Coder Transparency - Cure/Poison Crafting

Started by nessalin, January 20, 2017, 09:04:29 AM

Quote from: Nao on September 02, 2018, 03:41:46 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on September 02, 2018, 02:52:42 PM
Have you given any more thought to being able to taste mashes?

When you're in the process of brewing multiple items over multiple RL days, it's pretty annoying to try to keep track of which sticky ball of yellow powder came from which object.

I mean...the only way to do it is to keep numerous container objects on you and religiously separate items of different taste into designated containers.  Which...yeah, okay, it's workable, but it's pretty annoying, and if you accidentally f*** it up, it's chaos.  You could accidentally end up with a tablet that does god knows what, which means you essentially have to junk everything of that color in that pouch just to be sure that your mistakenly-placed powder ball isn't going to f*** up your system.

Does using analyze on your mashes or tablets solve that problem?

Every mash and vial I've analyzed so far "tastes like ash," even though they started from 4 different tastes with 4 different colors.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 03, 2018, 02:40:41 AM
Every mash and vial I've analyzed so far "tastes like ash," even though they started from 4 different tastes with 4 different colors.

That means that either A: You did not make a viable cure or B: You made something bad. Only viable cures display their tastes when analyzed, which is how I've personally figured out what is what. if everything else displayed their tastes as well, I'd be lost with figuring out what I have.

Quote from: Cabooze on September 03, 2018, 02:50:54 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on September 03, 2018, 02:40:41 AM

That means that either A: You did not make a viable cure or B: You made something bad. Only viable cures display their tastes when analyzed, which is how I've personally figured out what is what. if everything else displayed their tastes as well, I'd be lost with figuring out what I have.

At advanced brewing, all 5 different taste combinations I've managed to create have turned out analyzing as ash.  Not exactly a promising start.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on September 04, 2018, 01:37:55 AM
At advanced brewing, all 5 different taste combinations I've managed to create have turned out analyzing as ash.  Not exactly a promising start.

Without giving too much away, might I suggest analyzing some of the 'old cures' that still exist? They return proper echoes and might give you a hint of how to proceed.

Another PC had to re-teach mine everything I thought I knew about cures when I came back. And I am /still/ finding stuff out. This was actually really fun to pursue in-game and I am finding the new system has a lot of wiggle room to come up with your own 'zalanthian science' to explain how stuff works now.

'Analyze the tablet' is very hard to express ICly though I do admit. I wish 'taste cure-thing' and 'analyze cure-thing' could return the same result.
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

December 05, 2018, 11:10:56 PM #105 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:56:59 PM by mansa
I wrote a help file:

>help brew

Skill Brew                                                            (Skill)

This skill involves the lore of taking different herbs, and combining
them into a feasible recipe.  The recipes that can be made vary with what
the brewer has to work with.  Adventurers outdoors will find it imperative
to learn how to brew different types of natural antidotes, to combat the
poisons they might face in the wilds, while others may wish to learn how
to make these poisons.

Once some herbs are combined, a unique mash item is produced.  This mash
can be further crafted to take the shape of tablets, combined with a vial,
or eaten directly.

Items classified as herbs will have a color tint when assessed, and a
flavor when tasted.  The taste of the herb will dictate which type of cure
is created, and the color of the herb will determine the color of the mash.

Brewing uses the crafting system.  See >help craft for syntax help. 

Syntax:

>craft (herb1) (herb2) (herb3) into #1

-then-

>craft (mash) into #1
      -or-
   >craft (mash) vial into #1

Examples:

Notes:

When choosing the result, you must use "#1".  It does not work when
using the (result) item short description or keywords.

Brewing two mashes together does not create working recipes.

Analyze a tablet or vial to determine if your character can figure out
the source material used.

Use the pour command to force other characters to drink a vial.  This
is a way to administer the concoction if a victim is asleep, paralyzed,
or subdued.

Delay:
   after

See Also:
cure, craft, poisons, pour
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on December 05, 2018, 11:10:56 PM
Assess a tablet or vial to determine if your character can figure out
the source material used.
This should be analyze, not assess.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

So let me get this straight... if you do not have the crafting skill associated with cures. You have no way to identify tastes or aromas of cures? I've just recently returned and this all seems overwhelming to me to understand.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on February 02, 2019, 12:32:39 PM
So let me get this straight... if you do not have the crafting skill associated with cures. You have no way to identify tastes or aromas of cures? I've just recently returned and this all seems overwhelming to me to understand.

From what other people have told me, yes. Your only hope is to hope the person who made it knows what they are doing or you have an old cure.

That seems like a good thing to me. Plenty of opportunity for people to sell fake cures and thr like.

Tablets seem to weigh 1 stone, need to check what vials weigh, but figure they are about the same.

I think tablets and vials to be weightless or be the same as coins? While I bet zalantian tablets are bigger than normal earth tablet I doubt they weigh more than a knife.

I like the overall system, it adds some depth to the cures, with possible added trust issues. I admit having to keep tablets separate can be annoying but part of the depth. I just don't think there should be encumbrance added for some  tablets you can swallow. 

