Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on April 17, 2019, 03:02:46 PM
So would you say this is closer in cleaning up and continuing the meatcraft/hunting stuff as opposed to changing something among the PC races?

I maintain my question, Brokkr. I think I see what you mean, as in every Tembo, Rantarri, and salt-demon is an NPC. Could you please expand on what direction this tool change will likely be taken or allow for, in regards to the playerbase?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Sounds like it's just general upgrading to make it easier when new races are requested. If you recall, we had some release notes about new races not too long ago. Now the builders can add in custom races with custom skinning tables on their own without resorting to anything but some quick SQL changes.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on April 17, 2019, 03:18:30 PM
Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on April 17, 2019, 03:02:46 PM
So would you say this is closer in cleaning up and continuing the meatcraft/hunting stuff as opposed to changing something among the PC races?

I maintain my question, Brokkr. I think I see what you mean, as in every Tembo, Rantarri, and salt-demon is an NPC. Could you please expand on what direction this tool change will likely be taken or allow for, in regards to the playerbase?

Old diku code had the variables of races hard coded.
If you wanted to add or change, you had to shut down and manually change the code.  If you change the code, you can potentially make loads of bugs and errors.

If it isn't in the code but in an external database, you could make changes and additions on the fly and it allows more flexibility.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

April 17, 2019, 03:53:31 PM #953 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:55:02 PM by gotdamnmiracle
I get it. I'm asking what we intend to do with it. It sounds really useful for a few past projects in particular.

My guess, it was a thing on someone's to-do list forever. And they got it done.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on April 17, 2019, 03:53:31 PM
I get it. I'm asking what we intend to do with it. It sounds really useful for a few past projects in particular.

I feel like you're asking "why did you upgrade to Windows 10? What do you intend to do with it?"

My guess, it's a change in methods in order to reduce any bugs that may occur if there is a need to update race parameters.

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

April 17, 2019, 05:13:41 PM #956 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:24:32 PM by gotdamnmiracle
Thanks for the reminder to use the Ask The Staff thread.

We continue to work toward migrating all legacy DIKU flat file structures to a database.  There are a number of valuable things this allows us to do including being able to fix errors on the fly without a reboot when they are data issues.  It also allows us versatility in how we approach new features in the future when we are decoupled from limitations around flat files and flat file formatting.

Basically, think of it as continued slow and laborious work toward future-proofing the game.

Quote from: Nathvaan on April 26, 2019, 02:42:22 PM

We continue to work toward migrating all legacy DIKU flat file structures to a database.  There are a number of valuable things this allows us to do including being able to fix errors on the fly without a reboot when they are data issues.  It also allows us versatility in how we approach new features in the future when we are decoupled from limitations around flat files and flat file formatting.

Basically, think of it as continued slow and laborious work toward future-proofing the game.

Appreciated. That's exactly what I was looking for.

> assess sunslits
You assess a pair of staff sunslits...
...it is primarily made of wood.
...can be worn in one's hair.
...can be worn on the eyes.
...looks like it will fit you.
...will protect your vision when worn over your eyes.
...it is very light.

This is a great change and I would really love to see this for all gear that improves skill because it isn't always easy to tell and it feels OOC knowledge rather than IC.

Maybe tied in with value skill or if you have the skill itself. Not sure if all skill improving are standardize but if not maybe with an adjective to tell how much it improves something by such as a little/noticeably/greatly

Coders are fucking killing it.  Fuck yeah!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

April 29, 2019, 11:24:19 AM #961 Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:04:28 AM by John
I always thought sunslits* provided a bonus to direction sense full stop. I've only ever seen direction sense used in a sandstorm.

Is that what this assess is talking about? Or is there sunlight damage we are all suffering that I've been oblivious to?

*sandslits? My original post got auto corrected and now I'm confused.

Quote from: Cerelum on May 01, 2019, 08:38:55 AMMy fear just from seeing how I've had to run all over town and sell things to various vendors or do the buy something useful sell something barter method when they are out of coins is that we are going to have folks who are picking subguilds or even mainguilds simply to game the system in regards to cash flush business.
This has always been the case. I remember my first merchant who made it big was selling salt to an NPC that was massively being overlooked at the time to pretty decent profit (this was before the jal salt yards were introduced or other changes to the forage command). A few years back no-one was making bandages so I started turning a decent profit on those and then a few weeks later Lo and behold I've got other crafters muscling in on my NPCs.

