Author Topic: The current Prez  (Read 34617 times)

boog

Re: The current Prez
« Reply #1100 on: June 09, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
Can I talk about how much I hate Richard Burr here?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Morrolan

« Reply #1101 on: June 17, 2017, 01:42:56 PM »
It's going to be extremely difficult to convince people that they might actually have more spending money and better healthcare despite having a higher tax rate, because they aren't padding the trust funds of three different middlemen anymore.

It will be very difficult to do so while paid experts scream that there's too much uncertainty in the proposed system and paid spokespeople of monied interests reinforce that the healthcare system is CHANGING and NO ONE KNOWS THE FUTURE and the people who might benefit most adopt a passive wait-and-see stance.

So, agreed.

I don't know if you live in California but you pretty much summed up the talking points of the opposition.

I do, and I did, and I thought my meaning was clear.  My point was that the monied interests are using media (in the largest sense) to attack the ability of people to be rational, by inducing panic. Which works. This is how they get people to vote against their own self interest.

So how do people interested in leading the country, instead of preying on it, bypass that tactic?

ETA: More broadly, how do we call politicians on using marketing to achieve goals? What can we do so that they have to lead instead of using marketing campaigns to manipulate people into supporting them? Because two opposing parties appealing to people's brainstems for votes isn't democracy anymore.

Is there a way to inoculate people, at least partly, from marketing? What's the secret? Critical thinking? Rhetoric?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 02:07:31 PM by Morrolan »
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #1102 on: June 17, 2017, 10:59:20 PM »
The single payer bill is going to end up on the ballot one way or another, I think. If they make it through the legislature and the Governor, they'll need anywhere from one to three ballot initiatives to get voter approval for funding exemptions.

If they DON'T survive the legislature, CNA and NNU are going to drop a cool million to put it on the ballot anyway.

When this happens, we'll get a repeat of Prop 61 last year, where "Californians Against Deceptive Rx Propositions" spent $110 million to kill a measure that would have reduced prescription drug prices by tying them to VA rates. "Californians Against Deceptive Rx Propositions" was of course, Merck and Pfizer.

Passing legislature like AB 14 (California DISCLOSE Act) which requires advertisements for or against ballot measures to show the top three true funders would mitigate this sort of marketing war that happens. Instead of "Californians For Healthy Kids" at the bottom, we'd see "Paid for by Anthem Blue Cross".
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Morrolan

« Reply #1103 on: June 18, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »
I do hope CA gets single payer or even some equivalent of Romneycare if a devil's bargain must be made. But the US's problem goes deeper.

In the American balance between democracy and capitalism, we have slipped too far in the direction of the latter. All attempts to rebalance the equation are met with stiff resistance by monied interests.

I support the left because they more effectively back investment in basic infrastructure (people get food, education, and healthcare) when structural instability screws people.

But democracy only works if both sides adhere, more or less,  to a gentleman's agreement to pretend that voters are rational, issues matter, and in the end we're all Americans.

Until that agreement is resumed, we're in for mob rule, instability, and a loss of American standing in the world.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

MeTekillot

« Reply #1104 on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »
Pendulum is gonna swing before guillotines drop, hopefully. Don't feel like dealing with a civil war.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

MeTekillot

« Reply #1105 on: June 22, 2017, 01:37:56 PM »
I wouldn't mind stringing up my main man Mitch McConnel (sp?) though, but therapy is helping me realize violence is not tbe cleanest answer.
Where have you buried the body, MeTekillot?

Is Friday

« Reply #1106 on: July 22, 2017, 07:36:31 PM »
RIP Sean Spicer

Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Malken

« Reply #1107 on: July 27, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
This is awesome:

http://www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

“Reince is a fucking paranoid schizophrenic, a paranoiac,” Scaramucci said. He channelled Priebus as he spoke: “ ‘Oh, Bill Shine is coming in. Let me leak the fucking thing and see if I can cock-block these people the way I cock-blocked Scaramucci for six months.’ ” (Priebus did not respond to a request for comment.)

Scaramucci also told me that, unlike other senior officials, he had no interest in media attention. “I’m not Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock,” he said, speaking of Trump’s chief strategist. “I’m not trying to build my own brand off the fucking strength of the President. I’m here to serve the country.” (Bannon declined to comment.)
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

boog

« Reply #1108 on: July 27, 2017, 09:04:46 PM »
Mooch is an example as to why Italians aren't the best spokespeople of anything.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #1109 on: July 28, 2017, 02:42:03 PM »
Mooch is an example as to why Italians aren't the best spokespeople of anything.