Poisons have no way of being identified (Brew poisons)
Seems intended, kinda sucks.

assess tablet/vial/goop though?

Quote from: only_plays_tribals on April 03, 2019, 10:38:01 PM
assess tablet/vial/goop though?

100% this works, if your character knows about poisons.
3/21/16 Never Forget

April 03, 2019, 11:48:30 PM #114 Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 11:56:49 PM by Jihelu
Quote from: Cerelum on April 03, 2019, 10:42:45 PM
Quote from: Jihelu on April 03, 2019, 10:22:29 PM
Poisons have no way of being identified (Brew poisons)
Seems intended, kinda sucks.

As far as I was able to gather from playing with the brewing code as it sits.  And using known good cures.  If you assess them they have a taste and the herb is suppose to taste the same way?

I think?  It's about as clear as mud, but I think that's the idea.
Huh?

Are we both talking about the same thing?

I've got: Master brew.

If I make a container of Peraine and I taste it, I only taste ash.

ALL POISONS I have tasted, taste like ash.

The only things that tell me taste, IE: "Cold, Calm, Warm, etc" are cures.

I'm not talking about cures, I'll identify cures for days, I'm talking about

Drink vial;
Your blood begins burning!

I'll even do you one better, here's me assessing/Tasting something /I know/ is a liquid/brew based poison.

(I won't show you me assessing a cure because that would be a spoiler, and yes: I know how to make all of the cure types and I know how to assess herbs)

"taste vial
A tiny glass vial has no discernable taste.

l vial
This tiny bottle is made of clear glass, and holds no more than a scant
measure of liquid.
It is filled with a black liquid.

analyze vial
A tiny glass vial tastes like ash.

assess vial
You assess a tiny glass vial...
...it is primarily made of glass.
...is a form of vial cure. (This one is actually a poison ignore that)
...has a black tint.
...it is very light.
"

Now, I'm not going to waste this stuff. But if I drink it, it'll poison me.

So what this means: Unless you craft all your poisons to a certain color, which is feasible if you have the herbs for it, identifying what poison is what (Non 'poison' skill poisons), is basically impossible. More so than cures.

OR: I'm dumb and the poison skill does this. I don't know, I don't have both. Does it?

I feel like that'd be kinda silly then because, well, the person /made/ the poison. But, if the poison skill does it, that's enough for me.

Poison skill shows poison on tablets/mashes/vials that have been brewed using assess.

Brew skill shows the 'mixture' of the cure using analyze.

If you only have one skill you'll only be able to determine for that one skill.

Quote from: only_plays_tribals on April 04, 2019, 12:01:37 AM
Poison skill shows poison on tablets/mashes/vials that have been brewed using assess.

Brew skill shows the 'mixture' of the cure using analyze.

If you only have one skill you'll only be able to determine for that one skill.

Damn.

I'm glad poison does it but I wish Brew did it for poisons as well. But, it's mostly wanting all my eggs in one basket.

I kind of want the poison skill to be able to show you what the cures are as well Jihelu.

Just as how you're skilled at brewing poisons up you should be able to identify them I think if you're skilled at handling poisons you should be able to identify the cures.  You still won't be able to apply a poison to a knife or make a cure without the appropriate skills but it's odd not knowing which is which when you're skilled in one area.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Roll poison and brew under one 'Apothecary' skill. Better be able to trust your medic.

Quote from: Delirium on April 04, 2019, 02:13:05 AM
Roll poison and brew under one 'Apothecary' skill. Better be able to trust your medic.

I love it. Like Burglar + pickpocket = Miscreant but in a niche skill form.

I always thought it was kinda silly the only people who got poison were certain outdoor/criminal subguilds, and no city.

I'm also pretty sure no city guilds get brew, which is silly because brew is more than just 'make poison/cures' so it basically says no city based herbalists exist in game outside of subguilds. Think of the candle makers!

Quote from: Jihelu on April 04, 2019, 08:59:57 AM

I'm also pretty sure no city guilds get brew, which is silly because brew is more than just 'make poison/cures' so it basically says no city based herbalists exist in game outside of subguilds. Think of the candle makers!

Brew is
Main Class:
Miscreant
Stalker
Pilferer
Adventurer
Fence
Dune Trader
Subclass:
Physician
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: mansa on April 05, 2019, 09:12:21 PM

Brew is
Main Class:
Miscreant
Stalker
Pilferer
Adventurer
Fence
Dune Trader
Subclass:
Physician
Also Apothecary.

Also none of those are city guilds (Classes). So I don't know why you quoted the list TBH

Quote from: Jihelu on April 05, 2019, 10:02:11 PM
Quote from: mansa on April 05, 2019, 09:12:21 PM

Brew is
Main Class:
Miscreant
Stalker
Pilferer
Adventurer
Fence
Dune Trader
Subclass:
Physician
Also Apothecary.

Also none of those are city guilds (Classes). So I don't know why you quoted the list TBH
Miscreant definitely is.

Fugg
I meant like
City
Not, criminal.
(Or whatever the 'right column' classes are called

Fence is too. And though having some low level criminal skills I would not classify it as a criminal class...not even close.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job