On attending RPTs (or not) as an offpeaker

Started by Akaramu, January 21, 2017, 06:12:19 PM

What?  No.  I mean, I guess it wouldn't be weird for people to ask why you only ever go to RPTs of type X, but if there's a halfway decent explanation, any leader player should be willing to take it.

On the flip side, if you join a combat clan and never go to combat RPTs of any sort, no matter the circumstances, people might be within their rights to wonder why you didn't join a different type of clan, and within their rights to not promote your char, because s/he does not advance the raison d'etre of the clan.

But I don't think that second situation applies to you as you presented it.  There are certain types of RPTs you can't attend at certain times.  That's totally reasonable.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on January 22, 2017, 10:53:35 PM
On the flip side, if you join a combat clan and never go to combat RPTs of any sort, no matter the circumstances, people might be within their rights to wonder why you didn't join a different type of clan, and within their rights to not promote your char, because s/he does not advance the raison d'etre of the clan.

This part is what I've struggled with as a leader, before. People joining a combat clan, but not ever attending the RPTs that involve combat. (Note: MOST people actually ONLY attend the RPTs, sometimes I never see people at all unless something is planned weeks ahead of time). Like when I was in the Legions, and someone would join as a Recruit, I'd almost never see them, but after they'd been around a year they were wondering when I'd make them a Private.

Now, they HAVE virtually been around a year, but their playtime is like 3days played. Do I worry about their coded skill and ability to perform in the role? Do I promote someone into full membership even though I can't vouch for their ability or even attitude?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 23, 2017, 09:28:07 AM
Now, they HAVE virtually been around a year, but their playtime is like 3days played. Do I worry about their coded skill and ability to perform in the role? Do I promote someone into full membership even though I can't vouch for their ability or even attitude?

I wouldn't promote them unless they were actually around, but outside my playtimes. In that case, staff / other clan PCs could most likely help resolve the issue.

I'm 57.  I well remember when I could stay up partying/playing D&D/whatever until 4am, catch two hours of sleep and go to work the next day and be just fine.

But that part of your life doesn't last long lol!

I don't know about you young pups, but when it starts getting very late for me (and that means nearing midnight these days), I start making lots of typos.  I start making lots of dumb mistakes, like forgetting to draw my weapon or leaving my beetle resting while I follow blithely off into the sands.  I can't muster the focus to follow the rapid flow of text in a large combat situation as well as I usually can.  If I had to get up at 4am to do that, I might as well just suicide my PC, it just ain't gonna work.  Sorry, there's simply nothing I can do about it.

So I understand the OP's situation. 

I also understand it from a combat leader's point of view.  You need to be able to count on having your people so you can accomplish your mission.  If someone doesn't show up, what use are they to you?  It's true that if you are not useful to the crew then you shouldn't be promoted.

Maybe leaders could find ways to make the off-peak PC useful.  Maybe the off-peak PC can think up ideas to make themselves useful to the combat leader.  Both sides would have to work harder to make it a symbiotic relationship.  In a big inclusive clan like the Byn, maybe there can be an effort to have someone who can lead outings at an off-peak time.  These days some troopers get to do that right?  And there are always more than one sergeant.

January 23, 2017, 10:01:53 AM #29 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:28:35 AM by Akaramu
Quote from: Is Friday on January 22, 2017, 02:34:07 PM
I remember when someone reported me for sending them a PM. I ask them to stop harassing another clan member for not playing very much and/or being afk because of children.  ;D

If someone was excessively afk not just once or twice, but during every sparring session / every time the clan does anything, I'd have to wonder why they're playing in a clan. Because when it's excessive it's frustrating for everyone else. Infinitely more frustrating than simply not logging in while the kids are awake. And if I was that person's leader, I'd definitely say something IC / OOC.

Fortunately this is super rare. I think I've only encountered it twice in 13 years. 99% of players go afk occasionally, not excessively.

Quote from: Riev on January 23, 2017, 09:28:07 AM
Like when I was in the Legions, and someone would join as a Recruit, I'd almost never see them, but after they'd been around a year they were wondering when I'd make them a Private.

I see your point, Riev, but 3 days played over six RL weeks (the average IG recruit year) averages out to more than an RL hour and a half a day.  That's actually quite reasonable.

If instead they only had 10 hours played over that same span, or if they played those 3 days in the first two weeks and then didn't log in for 4 weeks, I could understand not promoting them.  But if they are logging in regularly, I think they should get promoted (unless there are IC reasons not to).  It can be difficult to figure that out, especially if their playtimes don't line up with yours, but a little judicious use of OOC here can generally clear things up.

[Though, I'll say, for the record, I certainly wouldn't ask them how many days played they have.  If I say they "don't have enough experience" or something, though, and they volunteer OOC, that feels less meta-gamey.]
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

If you log in regularly you should do well, if you dont you wont do as well. Thats just how the game is sadly.

I feel like this thread will go on until someone tells Akaramu that if she can't make it to every single RPTs then she should just quit the game.

That's the nature of the GDB!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."