Mooch can't even get Trump's golf game right.

http://www.newsweek.com/anthony-scaramucci-boasted-trump-could-sink-3-foot-golf-putts-white-house-says-643242

Before he was forced into damage control over a foul-mouthed tirade to a journalist, Anthony Scaramucci told reporters at a White House briefing how President Donald Trump was a competitive guy who could hole 3-foot golf putts. However either by mistake or design the official transcript of the press conference reads that the president's golfing prowess is 10 times better than that.

I would love to see a golf tournament between Trump and Kim Jong Un.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Malken

« Reply #1110 on: July 31, 2017, 03:11:53 PM »
Anthony Scaramucci is already out :( lol
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

boog

« Reply #1111 on: July 31, 2017, 03:26:48 PM »
What a fucking shame. We were in for some solid gold hits.
There is only one boog.

Sayyadina

« Reply #1112 on: July 31, 2017, 04:24:23 PM »
What a fucking shame. We were in for some solid gold hits.

He's gone before his time, alas.

Are we tired of all the winning that's coming from the "finely tuned machine" that is Trump's administration?
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

--Lady Nymeria Sand, A Feast for Crows

boog

« Reply #1113 on: July 31, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
He's a psychopath surrounded by psychopaths. I try to find the good in the bad, but I can't think of a single good thing he's done yet.

Can't we just impeach everyone until we get to Mattis? He's sincerely the only legitimate appointee/person in general in the whole administration.
There is only one boog.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #1114 on: July 31, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
Can't we just impeach everyone until we get to Mattis? He's sincerely the only legitimate appointee/person in general in the whole administration.

http://www.theonion.com/graphic/only-adult-left-trump-administration-named-mad-dog-56513
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Large Hero

« Reply #1115 on: August 04, 2017, 01:00:07 AM »
<snip>

I wrote a big long post about Donnie-boy's phone calls, but, meh.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 01:24:18 AM by Large Hero »
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Sayyadina

« Reply #1116 on: August 11, 2017, 03:39:54 PM »
“No more should you doubt this, my prince – my sisters and I shall not wait ten-and-seven years for our vengeance.”

Molten Heart

« Reply #1117 on: August 11, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »
Seems like crazy hyperbole. So glad crazy people don't make laws, oh wait... Congress, never mind.

Morrolan

« Reply #1118 on: August 12, 2017, 02:31:19 AM »
Certifiably bonkers polling results: majority of GOP voters polled would be cool with Trump postponing the next general election.

I am wondering what these poll numbers actually mean. Polls obviously don't really test belief. They test statements of belief. It's a conceit of the West that we assume that what people say somehow mirrors an internal state that is relatively stable and rational. It's a conceit that democracy is founded upon.

IME, just because a girlfriend says she'll love you forever, doesn't mean she even knows what love is, or will be around in a year. People confuse emotional depth with duration all the time. Her statement is an emotional statement. So is a normal person's ascription to one political party or another. Maybe such memberships weren't always tribal, but they certainly are now.

Sure, polls test something. But let's not get confused by attributing it to thought or even belief. Polls have become political performance. Did we learn nothing from the election?

That's right. Now that members of political parties understand what polls are and how they are used, their answers have become performance. It is political theater at the level of the individual. And if they believe their performances, that's not distinguishable from theater.

We consistently worry about what people "believe" but the reality is that most people don't believe so much as perform belief as a social act. The sooner we clue in to this reality, the sooner we can stop letting the extremists on both sides hijack the political dialogue.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:04:50 AM by Morrolan »

Sayyadina

« Reply #1119 on: August 14, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
Certifiably bonkers polling results: majority of GOP voters polled would be cool with Trump postponing the next general election.

I am wondering what these poll numbers actually mean. Polls obviously don't really test belief. They test statements of belief. It's a conceit of the West that we assume that what people say somehow mirrors an internal state that is relatively stable and rational. It's a conceit that democracy is founded upon.

IME, just because a girlfriend says she'll love you forever, doesn't mean she even knows what love is, or will be around in a year. People confuse emotional depth with duration all the time. Her statement is an emotional statement. So is a normal person's ascription to one political party or another. Maybe such memberships weren't always tribal, but they certainly are now.

Sure, polls test something. But let's not get confused by attributing it to thought or even belief. Polls have become political performance. Did we learn nothing from the election?

