Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,49825.msg1037544.html#msg1037544
-Damage taken by characters now creates a wound on the character that represents the kind of damage that dealt the wound.
-When the code does not have information about the type of damage dealt the would is described simply as a 'wound'.
-Wounds have words describing how much damage the wound currently accounts for.
-As characters regain hit points their wounds go down in value and become less severe.
-Wounds on a character can be viewed with the assess command using the verbose option
  -assess -v <character>
  -Only the top 5 wounds will be displayed
-When a character is fully healed all remaining wounds will be removed.
-When a character dies the corpse that results will have all of the characters woulds transferred to it.
  The top 5 wounds can be viewed by looking at the wounds.
  -look corpse's wounds
-Ldescs now display 'wounded' instead of 'bleeding' to make it a bit more generic.

http://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Wounds

holy shit
Excited to see how this goes.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

This sounds amazing!!  I don't currently have a PC but I feel like making one just so I can get wounded.  :-p
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: Medena on September 16, 2019, 01:29:15 PM

This sounds amazing!!  I don't currently have a PC but I feel like making one just so I can get wounded.  :-p

This is awesome! It makes investigating PC death via wound type a possibility now without staff intervention!
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Seriously Freakin' awesome update! Can't wait to see it for myself.. heck, might go kill a bunch of people right now!  ;D
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Wow!  What a neat addition.  Will be great for "healer-type" rp.
Labor omnia vincit - "(Hard) work conquers all."

September 16, 2019, 04:35:39 PM #1005 Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:39:16 PM by Hauwke
Can't wait for my PC to get their face smashed in!

Edit: After seeing it in action, super cool. I like it.

I heart you staff!
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

This is a great addition!
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

It does seem like any 'wound' type (puncture, bruise, etc) at the moment also makes a "wound" [generic] in the same area, meaning that the top 5 worst wounds shown are actually the top... 2? 3? Because "a worrying puncture" on the chest will also have "a worrying wound" on the next/prior line.

Not sure if this is intentional or not.

Otherwise, good addition. :)
Lizard time.

I think special priority should be put on the 'fatal blow', and maybe give a use for 'assess' as a skill. 'You realize that the fatal wound was likely the stab to the back.'

Quote from: AdamBlue on September 17, 2019, 04:08:53 AM
I think special priority should be put on the 'fatal blow', and maybe give a use for 'assess' as a skill. 'You realize that the fatal wound was likely the stab to the back.'

Idea:

Messing with Assess and making it an actual skill rather than an input function might be fussy.
To tell how someone died in D&D, you usually use the Heal skill, if it's a bit vague.

Why not tie "fatal blow" determination to the Bandage skill, which is the closest we have to Heal? It'd work the same as a few other functions unlocked by high-levelled other skills, and give medics a fun social role other than just tossing out tablets and sitting in the backlines.

So anyone can see "mm, he took a big bash to the head and a jab to the neck, yadda yadda" but only your local medic can determine "yep, the thing that killed him was the bash to the head - so I'd assume the jab was probably with a poisoned knife."
Lizard time.

Quote from: MatisseOrOtherwise on September 16, 2019, 07:35:08 PM
It does seem like any 'wound' type (puncture, bruise, etc) at the moment also makes a "wound" [generic] in the same area, meaning that the top 5 worst wounds shown are actually the top... 2? 3? Because "a worrying puncture" on the chest will also have "a worrying wound" on the next/prior line.

Not sure if this is intentional or not.

Otherwise, good addition. :)

This was going to be my feedback. I hit something in the "tail" location, and only that location, and they had a waist wound (assuming waist is the restrung tail) AND a body wound. While it makes some sort of sense, they were only hit once.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Double wound issue and some other bugs will be addressed next reboot.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Loving the wound code. Makes for much better RP. Well done team!
Free your hate.

Does getting hit on an area that is already wounded cause extra damage?
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Krath on September 18, 2019, 04:14:35 PM

It does not.  That is not to say it won't in the future.  As with all new features the development is iterative.  When all bugs are worked out for the current iteration we will look into expanding the features as time permits.  This kind of thing, among others, might be included in the future.

Quote from: Nathvaan on September 19, 2019, 05:56:53 AM
Quote from: Krath on September 18, 2019, 04:14:35 PM

It does not.  That is not to say it won't in the future.  As with all new features the development is iterative.  When all bugs are worked out for the current iteration we will look into expanding the features as time permits.  This kind of thing, among others, might be included in the future.

Hauwke-y like-y.

Imagine if you could wound something til it came off. Like if the dmg to the limb is greater than total hitpoints or something like that.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 19, 2019, 03:19:01 PM
Imagine if you could wound something til it came off. Like if the dmg to the limb is greater than total hitpoints or something like that.

Only if I were given an "aim head/arm/torso/legs" option to specifically focus on obliterating your limbs.

I'm already digging the implications of knowing HOW something was killed. Even if its just "Someone with a longblade" or "some drunken idiot in a fist fight"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I really wouldn't like wounded areas causing extra damage if hit again. At least, not if it was major.
A minor bonus would be fine, but having to track your own wounds or be critted by a rat bite that'd usually bounce off would be annoying. Plus make sparring weird.

A 10% bonus would be fine. A 50% or double etc would be hell, and make combat way more RNG, please no.
Lizard time.

I've been away from Arm for over a year now, and just restarted this week, and the first thing I noticed, of course, is the huge amount of changes that have been introduced.

We do have the Release Notes post, that gives updates as they go in, periodically, but I was thinking if it'd be possible to have two master lists (lets call them IC Change Log and OOC Change Log) - which list all of the changes that have gone in over the years, for players to see at one glance.

For example, the IC Change Log could be along the lines of:
Date - Clan XYZ closed for play.
Date - Clan XYZ reopened for play.
Date - Clan ABC permanently removed from play.
Date - Clan JKL made virtual.
Date - Tuluk closed for play.

And, similarly, the OOC Change Log could be along the lines of:
Date - Changes to skill XYZ - Details
Date - Changes to Guild X - Details
Date - Guild Y removed.
Date - ESG H/I/J added instead of Guild Y.
Date - Bug so and so quashed - Details.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that Staff has this recorded somewhere (possibly in different listings), so yeah, it will require someone from Staff to volunteer to do it..... but the upside would be that any returning players would be able to get an up-to-date scenario of where the game currently is, vis-a-vis when they'd left. Although, I will say, it'd be really cool to go through the entire list and see how the game has changed over the years, both ICLY and OOCLY.

It's just a suggestion - I know I definitely should not expect it to happen anytime soon, nor is it fair to return to the game after a long hiatus and immediately ask for someone else to do something :) So maybe someone could consider it as a project for when they've got some extra free time on hand?

In any case, it's always great to come back to Arm, and it's always daunting to take in all the changes and get reacclimatized with the game and the World!
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

>threaten bluff

I didn't know how much I actually wanted this.  Thanks Brokkr and Nessalin!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

>Raised age of adulthood from 13 to 16

Meh, I don't really feel strongly about this because I never play PCs that young, but I don't know why this was necessary.

During the time periods of earth that most align with the development in arm, people often married in their early teens, and kings were considered "men", able to rule without a regent at 13. This change just feels like another surrender to modern PC culture, when we're playing a game based on a place and time that shouldn't reflect that culture.
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.