Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: chrisdcoulombe on January 16, 2017, 03:05:23 PM
Are the new Archery, sling use ect. skills hidden or will they be on our skill list?

I'm really interested in the answer to this. And does the fletchery skill govern the ability to make all of the types of ammo and weapons, or are their associated sling making, blowgun crafting skills? Should I expect to see these skills on my skill list if I previously had archery?
3/21/16 Never Forget

January 16, 2017, 06:27:50 PM #26 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:29:25 PM by Akariel
Reiloth has the right of it re: kagor. You should see minimal change on the race on your side, it was mainly for our purposes (though the skinfile for them and anakore was also updated). The only real change you might notice is their tracks no longer resemble tregil tracks.

January 16, 2017, 06:32:55 PM #27 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:30:26 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I'm loving how such a massive change just gets dropped like that. No half a year announcement, no hints, no blogs. Makes me wonder what kinds of wonders they've got cooking on ... ooph ... everything else.

Quote from: Dar on January 16, 2017, 07:52:51 PM
I'm loving how such a massive change just gets dropped like that. No half a year announcement, no hints, no blogs. Makes me wonder what kinds of wonders they've got cooking on ... ooph ... everything else.

*wiggles eyebrows*

The four skills ('archery', 'blowgun use', 'crossbow use', 'sling use'), should start appearing on guild/subguild trees as the week goes on.

There's code in place (for decades) that ensures any skills that appear on your character's guild/subguild tree that your character doesn't currently have get added at login.

With regards to crafting for arrows, bullets, darts, and bolts - nothing has changed, there.   Bullets can still be foraged/crafted while arrows/bolts/darts can still be crafted off of fletchery.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Did slings get boosted any or are they still kind of gimpy?

Quote from: nessalin on January 16, 2017, 10:18:57 PM
The four skills ('archery', 'blowgun use', 'crossbow use', 'sling use'), should start appearing on guild/subguild trees as the week goes on.

There's code in place (for decades) that ensures any skills that appear on your character's guild/subguild tree that your character doesn't currently have get added at login.

With regards to crafting for arrows, bullets, darts, and bolts - nothing has changed, there.   Bullets can still be foraged/crafted while arrows/bolts/darts can still be crafted off of fletchery.

Will the helpfiles be updated to let us know which guild/subguild gets which skill? Or can you info dump here? Or both?

Thanks Nessalin and Nathvaan for all the hard work. Truly impressive, you are what make this game dynamic and reactive and constantly competing with even the strongest multi-thousand/million dollar games out there.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Are these already in effect? I just tried the whole craft thing with usual cure ingredients and it just didn't work.
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

January 17, 2017, 02:04:54 AM #34 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:09:19 AM by ChibiTama
I also happened to notice that brew is no longer able to produce candles as it was once able. The recipes seem to be completely gone now. Is this intended?
Quote from: AdamBluewear Inix pelvis
You wear a wood-carved inix strap-on on your pelvis.
etwo wood
You reach down and grasp your wood-carved inix strap-on.
kill booty

January 17, 2017, 06:08:26 AM #35 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:15:33 AM by Nathvaan
Quote from: ChibiTama on January 17, 2017, 02:04:54 AM
I also happened to notice that brew is no longer able to produce candles as it was once able. The recipes seem to be completely gone now. Is this intended?

I have tested a few candles and they seem to work just fine.  I think this is likely a one off issue.  Can you please open up a request with logs of what you are trying and we will be glad to have a look.

Quote from: ChibiTama on January 17, 2017, 01:55:07 AM
Are these already in effect? I just tried the whole craft thing with usual cure ingredients and it just didn't work.

Yes, this is already in effect.  Please include specific logs in the request about this as well. We can look at both things at once.

Quote from: Reiloth on January 16, 2017, 10:38:06 PM
Quote from: nessalin on January 16, 2017, 10:18:57 PM

Will the helpfiles be updated to let us know which guild/subguild gets which skill? Or can you info dump here? Or both?

Thanks Nessalin and Nathvaan for all the hard work. Truly impressive, you are what make this game dynamic and reactive and constantly competing with even the strongest multi-thousand/million dollar games out there.

When the skills are in place they will be visible on the skills list, in the help files and likely announced as well (perhaps here or in release notes).  As Nessalin stated they will be added in the coming weeks.

