

According to Helpers and Staff, just how "clean" magick healing is can be dependent on the skill of the magicker or even just their individual whim. Ultimately it's in the Healer and patient's OOC hands to decide how "easy" they want it to be.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 27, 2017, 01:41:27 PM
Now a normal, even minor, injury can take up to two years to be COMPLETELY healed.  That means, the removal of collagen and scar tissue and your body finally goes yep, done with that.  Magick does it in like...let's say one second.  Magickal healing puts all this, 1 second and two years done.  If it's just to like the okay, it's scarred and basically healed, it's like three months of healing done

For the moment I just want to dispute this. Magickal healing CAN be instantaneous and perfect, and certainly appears that way in our HP prompt, but there's nothing that says you have to roleplay it to that effect. I asked Staff about this once when a character of mine was taken from 100+ HP to 8 and then magicked back together. When I asked how much scarring this should incur I was told

That's pretty much up to you. Note that Vivaduan magick is not perfect, and the NPC in particular who healed [you] probably would have left a whole mess of scars on purpose. Because he enjoys that sort of thing.

According to Helpers and Staff, just how "clean" magick healing is can be dependent on the skill of the magicker or even just their individual whim. Ultimately it's in the Healer and patient's OOC hands to decide how "easy" they want it to be.

Oh yeah.  Totally.  Doesn't change how much work a bodies got to do to make what happened happened.  Scars, pain whatever.  Have fun with that.  Of course healing naturally with sinew stitches would have the same effect.

But you still need to poop if it happens fast.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

*insert squatty potty meme here*

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 27, 2017, 01:41:27 PM

Actually, I just kind of got what you mean on this.  Let me explain a bit. Apologies.

So...yeah you aren't necessarily healed to having skin as fresh as a new born babe.  That's up to you.  But your body does remove scar tissue during the healing process.  You don't just get scar tissue on your skin when someone pokes a hole in you and you heal.  It's internal too.  But it's useless in there.  So it does get removed.  The combined effect of all the clotting being removed, removal of dead cells, damaged cells, out of place cells, collagen and what scar tissue is replaced internally so that the thing does what it should and not just be a lump of useless scar tissue, is what is removed from the body. 

There is still pain from injuries, even with the best modern medicine, often long after the healing is "done" as far as your body can do or is concerned.  Scar tissue on the outside, for one, isn't that accessible to your blood so it doesn't really get cleaned up nearly as fast.  That's why this burn scar on my hand that I got when I was 6 is still around decades later.  Faint now, but still there.

So I'm not in ANY way, shape or form saying you don't get scarred or have pain afterwards.  Especially if we go with the 3 months thing.  3 months puts you about 80% healed but there is still a lot of work going on.  You shouldn't be very hindered by the injury at that point at all.  But inside, stuff is still happening.  And those surface scars?  Not technically an injury.  That's healed as far as a body is concerned.

So I'm not asking to take ANYTHING away from the RP of being scarred and pained.  Not a bit.

Just saying that, if we put a little science in there...you are going to poop all that clotting, dead cells, damaged cells, out of place cells, collagen and scar tissue that IS removed from your body, especially at that incredible speed that it happens in.  Not to mention what might already be sitting there waiting to go.

So I agree with what you are saying, but it doesn't really change what I'm saying.  If that makes sense?

Or maybe the magic pulls it all out of your body instead.

I mean.. poop humor isn't really my thing, and that's what these scenes would invariably turn into.

It's magic. Stop trying to use science.

Quote from: Miradus on January 27, 2017, 03:42:47 PM

It's magic. Stop trying to use science.

Yeah I likely won't be doing that.  But thanks!  ;D

It's more of the fact that magical isn't inherently scary that is my issue.

Though honestly I like thinking of ways to make the world more interesting and giving it some depth that exists beyond what is already there. While it's been stated by BadSkeelz that the effect is dictated by the caster and their skill.  How would you feel if the next Vivaduan cast there healing and made you poop all over yourself.

Would feel a bit like force emotes. Which is still a no no right? I can't just emote yanking your pack off and demand ooc for you to give it to me. So...really it isn't up to the caster. You get to decide how good of a job the caster did. Which is a force emote in its own way. If there is a coded effect...it becomes the risk you take. And I'd rather have interesting than some people ignoring it or some people going to far the other way.

I honestly don't see the harm in making things interesting. Making an actual reason to make magical your last resort. 

It's supposed to be scary. But only having the fact that you feel all warm and soothed when magical is used is not really that. Oh well.

I'm all for bringing in some realistic responses, but "feeling warm and fuzzy" is exactly what the magick does. How good it is, how the caster attempted to do it, and the target's responses, are all things that tend to be taken care of, in game.

Getting healed magickally is scary, because you don't KNOW how they do it. Does a vivaduan make water out of nowhere? Or do they suck the water out of your closest friend, to fill your skin? Did they heal your wound, or kill a nearby newborn to replace your life with its?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

So let me get this straight ...

You want whenever someone heals us (which is a pretty rare occurrence for me), that we immediately rush over to the nearest bush to roleplay out a bowel movement?

I've played a water mage that has healed before and have always gone with it removing all scars and injuries like it's fucking nothing. Because coolio good magic healing.

If someone wanted to emote that it didn't heal fully, good on them. I'd just go ic "Huh that's weird, oh well I tried".

I'm pretty sure the only time a person has had a scar with my characters healing involved is when they just refused healing, though. The people accepting healing are usually those who don't want to look like scarface

I think the idea of magic healing completely, within a certain time frame and within reason, helps reiterate how magick is extremely powerful and scary. Also it could be used as an argument for water magick being less 'scary' but then you learn more about it and realize it's just as scary and neeto as other magicks.

I think this is a seriously shitty idea.

