Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: Lizzie on October 21, 2019, 02:41:59 PM
Sounds like a good change. Will enjoy experimenting!

That cracked me up :)

Quote from: Brokkr on October 15, 2019, 01:24:56 PM
If your target has a faster speed or is running, not so much.

What I've been seeing is that NPCs are walking fast enough to keep up with a running PC or mount and interrupt their movement entirely by initiating combat several rooms later.

Quote from: adri on October 30, 2019, 01:08:39 AM
Quote from: Brokkr on October 15, 2019, 01:24:56 PM
If your target has a faster speed or is running, not so much.

What I've been seeing is that NPCs are walking fast enough to keep up with a running PC or mount and interrupt their movement entirely by initiating combat several rooms later.

Unfortunately, many animals are faster than our mounts, depending on terrain.
Think, a beetle's many legs might be good in the desert, but in rocky hills or uneven terrain, they may suffer speed. Whereas a tembo that has evolved to hunt those lands, can move swiftly.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

October 30, 2019, 09:23:10 AM #1128 Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:24:45 AM by Harmless
I think move regeneration in NPCs could be looked at next.

Now that they move more, they have a big advantage in that NPCs recover stamina while standing and pursuing or fleeing from you.

If they had to sit also to regenerate stamina then they would eventually tire of chasing you or fleeing and give a hunter a chance for a new surprise attack.

Before it didnt matter as they didnt move much, but now they are faster than us and our mounts and they constantly regen stamina also.

Funnily this is how ancient humans hunted as well according to many hypotheses. We wouldn't be faster than them but because humans could jog for miles and sweat to stay cool they eventually caught up to their prey via tracking.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I would take an increase in their movement lag over the stamina thing. Although both would be nice.

More like a chase, less like a homing missile.

Quote from: roughneck on October 30, 2019, 09:25:26 AM
I would take an increase in their movement lag over the stamina thing. Although both would be nice.

More like a chase, less like a homing missile.

Yes. As it stands now, combat with some NPCs is sometimes unavoidable even after you flee. Homing missile indeed.

Thanks for the feedback.  My own experience is that it is still fairly easy to elude pursuit, but I know how it works.  Have you been actively trying to figure it out?  Just wondering if there are a few assumptions here that are getting in the way of survival.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 30, 2019, 11:59:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback.  My own experience is that it is still fairly easy to elude pursuit, but I know how it works.  Have you been actively trying to figure it out?  Just wondering if there are a few assumptions here that are getting in the way of survival.
I have a few examples I could cite, but I submitted them via the request tool to avoid being specific on the GDB.

November 02, 2019, 12:58:59 PM #1133 Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 01:05:48 PM by Greve
My own experience is that it is still fairly easy to elude pursuit, but I know how it works.  Have you been actively trying to figure it out?  Just wondering if there are a few assumptions here that are getting in the way of survival.

Quote from: adri on October 30, 2019, 01:15:57 PM
I have a few examples I could cite, but I submitted them via the request tool to avoid being specific on the GDB.

This seems like the wrong way to solicit feedback. Why not explain how it works? We're not talking about in-game knowledge here, are we? It's a purely code-based change. Should players have to experiment extensively with it before they deserve the right to provide feedback? This is a game where we're punished if caught fucking around with the code in OOC ways. Just say what you've done and ask what we think of it, otherwise you'll get wildly varying reports that depend on the extent to which any given individual has been exposed to the new code.

"Find out IC" should not apply to this kind of thing. The behavior of animals has not changed overnight from an IC perspective. Characters should not have to rediscover hunting practises.

My experience so far is if you don't have good ride and are just starting there is zero delay on a few of the mobs chasing you and they are faster then war beetles for sure, if they hit you, you will fall off and die. all the change did was make survival stupid for new characters and also forced them to find a way to twink or spar before actually going outside because they can no longer get away if the gates are closed.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

November 03, 2019, 11:05:52 PM #1135 Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 11:08:39 PM by Harmless
i bet the mobs work off a line of sight code. they can see you two rooms away they will pursue. if you break their line of sight by moving perpendicular as soon as you can the LOS is broken. then you need to get enough distance to resume fleeing without giving them back LOS.

maybe?

don't trust me, I haven't tested it at all. But since staff aren't talking, I should be allowed to start guessing, right?

this would be vicious in many areas with chokepoints that are 1, 2 or 3 rooms wide even i would guess.

but I am totally guessing here
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I would also like to put this out there, but animals that have been shot at some point will follow sneaking people. Even If they cannot see them, a scrab for example will follow regardless of whether or not their target is visible to them.