Thank you for the kind words.  We, like everyone, are just passionate about game and use our skills to do what we can to continue to push the game toward a better/more feature rich state.  As to competing with other MMOs, MUDs were here first.  I think they are just competing with us! ;)

Upon giving this change some serious thought, this will really give some serious power to master archery, since it will take a lot more to get it up to the max, I suspect making it much rarer (hopefully) and thus even more intimidating when some rocks up and neck shots your two buddies and asks for your boots.

Having a dedicated slings skill is going to be awesome because Ive actually kind of wondered why it wasnt its own already, its a very different motion to shooting a bow. Maybe it will be used now as an actual weapon, maybe for non lethal things or something. Never been hit with one so I dont know if thats a thing that exists but sweet if it does.

Crafting changes sound awesome and I actually suspect I might enjoy it if/when I eventually get around to rolling up my first ever merchant.

I'm just so excited to see a potential change in crossbows. With no delay on shoot, it'll mean having a one-shot crossbow become so much more exhilarating. Especially because at "close range" they should be quite powerful. Pop a couple "hand crossbows", fire off a couple shots before engaging in the city? Take out an armored soldier? C'mon, guys!

Also dynamic crafting. Oh my god. Still preparing my soul for this.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

January 17, 2017, 10:21:25 AM #39 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:24:07 AM by Sedora
I'm looking forward to all the dyeing. But in light of this update I think staff might want to look into consolidating black dye. Even some longterm players I've met IC don't realize that there are two different blacks that essentially function the same. As a longterm merchant player, though, I know well this anguish.

a packet of bitter black dye - Used in some MCs, but the only cloth it actually dyes is sandcloth.

a package of black dye - Used in some MCs I'm sure, though I haven't found any. Also used to dye linen, cotton and silk.

My main worry here is whether one of the two isn't included in this update. If one didn't, with lots of people not knowing there are two and not stalking the GDB, people might get tricked into thinking black isn't possible cause they bought/crafted the wrong one.

Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the dyes I had prior to the update were turned into a packet of bitter dye. Should I send in a report with a log of that or is it something you guys are aware of?

Very awesome nice!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Sedora on January 17, 2017, 10:21:25 AM
Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the dyes I had prior to the update were turned into a packet of bitter dye. Should I send in a report with a log of that or is it something you guys are aware of?

Wish up asking for a new instance of the object.

Quote from: Sedora on January 17, 2017, 10:21:25 AM
I'm looking forward to all the dyeing. But in light of this update I think staff might want to look into consolidating black dye. Even some longterm players I've met IC don't realize that there are two different blacks that essentially function the same. As a longterm merchant player, though, I know well this anguish.

a packet of bitter black dye - Used in some MCs, but the only cloth it actually dyes is sandcloth.

a package of black dye - Used in some MCs I'm sure, though I haven't found any. Also used to dye linen, cotton and silk.

My main worry here is whether one of the two isn't included in this update. If one didn't, with lots of people not knowing there are two and not stalking the GDB, people might get tricked into thinking black isn't possible cause they bought/crafted the wrong one.

This is the exact scenario the new system should prevent happening in the future.

Both of these will be updated as we go through the database so they can be used with the new dynamic crafting system, which will mean both can be used in dyeing materials.   We won't be keeping only one of them.

Once we've reach a certain point of confidence in the new system we'll be deprecating the old recipes as they're no longer needed.

So exciting! Will this change how MCs work?

NESSALIN IS FIRE

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: Miradus on January 16, 2017, 10:28:25 PM

Did slings get boosted any or are they still kind of gimpy?

Slings are pretty strong.   Not really great for pvp, but not bad for pve. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

The last time I used one, I whacked a tregil 8 times and he didn't go down. I can understand it not bringing down something bigger, but that's like hunting a rabbit ... which is what I'd think slings were good at.

You can kill just about everything with a sling, maybe excluding some of the high stun creatures like a Mek, bahamet. 
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Also, "Sling" and "Slingshot" are very different things.

It could take a while to kill a rabbit with a slingshot.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I can't seem to get the brew crafting working. I'll send in a log once I have a chance to experiment more.

I feel like maybe I'm just doing the syntax wrong. Am I doing the syntax wrong? What should it be?