Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: Riev on January 20, 2017, 10:57:18 AM
So the eventual idea is to keep a few herbs on hand, and whip up a mash in the moment, for maximum potency. But if you want to have a cure on hand, or need to shove it down someone's throat, vials are superior.

I like it.

Correct.  The right tool for the right job.

Also gives people a reason to have an actual healer along rather than 'healer in a bottle'.  Similar to how potions got out of hand because everyone kept a cache of them in their inventory.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: ChibiTama on January 20, 2017, 10:57:06 AM
I just find it a little bit excessive for someone who has the skill at Master to be failing four out of five on attempts to create mashes and tablets.

I'm still waiting for the code to settle a bit, but the other day when I tried, I found the results delightfully better.  I failed a couple times, but the craft delay is so much smaller than with brew.  From what I could tell, I like it.

That said, I did notice a bug: it only took one herb to make a mash, rather than two.  I'll file it off if it isn't already fixed.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I just assumed it took two mashes to make a vial/tablet and each one of those took one herb, so if you succeeded at both it still took 2 herbs, rather than doubling it to 4 (two per mash). Does it only take 1 mash?
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Quote from: nessalin on January 20, 2017, 11:03:36 AM
So the eventual idea is to keep a few herbs on hand, and whip up a mash in the moment, for maximum potency. But if you want to have a cure on hand, or need to shove it down someone's throat, vials are superior.

I like it.

Also gives people a reason to have an actual healer along rather than 'healer in a bottle'.  Similar to how potions got out of hand because everyone kept a cache of them in their inventory.

While I really like the thinking that's going into this, we should also keep in mind playability and player availability.

Also, are we going to look into the (unrealistic) speed of onset for some of these poisons as a counterbalance?

Quote from: Delirium on January 20, 2017, 11:10:06 AM

I like it.

While I really like the thinking that's going into this, we should also keep in mind playability and player availability.

What Delirium said. Let's not penalize offpeakers without access to healer PCs more.

Quote from: bardlyone on January 20, 2017, 11:09:59 AM
I just assumed it took two mashes to make a vial/tablet and each one of those took one herb, so if you succeeded at both it still took 2 herbs, rather than doubling it to 4 (two per mash). Does it only take 1 mash?

1 mash transforms into 1 tablet
1 mash + 1 empty vial transforms into 1 filled vial

Quote from: Akaramu on January 20, 2017, 11:32:13 AM
Quote from: Delirium on January 20, 2017, 11:10:06 AM

I like it.

What Delirium said. Let's not penalize offpeakers without access to healer PCs more.

These being the reasons why I wasn't fond of food spoilage either, still am not, and am dreading making more things spoil.

If playtimes weren't an issue, that'd be... I guess a whole different game. When I am on, there is usually between 3-9 other players, at the opening and tail end of playtimes, closer to 15.

I have to assume that the game is different and a whole hell of a lot less frustrating when trying to do things that require other people being online when other people talk about making you NEED this or that type of pc around, given that it's usually difficult to find a templar or a gmh employee or other much more game-world-rooted pcs as far as tie ins to the overarching game when I am on. I can't fathom people suggesting you make needing yet other people around who I typically won't find. I can only assume they're playing a different game or part of the influx of 'peak time' players who get the most consideration even though it's the smallest window of playtime in the game. Of COURSE people who play outside the magic window will be frustrated when you design things to that everyone playing during these few hours a day all needs each other for coded rather than RP reasons, because it shafts the people who will never find those pcs, who never log in during those times, but still need to accomplish X, Y, or Z.

Quote from: nessalin on January 20, 2017, 11:34:03 AM
Quote from: bardlyone on January 20, 2017, 11:09:59 AM

1 mash transforms into 1 tablet
1 mash + 1 empty vial transforms into 1 filled vial

This makes the fail rate less galling. Thank you for the info. I like the concept of what this is going to be, but the details are still way too confusing to comment on.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Noted.

Cure/Poison degradation is a ways off.  When the time comes to code up we can look at it taking a long time.  The scenario to avoid is one where a starting player buys a bag of cures and still has them 10ic years later when they eat the wrong mushroom.

Quote from: nessalin on January 20, 2017, 02:36:35 PM

Noted.