I also do not like it, and think it would add nothing to the game.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Lol.  Just...Lol.   ;D

Is shitting yourself scary to you? Because it's not to me. It's embarassing. I'm with... everyone else who's said anything thus far. Don't think it's a great idea, not really a fan. And I doubly agree with Delirium on the why.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on January 27, 2017, 04:47:21 PM
Lol.  Just...Lol.   ;D

I really did feel like this was a troll post. Now I get it.

Hrmh. You know, I wish I had known this a few of my characters before. I know too little of biology and such similar things. I was playing a character who was into the whole 'self introspective/mind over matter' healing, ie Bene Gesserit type. I would've incorporated "something" like that there.

Quote from: Miradus on January 27, 2017, 05:27:03 PM
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on January 27, 2017, 04:47:21 PM
Lol.  Just...Lol.   ;D

I really did feel like this was a troll post. Now I get it.

It actually wasn't really a troll post.  So no.  You don't get it.   ;)

You guys just make me laugh.

Bro there are other games where you can explore weird fetishes  8)

Quote from: Erythil on January 30, 2017, 11:24:51 PM
Bro there are other games where you can explore weird fetishes  8)

What science is a weird fetish now?  ;) ;D

Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on January 27, 2017, 01:26:27 PM

Simply consequence.

From the gemmed help file.

Outside of public scrutiny though, some of Allanak's citizens are willing, when times are desperate enough, to seek out the gemmed for their services - real or imagined. Such liaisons, if discovered, are devastating for the transgressor's social standing and likely their health - with the "taint" of magick being thought to stain them and follow them wherever they go.

That is consequences. Not good-natured ribbing over bowel movements.

Also doctoring is often a bit messy.  Why else do they tell you DON'T YOU EAT A DANG THING OR DRINK ANYTHING BUT WATER 24 HOURS BEFORE SURGERY DANG IT!  Cause you might poop on the table.  Just saying.

Usually, it's so that you don't risk vomiting into your lungs while under general anesthesia.

Quote from: Pretentious on January 31, 2017, 01:59:48 PM

Simply consequence.

From the gemmed help file.

Outside of public scrutiny though, some of Allanak's citizens are willing, when times are desperate enough, to seek out the gemmed for their services - real or imagined. Such liaisons, if discovered, are devastating for the transgressor's social standing and likely their health - with the "taint" of magick being thought to stain them and follow them wherever they go.

That is consequences. Not good-natured ribbing over bowel movements.

Yeah.  Lot of people don't do that.  Some do.  Some don't. 

I still find it humorous that people think that isn't scary.  I mean, what's going on with your body?  You've lost control. 

And if they give a good nature ribbing to them after getting healed, per your own point, they kind of doing it wrong yeah?  According to the help file.

Coded consequence, whether it is my suggestion, which is realistic, whether you like it or not, the science adds up...anyway, coded consequence reinforces non-coded RP expectations.

I think perhaps were people against this idea are going is: If we're going to have coded consequences to back these RP expectations to magick, let's not have it be something that could ultimately just be worth good-natured ribbing after the fact, but something more crippling and devasting, to remove the idea that it could ever be funny... it could happen to you. This isn't meant to forbid this shitty reaction, but rather go far beyond it. How about permanent night terrors or suddenly you give Lover's bleed to everyone you have intercourse with, but you yourself don't have it.  If we're going after a scientific explanation, I've always been a proponent of the idea that the visible magick/energy exchange that zalanthans see is due to massive radiation, and subsequent adaptations to it.

Faster than earth standard healing, powerful blasts of fire/lightning, the bald mutated humanoids, 'defiling' a patch of land or oneself, and ultimately, how mana accumulates and regenerates for elementalists, and why some spots are better. It's all the accumulation and expense of radioactive energy, manipulations of photons, and magnetic fields. Where do irradiated particles accumulate for these Zalanthans? How does magick heal the body and where does the 'excess' of dead flesh go? It becomes waste that's eliminated in the bladder, and thus, the correlation to Lover's Bleed. You start pissing blood until you die, the suckiest of quick killing ZSTD's. And maybe it could be up to the player if they shit themselves or have scars afterwards as a result of magickal healing and have more severe consequences encouraged instead?
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Raptor_Dan on February 01, 2017, 10:35:29 AM
I think perhaps were people against this idea are going is: If we're going to have coded consequences to back these RP expectations to magick, let's not have it be something that could ultimately just be worth good-natured ribbing after the fact, but something more crippling and devasting, to remove the idea that it could ever be funny... it could happen to you. This isn't meant to forbid this shitty reaction, but rather go far beyond it. How about permanent night terrors or suddenly you give Lover's bleed to everyone you have intercourse with, but you yourself don't have it.  If we're going after a scientific explanation, I've always been a proponent of the idea that the visible magick/energy exchange that zalanthans see is due to massive radiation, and subsequent adaptations to it.

Faster than earth standard healing, powerful blasts of fire/lightning, the bald mutated humanoids, 'defiling' a patch of land or oneself, and ultimately, how mana accumulates and regenerates for elementalists, and why some spots are better. It's all the accumulation and expense of radioactive energy, manipulations of photons, and magnetic fields. Where do irradiated particles accumulate for these Zalanthans? How does magick heal the body and where does the 'excess' of dead flesh go? It becomes waste that's eliminated in the bladder, and thus, the correlation to Lover's Bleed. You start pissing blood until you die, the suckiest of quick killing ZSTD's. And maybe it could be up to the player if they shit themselves or have scars afterwards as a result of magickal healing and have more severe consequences encouraged instead?

Maybe a temporary loss to stun and movement would reflect that.  Good point. 

Mostly I just ran down a thought and followed science on it.  Though if we go radiation that would make sense as well.