Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: Brokkr on October 15, 2019, 01:24:56 PM
Like anything, we'll continue to monitor the results of the change.  I'm actually surprised at comments around critters like tandu, as the change makes them much easier to kill, albeit not with arrows.

I was just using tandu as an example of a creature typically easy to kill.  You also have to remember there are a high volume of tandu where they usually hang out.  So if one is besting you - you flee.  You could flee in a square with two others adjacent.  Meaning you couldn't fight one tandu, now you have three.  So let's say you flee.  Now you have THREE tandu following you as far as 30 squares.  If you don't have good ride, trying to sheath or change hands with your weapon, trying to mount, not get thrown and flee so you don't lose more stamina is a total cluster fuck.

I am all for making some critters harder so they can't be hunted like idiots and skinned for the most lethal poisons in the game but hunters have to start somewhere.  And now effectively every single creature in the game has stalk.  Accept its worse than stalk because there's no hunting delay they're just on your ASS.

It may seem funny, but when you're training if you start getting chased down by 3 tandu, or even one bamuk or something it can really wreck your shit to say nothing of if say a gizhat or kylori or something starts to chase you until you actually can't run anymore.

Peraine change should also apply to heramide, IMO. It's 'easier' to obtain and is arguably just as deadly.

I think it should just be all harvested (raw) poisons.

Gotta use it to lose it.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Cabooze on October 15, 2019, 05:10:45 PM
Peraine change should also apply to heramide, IMO. It's 'easier' to obtain and is arguably just as deadly.

Reach out to me directly if your experience is recent.  It should be as hard/harder to obtain for the last year or so.  Just like any of them obtained for awhile now should decay.

Just want to say, I am really happy perraine items now decay.

QuoteLike anything, we'll continue to monitor the results of the change.  I'm actually surprised at comments around critters like tandu, as the change makes them much easier to kill, albeit not with arrows.

The funny part of that is, I thought of it the moment I had a certain creature charge me. And my first thought was "Wow, what a twinky way to bring animals into melee range."
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: Bebop on October 15, 2019, 08:22:06 PM
Just want to say, I am really happy perraine items now decay.
I hope it works out better.  It might just give more exclusive power to the few players who both know how and where to harvest and who currently have PCs or friends of their PCs who can manage it.

Maybe with this change, which will definitely increase "in-hand" rarity, there might be a chance of additional sources that are {only outside someplace}{only in that/those geographic regions} that require {only those particular skillsets but not these}.

Myself have been feeling poisons was just flooding in game.  Everyone and their cousins had deadly poisons on them and in bulky! Statement is just how felt, not saying it was.
Just having fun.

I wonder if we'll see poison spoilage next? That'd be a neat pairing.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

To me, it makes sense that an organic source of poison (glands, leaves, etc) should decay at some point, and hopefully so will the poison left on blades.

If you're going to poison a blade, its because you plan on USING it soon. Why would you poison a blade and expect it to be just as deadly a year later?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on October 16, 2019, 09:09:47 AM
To me, it makes sense that an organic source of poison (glands, leaves, etc) should decay at some point, and hopefully so will the poison left on blades.

If you're going to poison a blade, its because you plan on USING it soon. Why would you poison a blade and expect it to be just as deadly a year later?

I think the blade decay is the current state. Raw poison spoilage (I don't believe) is a thing yet. Would be cool though. Then you wouldn't have Guildees with 40 Large worth of leaves and glands sitting in a back room. Well... not for long at least. That said, I realize it isn't the thread to suggest things so I'm excited to see how things manifest IG.

Raw poison spoilage is what I was talking about.  Causing poison to wear off a blade would require not inconsequential code.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 16, 2019, 01:27:09 PM
Raw poison spoilage is what I was talking about.  Causing poison to wear off a blade would require not inconsequential code.

