Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Arrows are lost at such a prohibitive rate when you are new, and they are so expensive, that I am a bit sad about this change.  Yes, it's silly that using a sling will make you good with a bow, but I always played it as training your hand-eye coordination and suspended my disbelief.  I'm not sure how we can afford training up bowmen without archery targets and slings now!  Well, I guess they will have to postpone archery training until they can afford it.  That makes sense.

i honestly think the archery being split off into different types of weapons is going to be awesome.

I've wanted to have a character that specialized in slings for the longest time, so I'm hoping to see more sling-style weapons come out.

honestly, in general, all of the changes in this new update are pretty exciting to me, to me the changes to brewing seem to be just baby steps towards a more robust system of 'alchemy', and allows for a huge amount of RP potential too.

The more I wrap my head around how this new brewing system will/should work, the more I love its potential.

Excited.

January 21, 2017, 12:14:50 PM #128 Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 02:26:21 AM by Seeker
Quote from: Delirium on January 21, 2017, 02:09:51 AM
The more I wrap my head around how this new brewing system will/should work, the more I love its potential.

Excited.
Bah.  That is just because you have publicly arranged to receive special behind-the-curtain Request Tool instruction in all its subtle intricacies.  Stinker.

What's worse... you are probably playing some flavor of Ranger, too.  *snort*

(the above is intended to be humorous... and spelling error corrected)
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I know you're joking, Peeker... but just in case anyone gets the wrong impression....

Quote from: nessalin on January 21, 2017, 05:30:29 PM
Quote from: ChibiTama on January 20, 2017, 08:55:18 PM
Quote from: nessalin on January 20, 2017, 01:08:41 PM

For existing PCs with high skills we respond via the request tool to help them convert their knowledge of current recipes over to new ones.

What type of request would we submit and does it need to be clanned?

A question request is fine.

It'd be preferable if you include an example of what cures your character already knows how to brew by way of which items you are able to combine into which cures.   

We can provide you with information on how to use craft to make equivalent cures, but aren't going to give all master brewers information about the new system that extends beyond what their character knew in the old one.

I swear it looked more playfully humorous when I typed it last night.
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I thought it was funny.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

I missed that.   That's fucking hilarious!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Hey in case anyone else missed it, there was more updates today:

January, 23rd, 2017

(Nessalin)
-Output when using the 'assess' command on objects has been updated
  -Now displays the material the object is primarily made out of
  -Format updated to (hopefully) be a little cleaner)
  -bow/crossbow/sling/blowgun now say what they are and what kind of ammo they use
  -arrow/bolt/bullet/dart now say that they are ammo and what kind of weapon they need
  -Fixed long standing bug where some skinning weapons would say they were usable for skinning twice
-Added things made from GEM, GLASS, CERAMIC, SALT, and FUNGUS undyeable.

(Nathvaan)
-A great deal of ground work for upcoming projects.

(Akariel, Rathustra)
-Blowgun use, sling use, and crossbow use have been added to primary guild skill trees.  These skills should be added to your character upon logging in if you're supposed to get them.

I'm particularly interested in seeing the assess -v update in action.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 23, 2017, 02:59:06 PM
I'm particularly interested in seeing the assess -v update in action.

It's neat, and definitely adds clarity. I like it. I forsee a lot of typos in the queue in the future!

... the silken thingamajig is primarily made of bone.

Quote from: Refugee on January 20, 2017, 10:51:45 PM
Arrows are lost at such a prohibitive rate when you are new, and they are so expensive, that I am a bit sad about this change.  Yes, it's silly that using a sling will make you good with a bow, but I always played it as training your hand-eye coordination and suspended my disbelief.  I'm not sure how we can afford training up bowmen without archery targets and slings now!  Well, I guess they will have to postpone archery training until they can afford it.  That makes sense.

Training archery with arrows is not cost-prohibitive if you only shoot at things you know you are exceedingly unlikely to hit.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 23, 2017, 10:07:24 PM
Quote from: Refugee on January 20, 2017, 10:51:45 PM

Training archery with arrows is not cost-prohibitive if you only shoot at things you know you are exceedingly unlikely to hit.

I'll make sure to avoid training archery on ya'll's moms.  OOhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

8)
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Archery and brew changes are both awesome.

Brew, while vastly different, seems to be moving in the direction that was asked for in the poisoning discussion from code ideas awhile back.  I like when that happens.   8)
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

(Lyric)
-Submitted several new combat messages that the code can choose from for greater variety.  These are things like kick, bash, backstab, and so on.

:O What is this?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 30, 2017, 01:21:12 PM
(Lyric)
-Submitted several new combat messages that the code can choose from for greater variety.  These are things like kick, bash, backstab, and so on.

:O What is this?

When you use combat skills like bash, kick, backstab there are a set of message for each broken into groups.

3 messages for when you hit, when you miss, when you hit and kill your target.

The three messages per group are
-to attacker
-to victim
-to room

When a message is needed the code randomly selects a group from the list and displays those.  A few of them have two messages, most have only one.   The more that get added the more variety players will see in messages from the game.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Neat. Thank you for the explanation.

Will this affect the ruling that kicks are kicks, and emotes denoting elbows and such should not be used?

Or is that ruling out of date altogether?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

There was a ruling on that? Man I've been breaking the rules for a long time.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 30, 2017, 01:35:22 PM

Ruling might be too strong a word.  But I remember there being a hubbub over it (that maybe went away?) over items that had bonuses to kick skill but weren't used when you emoted other locations.

We were told kicks were kicks.  Perhaps I'm outdated, in which case asking this would be a good thing for me!

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 30, 2017, 01:35:22 PM

If someone reverses your kick, and you emoted it as an elbow, it would look really weird, because the reversal message is always based on the assumption that a kick is, in fact, a kick.

I usually emote after the fact for just such a reason.

My bashes are often headbutts when they land.