This Chits Idea...

Started by Shoka Windrunner, January 26, 2017, 05:02:07 PM

Quote from: Delirium on January 27, 2017, 01:49:13 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on January 27, 2017, 01:42:40 AM
I disagree.

It doesn't bother me at all.

It's not a big deal, no. Still, you asked why people don't like it, so... that's my perspective on why.

It would make more thematic sense if we could sell everything we hunted, in this "resource poor" (lol) desert world.

1. While we OOCly know that the scrab legs and whatever come from someone using the 'skin' command, if I come upon the Carnage in a room, I'll pretend it was some other monster ripping the thing apart.  Or I blame dwarves.

2. The rooms are pretty big outdoors, like a league by a league, so again I just pretend its random Carnage or something the vultures brought in.

Now rock piles.  That drives me bonkers!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: Delirium on January 27, 2017, 01:49:13 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on January 27, 2017, 01:42:40 AM
I disagree.

It doesn't bother me at all.

It's not a big deal, no. Still, you asked why people don't like it, so... that's my perspective on why.

It would make more thematic sense if we could sell everything we hunted, in this "resource poor" (lol) desert world.

The question of what makes sense thematically has to be balanced with what makes sense for game design.

I don't really run into anyone who's not getting MORE than enough 'sid from various sorts of grebbing.  It doesn't seem like we need to add yet another revenue stream.

The giblet spam is, I'd reckon, from noob PCs (not players) practicing skinning. PC turnover is so high that there's a constant stream of rangers, warriors, subclass hunters/outdoorsmen/whatevers that need to get it raised up with a quickness so they can get that next-level greb, so they skin the heaps of dead chalton that the scrabs leave around.  Also, once rangers get skinning high enough, they need to practice tanning all of a sudden, and chalton hides are readily available for that...while the rest of the junk is unimportant.

Any way you slice it...doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  If anything, the problem is that the scrab density around Allanak is too high.  I'm at the point where, once my PCs don't need shit from scrabs, I just leave them critically wounded so the damn things don't respawn and I don't have to waste time with them anymore.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

... which is in large part why I suggested having it simply get "covered over" by sand within 90 mins...

lol

circle of life

I think things are fine as they are.

How do you write code that differentiates between a scrab body and a PC body?  How does the code tell the difference between an item that entered the room from a disarm or a wielded-weapons-death-drop or a body decaying away, from a skinning success?  How does the code know how long an item has been in the room?

It just seems like an awful lot of trouble to put this sort of thing together and avoid all the potential fuckups related to items automatically disappearing, relative to the benefit of "Oh, now some OCD people don't have to be skeeved out by clutter."
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Fathi on January 27, 2017, 12:38:31 AM
For the record I'd also be totally fine with more crafting recipes for some objects, I just didn't bring that up here since this was a thread about chit system and alternate currencies. :D

And it isn't just scrab and chalton parts, for the record. There's a couple other things too, as well as some forageables, that always seem to end up lying around in great piles.

I wonder if the new meatcraft additions addressed this.

One of my great thrills is coming across a dead player and going through their pockets. Any code to cover up chalton bits so someone isn't "thematically jarred" had better not take that joy away from me.

I mean, for the record, the large number of corpses isn't just from scrab-on-chalton crime. Some chalton spawn aggro and start just rutting around trying to be an alpha chalton.

I usually tell all my hunting partners to 'bury the things you don't want', or at the least to junk them. Its already concerning how there are seemingly hundreds of chalton running wild, killing each other, and no actual ranches, but thematically you're just inviting more vultures and spiders into the area.

I think the 'trade a dozen chalton horns for five packages of rations' is completely doable, HOWEVER I know this community. Someone would decide then that "well then if a package of rations costs 150 coins, and it takes a dozen horns, you're setting the price of those horns at 12-13 coins a piece, but I can sell them for more at a shop. I SHOULD GET TWO RATIONS FIX ECONOMY".

I think the Meatcraft project will, eventually, address the concerns. Maybe in the interim, make chalton a bit tougher, or stop the chalton-on-chalton crime?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Heh. Okay. I'm feeling pretty mellow today so I won't quibble about this.

It doesn't really bother me to see a bunch of dead chalton and I've never NOT found a chalton still alive when I wanted to kill one. (Can't say the same about verrin hawks).

As for the economy, after I've bought my initial gear I find that coin just sticks to my fingers. Nenyuk sends me Christmas cards with all the coin I've left them.

I have a story about why dead Charlon were a boon for a PC of mine, but I can't share that one for a while, still.

I don't know why I posted this.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Want to talk about broken economics?

Almost always when I rent an apartment anywhere, I find that the stuff left in it is worth at least as much as the cost to rent it. :)

Quote from: Miradus on January 27, 2017, 10:55:41 AM

Want to talk about broken economics?

Almost always when I rent an apartment anywhere, I find that the stuff left in it is worth at least as much as the cost to rent it. :)

Hehe, two summers back there was a group of [redacted] gemmed who would monitor who owned what apartment then rent them after they died.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Seems legit. :)

One apartment I rented had a chest with a bunch of body oils, candy, and a huge selection of lacy undergarments.

I felt icky just being in there.

Making stuff that isn't usuable otherwise give small ration type boons would probably be nice for those off peak players who never really see a merchant being stuff.

At least then that would handle that bit and give a purpose to the useless greb.

Dunno.  Just...let's not get to angry or anything.  It's just a discussion.  Not like any of us is currently coding it in as we type/read this.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.