Quote from: Greve on November 02, 2019, 12:58:59 PM
My own experience is that it is still fairly easy to elude pursuit, but I know how it works.  Have you been actively trying to figure it out?  Just wondering if there are a few assumptions here that are getting in the way of survival.

Quote from: adri on October 30, 2019, 01:15:57 PM

This seems like the wrong way to solicit feedback. Why not explain how it works? We're not talking about in-game knowledge here, are we? It's a purely code-based change. Should players have to experiment extensively with it before they deserve the right to provide feedback? This is a game where we're punished if caught fucking around with the code in OOC ways. Just say what you've done and ask what we think of it, otherwise you'll get wildly varying reports that depend on the extent to which any given individual has been exposed to the new code.

"Find out IC" should not apply to this kind of thing. The behavior of animals has not changed overnight from an IC perspective. Characters should not have to rediscover hunting practises.

I agree with you... and at the same time I want to find out for myself.  I don't want to be told one thing or another to make it easier the next time I venture out.   It should be dangerous, every time. 

Remember the first time you walked out those gates? had a look around and thought "oh it looks fine" only to run screaming back with your finest shitting pants on.   Those were iconic times  :D  Wouldn't miss it for the world!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote-Updated logic so non-humanoids will no longer try to wield items that end up in
  their inventory

You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Mobs benefit from skills the same way PCs do, which means a mob with hunt is able to use hunt to track a target.

Probably fair to debate the implementation of this. I nearly lost an ATV PC on numerous occasions to a certain wild critter that follow me 20 rooms into the camp, past the guards, and attack while sleeping.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

These big fixes look spectacular one in particular was really bothering me. Thanks!!!
3/21/16 Never Forget

I know this is oldish news, but I just wanted to say:
Quote-Damage taken by characters now creates a wound on the character that represents the kind of damage that dealt the wound.
-When the code does not have information about the type of damage dealt the would is described simply as a 'wound'.
-Wounds have words describing how much damage the wound currently accounts for.
-As characters regain hit points their wounds go down in value and become less severe.
-Wounds on a character can be viewed with the assess command using the verbose option
  -assess -v <character>
  -Only the top 5 wounds will be displayed
-When a character is fully healed all remaining wounds will be removed.
-When a character dies the corpse that results will have all of the characters woulds transferred to it.
  The top 5 wounds can be viewed by looking at the wounds.
  -look corpse's wounds
-Ldescs now display 'wounded' instead of 'bleeding' to make it a bit more generic.
THis new code is awesome and I really appreciate it. It takes what I use to roleplay and provides coded support for it to help guide my RP.

Very awesome!

From Discord:

Nessalin Dec/24/2019 at 10:32 AM
Game uptime should now appear on the armageddon home page below server time / local time.

Woo!  No longer having to go to old.armageddon.org to check the uptime.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Awwww... no more scrabs wielding scrab claws. Gone the way of BANZAI! To the rescue! and the consider command.

In Response to

Another random update:

- Roughly 400 jewellery updates/crafts and or fixes added.
- Roughly 1400 worn items updated.
- Roughly 400 "treasure" items updated.

Further, an assortment of shop merchants are under going changes. Certain NPCs have been buying or not buying things they should or shouldn't. For example, a certain Kadian shop didn't by anything in a certain location - They now buy clothing/jewellery, etc. On the opposite end of the spectrum, no - the food vendor will not longer buy jewellery or furniture.

Just Outstanding!  (huge applause!)  Big Kudos to anyone involved in these overhauls, this is not small work and I seriously appreciate every bit of what you've done here.  Realistic quality of life improoooovement %100!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Everything Perfecto said.

Also

QuoteAny pie lovers? All fruits now able to be baked/cooked and then sliced (open).
--Emme

YeeeEEEeeEeeeeEeee
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Holy cats. Carts! OMG!
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

March 02, 2020, 11:41:07 AM #1147 Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:39:16 PM by mansa
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1043461.html#msg1043461

Carts!

Question:
If the mounts pull the cart - how do I tell the mounts to rest when they run out of movement points?
   Would I need to unharness them and then make them rest manually?

QuoteRathustra Today at 12:44 PM
@mansa To rest the train of a cart you need to unharness them and make them rest.

New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

How do you store a cart? Just leave it in the wagon yard and hope no one comes by and takes it?

Utep's Teeth! Everything I've ever known just exploded inside my head and left a big bloody mess. This is the best thing since sliced fruit.

CARTS! CARTS! CARTS!
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.