Author Topic: The current Prez  (Read 20634 times)

Yam

Re: The current Prez
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:52 AM »
Now you're just complaining about Godzilla before he makes landfall. He hasn't made changes to science funding. Yet.

Pic related:

BadSkeelz

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 12:11:46 AM »
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Yam

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 03:12:26 AM »
Make the hands smaller.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:41 AM »
So what, I'm not supposed to complain until I'm personally and tangibly affected?

That may not be far off.  I get my insurance through the ACA exchange and the funding for my upcoming contract is from a government research grant in one of the agencies targeted for research cuts.

Granted, it's not research in a subject that usually "triggers" Republicans, but I don't have any reason to believe Trump's executive orders will be particularly precise.

Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 12:21:39 PM »
I'm not sure executive orders have -that- much of an impact on spending.

The President’s decision to impound large amounts of appropriated funds led to two approaches to curtail the power. First, many persons and organizations, with a reasonable expectation of receipt of the impounded funds upon their release, brought large numbers of suits; with a few exceptions, these suits resulted in decisions denying the President either constitutional or statutory power to decline to spend or obligate funds, and the Supreme Court, presented with only statutory arguments by the Administration, held that no discretion existed under the particular statute to withhold allotments of funds to the States.

“Policy” impoundments were to be reported to Congress by the President as permanent rescissions and, perhaps, as temporary deferrals.634 Rescissions are merely recommendations or proposals of the President and must be authorized by a bill or joint resolution, or, after 45 days from the presidential message, the funds must be made available for obligation.

Title X of the Act, also known as the Impoundment Control Act of 1974, specifies that the President may request that Congress rescind appropriated funds. If both the Senate and the House of Representatives have not approved a rescission proposal (by passing legislation) within 45 days of continuous session, any funds being withheld must be made available for obligation. Congress is not required to vote on the request, and has ignored most Presidential requests.[4] In response, some have called for a line item veto to strengthen the rescission power and force Congress to vote on the disputed funds.

The Act was passed in response to feelings in Congress that President Nixon was abusing his power of impoundment by withholding funding of programs he opposed. The Act, especially after Train v. City of New York (1975), effectively removed the presidential power of impoundment.

So...basically...Congress has to vote to approve the spending, then the President has to order it impounded, and within 45 days, Congress has to re-vote to block the spending that they already voted in favor of.  I.e. both the President and Congress have to be total dicks.  This is not likely to happen, given that House Representatives must be frequently re-elected.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 12:30:29 PM by Synthesis »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yam

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »
So what, I'm not supposed to complain until I'm personally and tangibly affected?

That may not be far off.  I get my insurance through the ACA exchange and the funding for my upcoming contract is from a government research grant in one of the agencies targeted for research cuts.

Granted, it's not research in a subject that usually "triggers" Republicans, but I don't have any reason to believe Trump's executive orders will be particularly precise.

I'm saying you'll get something to really complain about soon enough.

FamousAmos

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2017, 01:46:20 PM »
Wait for it

To add to Boogs link:

http://www.snopes.com/2017/01/23/melania-trump-frowning-inauguration/

Yeah, Melania is not a happy camper.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2017, 07:03:53 PM »
Organized 30+ people today for a walk-in at my congressman's district office to defend the ACA.

They wouldn't tell us when he'll be back in the district or when we would be able to speak with him directly. I have his personal cell number and tried to put him on speaker but he wouldn't answer.

We ended up leaving 32 individual letters from individuals saved by ACA coverage and medical professionals. Individual letters are a good trick, because a petition gets one file in the cabinet, while each letter gets its own file.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Morrolan

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 11:07:21 PM »
Is it time to bring back mutual aid societies yet?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Yam

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 11:24:15 PM »
Organized 30+ people today for a walk-in at my congressman's district office to defend the ACA.

They wouldn't tell us when he'll be back in the district or when we would be able to speak with him directly. I have his personal cell number and tried to put him on speaker but he wouldn't answer.

We ended up leaving 32 individual letters from individuals saved by ACA coverage and medical professionals. Individual letters are a good trick, because a petition gets one file in the cabinet, while each letter gets its own file.

You worked on a campaign. You should know better.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 02:06:15 AM »
Several candidates shared their cell numbers at university events and encouraged curious students to call them with questions.

I can't speak for other candidates, but my boss took every call.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 06:57:24 AM »
And so we find ourselves in a world where both the losers and the winners of an election believe it was rigged...

Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 11:50:15 AM »
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/01/donald-trump-2016-election-oklahoma-working-class

This kind of jives with the sentiment I get from Trump voters around me.  A list of grievances about how put-upon they are, and completely immune to all data and/or reasoning to the contrary.

Lutagar

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 12:39:15 PM »
He's just scrapped the TTIP.  ;D

Sayyadina

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
"American carnage" is exactly what these first few days have felt like.  Trump thinks of himself as a builder, a creater, but so far he's done nothing but destroy.  Remove mortgage support for low-income families, cut arts funding, slash science funding, hack away at healthcare, and freeze federal hiring and pay raises.  There's no building.  There's no job creation.  There's not even TALK about anything constructive, just more fucking whining about the media and lying about crowd sizes, CIA feud, and popular vote results.

It's like watching a rabid hyena tear bloody chunks out of a living buffalo who is still standing but too tired and wounded to fight back.

At least he doesn't use a private email server, though.
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

Marauder Moe

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 01:23:10 PM »
If she hadn't done that then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Not everything that happened to cost Clinton the election was her fault, but a lot of it was.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 01:31:59 PM »

Not everything that happened to cost Clinton the election was her fault, but a lot of it was.

Dude seriously

Repubs somewhere are cackling in glee.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 01:32:32 PM »
If she hadn't done the media hadn't relentlessly pursued that then we wouldn't be in this mess.

FTFY

Marauder Moe

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »
I'll say it again:

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »

You also said this.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2017, 01:46:24 PM »
I mean, if she hadn't done it, there wouldn't have been a story to pursue.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
I mean, if she hadn't done it, there wouldn't have been a story to pursue.

Oh darn, if I didn't stub my toe yesterday, it wouldn't hurt!

I mean at the time that she actually did it, it wasn't out of the ordinary. It was made into a big deal.

I can't believe this is still a topic of actual serious discussion.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2017, 01:48:24 PM »
I'm sorry, I recall that even Clinton herself came around to admitting it was a mistake.  Was it not?  Is she a blamless victim here?

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2017, 01:49:43 PM »
No. I never said she was. I mean, it'd be my fault if I stubbed my toe too.

I'm just really tired of seeing people jump on the smear campaign train.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »
Every Secretary of State since the dawn of email has used private email servers. The focus on Clinton's was purely political.

Her main problem was that she has the personality of a lobster. I'd also say the Clinton Foundation was an anchor but considering people voted for Trump and his cronycabinet I'm actually skeptical as to whether voters give a shit about conflicts of interest. Maybe she just wasn't flagrantly corrupt enough?

I can't believe this is still a topic of actual serious discussion.

I imagine it's coming from the same part of our brains that make us talk about our football team even though they're now out of the playoffs, just because we don't want to think of the goddamn fucking patriots being in the super bowl again.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.