These things come in cycles and in my experience are largely self correcting.

As for things being hard to find: it was a problem in the old system. I don't know how many characters I've hard who would give up their kingdom for either a set of lock picks or a mortar and pestle. I doubt the new system will change that. In fact, under serviced crafts could be a gold mine waiting for the right PC with coins persisting between reboots, thus making even this problem self correcting (where before it wasn't).

But I am glad to see what people's experiences are.

Lol

...is poison!

The ! makes it feel like I need to get excited
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

These changes lately are just amazing.

Quote from: only_plays_tribals on May 09, 2019, 09:14:47 AM
Lol

...is poison!

Especially when you realize this pile of dung... is poison!

Quote from: Namino on May 09, 2019, 09:33:20 AM
Lol

...is poison!

LOL
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Quote from: Namino on May 09, 2019, 09:33:20 AM
Lol

...is poison!

Think Jimmy thinks he's gonna steal my girl!?
Hold dung
Poison throwing
You coat the knife with shit.
(Travel spam)
Throw knife jimmy e
(Travel spam)
(Later that day)
Tressy tressy aide says, "Did you hear Jimmy was hit my a throwing knife smeared in shit?  It ruined his shirt! But he's fine.
Think FAILED AGAIN!

"-Exits can now be set to represent ladders, which require at least one free hand to pass up/down through,
  although two free hands make the travel faster."

So, I can still climb the shield wall with my hands full but not up the storm's eye tavern?

Or is "ladder" here just a label, and even any "steep" room like the shield wall climbable rooms would be made to have "ladder" exits?

Quote from: oggotale on June 05, 2019, 05:46:56 AM
"-Exits can now be set to represent ladders, which require at least one free hand to pass up/down through,
  although two free hands make the travel faster."

So, I can still climb the shield wall with my hands full but not up the storm's eye tavern?

Or is "ladder" here just a label, and even any "steep" room like the shield wall climbable rooms would be made to have "ladder" exits?

I imagine you can try to climb the shield wall if you have your hands full and the climb skill (which already penalizes you for having items in your hands), but you can climb ladders without the use of any skill.  So probably no to the second question.

Though if you hard-coded can't climb ladders with items in both hands, maybe dependent on a climb check, that does seem like an oversight.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

-Soldiers now more selective about who they consider a criminal based on race and race-type.

Ooooooooo

Quote from: mansa on June 25, 2019, 12:12:57 PM
-Soldiers now more selective about who they consider a criminal based on race and race-type.

Ooooooooo

The massive, scar faced half giant attempts unlatch the pretty noble lady'sbackpack.

An Allanaki soldier gulps nervously.

Quote from: Namino on June 25, 2019, 12:21:51 PM
Quote from: mansa on June 25, 2019, 12:12:57 PM

Ooooooooo

The massive, scar faced half giant attempts unlatch the pretty noble lady'sbackpack.

An Allanaki soldier gulps nervously.

Creatures also have races.

This probably means they won't hop to it and launch assaults on rats when PCs attack them, if I was to guess.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 25, 2019, 12:53:25 PM
This probably means they won't hop to it and launch assaults on rats when PCs attack them, if I was to guess.

But soldier-assisted rat slaying is my PC's only source of protein. :(
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

But watching soldiers gang pile rats when I failed to subdue and pitch them out of the tavern was my favorite Arm thing.

You attempt to grab a filthy grey rat, but it wrestles away.
A filthy grey rat bites at you, but you dodge out of the way.

129/129h 23/129m 120/120st| easily manageable | walking | unarmed | late afternoon Ocandra

A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.
A Kuraci regular viciously stabs a filthy grey rat on its head.
A filthy grey rat reels from a Kuraci regular's blow.
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its hindleg.
A Kuraci regular stabs a filthy grey rat's tail, connecting hard.
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.
A Kuraci regular lightly stabs a filthy grey rat's hindleg.
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular solidly slashes a filthy grey rat's foreleg.
A filthy grey rat crumples to the ground.
A Kuraci regular brutally stabs a filthy grey rat on its back.

129/129h 23/129m 120/120st| easily

BAD MOVE, FOOL!