Cure/Poison degradation is a ways off.  When the time comes to code up we can look at it taking a long time.  The scenario to avoid is one where a starting player buys a bag of cures and still has them 10ic years later when they eat the wrong mushroom.

Instead of 'spoiling', what if the tablets effectiveness reduced over time? So you still have the tablet, but in that 'moment of truth', whether or not it works is dependent on that. The tablets, as well, aren't Advil or Tyelnol. They're supposed to be dried out herbs made into a mush and set out to dry into 'tablets' that can be taken. So maybe the older they are, the more likely they are to crumble into dust when you get them from your bag/pouch/belt.

I really like the 'Poison Recovery' aspect that was either added in or I didn't notice before, where just because you take a tablet doesn't mean the poison is automatically flushed from your system. It'd be nice if each poison had a different poison recovery effect.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on January 20, 2017, 02:38:54 PM
Instead of 'spoiling', what if the tablets effectiveness reduced over time? So you still have the tablet, but in that 'moment of truth', whether or not it works is dependent on that. The tablets, as well, aren't Advil or Tyelnol. They're supposed to be dried out herbs made into a mush and set out to dry into 'tablets' that can be taken. So maybe the older they are, the more likely they are to crumble into dust when you get them from your bag/pouch/belt.

This was mentioned as a to-do earlier in the thread.  That's precisely what aging of cures would mean.  Although the sdesc updates would give a hint towards how degraded they are.

It would be nice knowing what staff are moving towards here.

Is there a bigger picture?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on January 20, 2017, 03:12:46 PM

I didn't realize you guys know Pepe Sylvia
Where it will go

Quote from: nessalin on January 20, 2017, 03:26:09 PM

lol. That actually made me lose my shit.

But I think the tone of my post was misinterpreted. Are these changes being made in expectation for the main guild overhaul? Are we making them because archery needed a tweak? Or did we just feel archery deserved a broader base of skills. etc. etc. etc. I'm just curious.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on January 20, 2017, 03:45:36 PM
Quote from: nessalin on January 20, 2017, 03:26:09 PM

lol. That actually made me lose my shit.

But I think the tone of my post was misinterpreted. Are these changes being made in expectation for the main guild overhaul? Are we making them because archery needed a tweak? Or did we just feel archery deserved a broader base of skills. etc. etc. etc. I'm just curious.

Or I guess you don't have to answer? Or is there something else I'm missing?

It was a serious question and I'm not liking the way it's being dismissed here.

I'll add that I do think it's cool that you guys are making changes and updates to the way the game works.

Quote from: Jingo on January 20, 2017, 04:11:23 PM

I'll add that I do think it's cool that you guys are making changes and updates to the way the game works.

We rarely make comments on plans because it sets expectations.

Quote from: nessalin on January 20, 2017, 04:29:54 PM
Quote from: Jingo on January 20, 2017, 04:11:23 PM

We rarely make comments on plans because it sets expectations.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Watching the Pepe Silvia clip made me realize Barney has max stealth/hide.

I wish I had the crafting skills to explore additional sling-related items. Maybe next character. I see room for growth in ammunition (clay-forged bullets), staff-slings, slings with additional weight capacity but reduced range, etc.

January 20, 2017, 07:07:00 PM #121 Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:13:44 PM by BadSkeelz
I like the rebranding of Mastercrafts in to Custom Crafts, and the more explicit guidelines for what can be created.

discussion moved to here: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52157.msg976589/boardseen.html#new

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 20, 2017, 05:10:39 PM
Watching the Pepe Silvia clip made me realize Barney has max stealth/hide.

I wish I had the crafting skills to explore additional sling-related items. Maybe next character. I see room for growth in ammunition (clay-forged bullets), staff-slings, slings with additional weight capacity but reduced range, etc.

Half-giant slings with head sized stones as ammunition!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Im pretty sure there was some positive feedback for making archery not include slings because folks were skilling up with slings and then stepping over to a bow without their character having used one extensively enough to translate their gains from using a sling.

I like specializations. If melee weapons had more categories codedly I'd support that too!  :)

Yeah, I'm afraid that was the main reason for sling-use in game. Despite them historically being a pretty fearsome weapon in their own right, they don't have nearly the same utility of bows for range, damage, or poison delivery. Yet.