That's right. Now that members of political parties understand what polls are and how they are used, their answers have become performance. It is political theater at the level of the individual. And if they believe their performances, that's not distinguishable from theater.

We consistently worry about what people "believe" but the reality is that most people don't believe so much as perform belief as a social act. The sooner we clue in to this reality, the sooner we can stop letting the extremists on both sides hijack the political dialogue.

So I happen to share your belief that polling answers don't necessarily equal inner thoughts or beliefs. The same goes for literally anything anyone says. And sure, partisanship is a helluva drug. But what people say and how people answer polls both are still informative. I'm willing to bet that a similar poll of Democrats during Obama's administration would never have shown a majority in favor of postponing elections.

It's no coincidence that it's the voters of the right wing party that are okay with postponing elections just like it's no coincidence that it is the right wing party that elected a crude imbecile like Trump to be president just like it's no coincidence that it was a right winger that murdered a woman and injured 19 others with his car for the crime of daring to oppose racist oppression just this past weekend.

IMO all those data points are related.

edit: So since I posted this initially 20 or so minutes ago, there's news of another right winger thwarted in an attempt at mass murder (meant to imitate perhaps the most famous example of right wing mass murder in the US).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 03:56:25 PM by Sayyadina »

Morrolan

« Reply #1120 on: August 15, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »
edit: So since I posted this initially 20 or so minutes ago, there's news of another right winger thwarted in an attempt at mass murder (meant to imitate perhaps the most famous example of right wing mass murder in the US).

So yeah, bonkers. And their "beliefs" are bonkers. Bonkers in the sense that they aren't rational. It's like being in a room where people don't believe in gravity, they just think things fall because of the will of God. It's fine if all you want to do is flirt a little, but it's a lousy way to run a country or design an iPhone.

These "citizens" aren't simply willing to postpone the election, they're quite willing to say and do anything, even shit on the traditions of democracy, because they "believe" in their divinely mandated place in the world. It's not truly a "belief" in that it's not rational or hooked to any rational set of thoughts.

Sayyadina

« Reply #1121 on: August 15, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »
So yeah, bonkers. And their "beliefs" are bonkers. Bonkers in the sense that they aren't rational. It's like being in a room where people don't believe in gravity, they just think things fall because of the will of God. It's fine if all you want to do is flirt a little, but it's a lousy way to run a country or design an iPhone.

These "citizens" aren't simply willing to postpone the election, they're quite willing to say and do anything, even shit on the traditions of democracy, because they "believe" in their divinely mandated place in the world. It's not truly a "belief" in that it's not rational or hooked to any rational set of thoughts.

Agreed on all counts.

In my experience the only consistent belief in the right wing rank and file is that they're better than "liberals." The definition of "liberals" changes frequently, but there is no changing the hatred of them nor the conviction that the right wing is better than them. There are those that are more or less crude about it, or more or less violent about it, but the burning need to prove that "liberals" are the real baddies is the constant. It's all over right wing talk radio and it's the end product of any attempt to discuss policy. It's pure atavistic tribalism.

A good example is today's Brett Stephens column in the NY Times ostensibly about the Charlottesville tragedy, but that actually is a whiny anti-Obama screed.

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #1122 on: August 15, 2017, 05:30:48 PM »
Since I like to masochistically submerge myself in far-right youtuber territory, I'm relieved that what happened with Charlottesville is being condemned so widely. So many videos with hundreds of thousands of views and tonnes of likes have comments sections in which white nationalism, The great replacement, and establishing a white ethno-state have become normalised. It's kinda frightening.

Sayyadina

« Reply #1123 on: August 15, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »
Since I like to masochistically submerge myself in far-right youtuber territory, I'm relieved that what happened with Charlottesville is being condemned so widely. So many videos with hundreds of thousands of views and tonnes of likes have comments sections in which white nationalism, The great replacement, and establishing a white ethno-state have become normalised. It's kinda frightening.

Your masochism is deeper than mine! My #MAGA lust is only deep enough to take me regularly to my local right wing radio station and an occasional taste of Fox News.

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #1124 on: August 15, 2017, 06:27:06 PM »

Your masochism is deeper than mine! My #MAGA lust is only deep enough to take me regularly to my local right wing radio station and an occasional taste of Fox News.
I tend to supplement with some ContraPoints or other less..... nationalist youtubers after. It helps. A little bit.