Instruments that make noise!

Started by Riev, January 27, 2017, 10:28:41 AM

Quote from: nessalin on January 24, 2017, 10:29:35 AM
Instruments have an instrument type.  Some are normal like 'drum' 'flute' others are more esoteric.  Each type has its own message.

While the regular instrument only work for in-room messages, there are some one-off items that message adjacent rooms.

We used to make whistles for halflings and mantis that would send messages 1-5 rooms away.  The mantis because they don't really talk like mammals and were simple whistles that everyone heard the same message.  For halflings they were for hunting.  non-halflings would have a minor chance to see an echo about random bird song, halflings would hear specific messages in the whistle 'flee' 'help' 'prey here' 'hide'.

Bouncing off of this, I suspect this means there is at least a class of item that can echo to distance rooms. Making room for things like "war drums" that echo from rooms away, or whistles that make a piercing shrill, in addition to the supposed ability for your custom-crafted (tm) bagpipes to have their own semi-unique play script.

The idea of war drums, or 'area-based sounds' to intimidate or distract an enemy seems to me, to be right in a tribal-tactician's wheelhouse. Make it sound like a wezer over here, or start playing war drums to the north, but attack from the west. Would people actually use these?

I also assume this is similar to the custom-casting script, just attached to 'classes' of instruments. Is it possible to have a type passthrough, like 'play simple' or 'play complex'? Where a simple play returns "How would you like to play it"? Or would that start getting into an "Instrument playing" skill that is WILDLY unnecessary?

I just think instruments aren't as used in game, and while there is some documentation as to the rudimentary process of playing and what people like to hear vs. not hear, I think the use/play scripts and 'area-of-effect' noises would be a pretty interesting addition. (I'm thinking like... before a raiding party of desert elves attack, they echo out a buzzing noise, or Halfling-like birdcalls to signal when to attack.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I want long range instrument echoes and all that fo sho, but the addition of instrument playing skills probably isn't that useful of an addition, as players are usually responsible when roleplaying their skills in music or lack thereof.  +1!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I would love it if there was a music skill, so people who want to play musically talented characters could use the code to reflect how good of a performance they can offer instead of how flowery their emotes are relative to others.  Simple skill + instrument bonus/penalty based on quality. 

I've seen it done on other MUDS to much success. 

Quote from: wizturbo on January 27, 2017, 01:46:53 PM
I would love it if there was a music skill, so people who want to play musically talented characters could use the code to reflect how good of a performance they can offer instead of how flowery their emotes are relative to others.  Simple skill + instrument bonus/penalty based on quality. 

I've seen it done on other MUDS to much success.

How would the skill be different from those using the emote command in creative ways?

Meaning, without a coded change in the game world (to rooms, characters, objects) as a result of using the skill, how would you tell when someone was using emote or using play/user command with an instrument?
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

One option would be to have it echo something to the performer, and trust them to emote correctly.  E.g.,:

You feel that you didn't quite play that right.
You feel like you played that brilliantly.

Another option would be a canned but very generic echo or hemote to the room:

(The figure's tune seems to falter a little.)

(The figure's tune seems flawless.)

I don't particularly like either option, but some food for thought.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

<sdesc> attempts to play the saxophone, but fails.
  - a brass saxophone degrades in quality

<sdesc> attempts to play the tambourine, but fails.
A chitin tambourine strikes <sdesc> in the head, dealing frightening damage!

<sdesc> attempts to play the fiddle, but gets boo'd off stage.
   -- You haven't played enough Cotton Eye Joe, friend.

While music could add a lot to the game, by way of fleshing out characters and letting groups convey culture, it's hard to see, yet, where this meets the bar for code to regulate how it is done.  Certainly settings like Dune, that the game draws on heavily, made use of it in illustrating each population.

The items are in the game, there's a (very basic) command to utilize them. Until there's a need for code to be involved this seems like it is something better left to players to freestyle with via the emote command.

What about beyond the coded skill command I only briefly even mentioned? Can custom crafters request for THEIR play scripts to be changed or customized? Can you custom-craft a "war drum" that is heard <x> rooms away?

I know the system has CAPABILITIES, but is this something that is even considered? Is it something we'd even use, as players?

January 27, 2017, 02:55:55 PM #10 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:00:00 PM by nessalin
Quote from: Riev on January 27, 2017, 02:48:12 PM
What about beyond the coded skill command I only briefly even mentioned? Can custom crafters request for THEIR play scripts to be changed or customized?

Well, again, it is hard to see how this would expand what players can do rather than restrict it, when the alternative is they have to come up with their own emotes - rather than only being able to use ones that we come up with in advance or have to add, slowly and manually, via requests.  Honestly, it is unclear how this is a benefit when it would be extra work with fewer opportunities for players to RP out playing music.

Quote from: Riev on January 27, 2017, 02:48:12 PM
Can you custom-craft a "war drum" that is heard <x> rooms away?

I know the system has CAPABILITIES, but is this something that is even considered? Is it something we'd even use, as players?

While it would be considered, it again comes down to whether this is expanding or restricting what players can RP out with the items.  If the goal is to have items that can be heard one, two, or even three rooms away it would seem that is a separate issue from having skills reflect how well an instrument can be used.  There's not much skill involved in hitting a base drum or blowing a giant horn to send a message.

The issues should be kept orthogonal, conflating them is at best confusing and and worst deceptive.

I don't know what half those words mean. I assume you mean "Don't ask for added scripts, possible skills, and existing functionality, all in the same discussion post"?

I concede on the first point, I just really liked the play scripts, and was interested in something more than "melodious tune". But you're right, the emote system covers a coded solution.

I suppose that's on me for opening up a discussion.

January 27, 2017, 03:23:04 PM #13 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 03:26:10 PM by nessalin
Meaning the issue of adding code that would govern how skills change the way use/play commands interact with instrument items isn't the same issue as customizing messages on just some instruments or the same issue as making instruments that can be heard beyond the room they are played in.  There's no harm in having those discussions in the same thread, but they are separate issues to be discussed.  Each can happen in the absence of the others.

My natural inclination is "Look! Someone in authority is speaking! Disagree with them!"

But in this case, I agree. If you hardcode musical instruments, it won't take long before you'll be looked down upon for emoting out musical instrument play. And that's the way I prefer to do it. Otherwise how do I distinguish myself from some other dude with a flute?

Quote from: Riev on January 27, 2017, 03:06:58 PM
I concede on the first point, I just really liked the play scripts, and was interested in something more than "melodious tune". But you're right, the emote system covers a coded solution.

I concede on the first point

I concede

I suppose that's on me for opening up a discussion.

January 27, 2017, 05:00:35 PM #16 Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 05:05:03 PM by BadSkeelz
More instruments that give echos to nearby rooms could potentially be cool. Ideally you'd be able to customize that echo based on some sort of input of the >play/use command. Barring that, a generic echo would let players know something is at least going on and can be checked out.