Oh! Neat.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 16, 2019, 01:27:09 PM

Brokkr,

If I poison a weapon today, then use it in an ic year from now, will it still be as potent or was there a code change to affect the application rate of poisoned weapons over time?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

This is really a place to talk about announced code changes.

Not where we are going to talk about what we plan for the future.
Not where you ask for future, non-related code features.
Not the place to ask about what you may think are unannounced code changes.

Just to be clear on what this thread is for to avoid cluttering it up.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 16, 2019, 05:35:31 PM
Just to be clear on what this thread is for to avoid cluttering it up.

I created it! You stole my child! Gubbament came and took mah baby.

On topic: I like the current poison changes, and it will be interesting to see how they play out. With the stats that Miscreant and Stalker are the top played guilds, both get poison skill, and poisons are (supposedly) less easy to find in general, maybe this will make death by poison rare and "oh wow I really made someone mad" instead of "well, that random elf who has no political or social ties just has the most deadly poisons for fun".

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Regarding poison changes, spice decay, etc. While it is vital for all of that to be in. I agree that someone joining a clan that no one has been in and finding 50 insta kill poisons stockpiled is kind of bonkers.

But when deciding on timers, please consider the lengths. If they are so short as to invalidate them completely to people who play intermittently, I think it will be unfair to those players.

Consider this. A craftsman aide hires a grebber to procure a heramide object for them, so he can kill some other side.

The grebber gets the leaf, but spends 3 RL days trying to match playtime with the aide.

Finally the aide gets the poison and then spends another 3 days to match the victim aide+assassin friend who can do the poisoning.

So the object needs to not decay for 6 days. And 3 RL days wait times are nothing, sometime it takes weeks. We are all busy IRL.

So if the object decays faster then that, then the whole aspect of poisons is no longer a factor in the gameplay of a percentage of the playerbase. In my opinion, that would be worse for the game, then better.

But if you make the decay rate something like 2 RL months. Then sure, whatever. It'll prevent stockpiling "and" keep it useable for the casuals.

October 18, 2019, 05:38:21 PM #1117 Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 05:40:38 PM by Brokkr
I can't tell you how fast it will decay in RL time because I don't know how much RL time the item will have spent IG.

Also I made it a bit random.

Let's just say I am aware of those logistics problems and made it last long enough it shouldn't be an issue.  While stockpiling it in a save room won't work very effectively.  Also, if you are paying attention you will be aware you are going to loose it.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 18, 2019, 05:38:21 PM
I can't tell you how fast it will decay in RL time because I don't know how much RL time the item will have spent IG.

Also I made it a bit random.

Let's just say I am aware of those logistics problems and made it last long enough it shouldn't be an issue.  While stockpiling it in a save room won't work very effectively.  Also, if you are paying attention you will be aware you are going to loose it.

Are the current methods to slow decay viable methods to slow it here? I can think or reasons both for and against why you should refrigerate your poisons.

No objects you can put it in to slow decay.

It'd make for a creepy secondary spell for Vivadu or Nilaz, where they could put food/poisons/spice in stasis. For Vivadu, it would be on magical ice, for Nilaz, in a perpetual state of non-existence.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Quote from: Veselka on October 19, 2019, 01:30:03 AM
It'd make for a creepy secondary spell for Vivadu or Nilaz, where they could put food/poisons/spice in stasis. For Vivadu, it would be on magical ice, for Nilaz, in a perpetual state of non-existence.

*You take a frosty kalan fruit from your pack, offering it towards your favorite templar*

BEEP

Welcome to Armageddon....

Jokes aside this is for the best,  folks have been stock-piling death-notes for a long time.  This will urge everyone to -play- the cards in their hands when they have a good set.   ::)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

New NPC changes verses ranged...so far seems cool.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote-Changed how NPCs react to being shot depending on...
  -how wounded they are
  -if they are set as aggressive
  -if they are an intelligent race.

Sounds like a good change. Will enjoy experimenting!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.