Author Topic: The current Prez  (Read 32373 times)

Morrolan

Re: The current Prez
« Reply #1125 on: August 15, 2017, 11:48:08 PM »
So yeah, bonkers.
Agreed on all counts.

The lack of discourse on the Right is coming to be matched by a lack of discourse on the Left. On the one hand, this is a threat to democracy.

On the other hand, so is one of the two major parties pandering to a bunch of nativists in order to gain power.

Is there a path back to the gentleman's agreement that is America, or is Trump the metaphorical end of the Republic?
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

James de Monet

« Reply #1126 on: August 16, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »
Is there a path back to the gentleman's agreement that is America, or is Trump the metaphorical end of the Republic?

That would require people to be gentle[persons] first, and left or right second.  The fire and fury of this particular swing suggests that it is largely a backlash against what happened before.  Maybe much of America wasn't ready to go as far left as we went, as fast as we went there.  Incidentally, I don't believe much of America was ready to go as far right as we now seem to be swinging either, so...the backswing is coming.  It's just a matter of time.  One just tends to hope that the pendulum loses momentum with each swing, rather than gaining it.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Yam

« Reply #1127 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:35 AM »
So yeah, bonkers.
Agreed on all counts.

The lack of discourse on the Right is coming to be matched by a lack of discourse on the Left. On the one hand, this is a threat to democracy.

On the other hand, so is one of the two major parties pandering to a bunch of nativists in order to gain power.

Yup. Yup. Yup.

Remains to be seen. I'm less optimistic than I was before.

Morrolan

« Reply #1128 on: August 16, 2017, 02:05:35 AM »
I'm a gentleman first. Maybe it's just because I am solidly middle age. Maybe it's because I've come back from the dead more times than John Snow.

America needs us to be good citizens, not outrageous assholes who claim they are good citizens. It's not leading by example. It's being the adult in the room.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

BadSkeelz

« Reply #1129 on: August 16, 2017, 02:11:11 AM »
Hey until you institute an asshole tax at the polls, we're going to get the government we deserve.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Morrolan

« Reply #1130 on: August 16, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »
Hey until you institute an asshole tax at the polls, we're going to get the government we deserve.

Well then, BadSkeelz, you have your marching orders.  8)

tapas

« Reply #1131 on: August 16, 2017, 04:34:45 PM »
Turning this into a left vs. right reduction is silly.

The reality is that society isn't willing to condemn racist speech like it was before. Instead we let them hide behind the plausible defenses of "free speech" and "anti political correctness". All but signaling to the racists that it's okay for them to come out in their explicit hatred.

Sayyadina

« Reply #1132 on: August 16, 2017, 05:17:31 PM »
Turning this into a left vs. right reduction is silly.

The reality is that society isn't willing to condemn racist speech like it was before. Instead we let them hide behind the plausible defenses of "free speech" and "anti political correctness". All but signaling to the racists that it's okay for them to come out in their explicit hatred.

It's not a Left vs. Right thing. Rather, it's an All Non-Bigots vs. Right thing.
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

boog

« Reply #1133 on: August 16, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
I can't believe the same people who shit all over Kaepernick kneeling for the anthem are okay with people wearing Nazi regalia and murdering women by plowing them over in their cars.

Like. What the fuck? Is this bizzaro world?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #1134 on: August 16, 2017, 11:34:09 PM »
Yes.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

Morrolan

« Reply #1135 on: August 17, 2017, 02:07:38 AM »
1) There are a lot of angry, racist Americans.
2) Can we go back to limiting their public discourse to Jerry Springer?
3) The Republican Party, if it could choose to act for the good of the country, could solve this tomorrow.

Riev

« Reply #1136 on: August 17, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
3) The Republican Party, if it could choose to act for the good of the country, could solve this tomorrow.

This, I think, is the most frustrating part of our 2-party system right now.

They're not so much "to blame" for everything, although I'm certain people could make convincing claims. However, they -are- at fault for not taking the necessary steps to make this country BETTER, opting instead to focus on party unity/strength.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #1137 on: August 18, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Strongheart

« Reply #1138 on: August 18, 2017, 06:22:10 PM »
Die gedanken sind frei.

HavokBlue

• Helper
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Synthesis

« Reply #1140 on: November 02, 2017, 06:24:58 PM »
If my aunt had a dick, she'd be my uncle.  ::)

What does the voter roll purge in NYC have to do with anything?  Are you honestly suggesting that Hillary personally demanded that the rolls be purged to prevent being primaried by Bernie?  Because...that's absurd.  Nobody's even putting numbers out there about how many ACTUAL voters were turned away at the polls.  If they purged 200,000 voters and 199,993 of them didn't show up to vote...who cares?  Where's the beef?  Hillary pwned Bernie by freaking 265,000 votes in NYC.  Even if every one of those 200,000 people had turned up to vote Bernie, she STILL WOULD'VE WON.

Party machinations are always loaded with bullcrap.  There's nothing new there.  It looks like they were funneling all the money out of safe districts and into battlegrounds and the Presidential election, which makes perfect sense.  Why would non-competitive states want to burn money for nothing?  Why would safe states want to burn money for nothing?  Would any of those states have had any of that money anyway, if Hillary hadn't been fundraising for it?  It sounds like whatever DWS was doing sure as hell wasn't working.

Who cares what some Trump pollster thinks?  Dollars to donuts he's just trolling for liberal tears, and you're taking the bait.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 06:59:42 PM by Synthesis »
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Yam

« Reply #1141 on: November 03, 2017, 06:12:24 AM »
You really need to get up to date on your pronouns, bud.