Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

I can foresee people losing ability to hear things during powerful enough storms, while people with listen still able to figure things out.

I was sort of meaning to take a break, but reading the last two pages has got me excited.

I am not confused because I sort of assume that the new listen skills will fall conveniently into place under the new skills system, much like riposte and hack will.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I like Dar's idea, but I say take it a step further and make it so you have to shout in sandstorms to be heard, and even then only in the same room. The listen skill could give you a chance of hearing normal volume speech in the same room or shouts in the next room, but whispering and all that is out.

Quote from: sleepyhead on June 11, 2018, 10:00:33 AM
I like Dar's idea, but I say take it a step further and make it so you have to shout in sandstorms to be heard, and even then only in the same room. The listen skill could give you a chance of hearing normal volume speech in the same room or shouts in the next room, but whispering and all that is out.
+1
-Stoa

Latest release changes listen so wind speed reduces ability, does not block it.  Thanks for the feedback.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

I love the fact that this factors into listen, but I haven't tested it!

Quote from: nessalin on June 18, 2018, 12:24:23 PM
Latest release changes listen so wind speed reduces ability, does not block it.  Thanks for the feedback.

This is awesome. I can't wait to check it out.

Not sure if this is the best place to discuss, but oh my, I'm loving the help file for Adventurer. "Help Adventurer" and "help adventurer branching" together let me know exactly what I'm going to get from the class.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on June 19, 2018, 01:08:03 PM
Not sure if this is the best place to discuss, but oh my, I'm loving the help file for Adventurer. "Help Adventurer" and "help adventurer branching" together let me know exactly what I'm going to get from the class.

This post actually prompted me to look at the files. Let me just say:

YAAAAS!

Love it! Dunno if this is currently being done, but mage subguild branching info would be useful too.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

Not really the place, but there is a plan to have a place soonish (next couple of weeks).

There are no plans to make magick any less mysterious.

Will city / desert elves still be restricted to certain classes in the new system?

Quote from: KankWhisperer on June 21, 2018, 03:37:00 PM
Will city / desert elves still be restricted to certain classes in the new system?
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: KankWhisperer on June 21, 2018, 03:37:00 PM

I believe someone said
Criminal is City Elf
Wilderness is Desert Elf
General/City is Both.

Don't quote me on it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

July 03, 2018, 10:05:07 AM #663 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:23:54 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on July 03, 2018, 10:05:07 AM
I'm so glad the new classes are live!

I noticed the CGPs are working now. I noticed I have less options now and I was wondering where I can learn more about how CGPs take to regenerate.

Thanks!

It is described in this staff announcement:

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52604.0.html

Examples:

• Player has 3/3 karma, uses 3 for a mul now they have 0/3.  30d they move to 1/3 karma. 45 days later 2/3 and then 45 days more 3/3 for a Total of 4 months.
  • Player has 2/2 karma, uses 1 and now has 1/2.  30 days later they get that one back.
  • Player has 3/3 karma, uses 2 and now has 1/3.  Normally they would recoup 1 and 30d and one at 45 d.  But let's say this player has a character die after a couple weeks.  Now they are at 1/3.  If they spend that one, now they are 0/3 so the first point will take 30 days to regen and another 45d on the next point.

With the GCP functioning and the new classes in, when can we expect karma reviews to open up?
3/21/16 Never Forget

My excitement and enthusiasm for the new classes (which is substantial) is matched only by my disappointment at the custom crafting changes. I just hope you guys will at least consider finding a way for magickers to CC in the future, because I feel like this is a big step back for making magick more interesting than just a bunch of coded spells. I know you felt it was rarely used, but magickers being able to CC opened the door for a lot more ritualistic/superstitious elements. I also get that this is supposed to encourage people to work together, but that's hard for gickers, especially when the crafts they want done are weird or esoteric in some way.

I know I've made this my pet issue and ranted extensively about it, but this is probably the last I'll bother complaining about it on the GDB. It's done and decided, and it was done and decided, it seems, long before I learned about it. I'm just holding out hope that you will keep your minds open to broadening who can CC a bit after you get a bit more data from the changes.

Mad props. I'm anxious to try these out.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Nathvaan on July 03, 2018, 10:10:06 AM
Quote from: Molten Heart on July 03, 2018, 10:05:07 AM
I'm so glad the new classes are live!

I noticed the CGPs are working now. I noticed I have less options now and I was wondering where I can learn more about how CGPs take to regenerate.

Thanks!

It is described in this staff announcement:

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52604.0.html

Examples:

• Player has 3/3 karma, uses 3 for a mul now they have 0/3.  30d they move to 1/3 karma. 45 days later 2/3 and then 45 days more 3/3 for a Total of 4 months.
  • Player has 2/2 karma, uses 1 and now has 1/2.  30 days later they get that one back.
  • Player has 3/3 karma, uses 2 and now has 1/3.  Normally they would recoup 1 and 30d and one at 45 d.  But let's say this player has a character die after a couple weeks.  Now they are at 1/3.  If they spend that one, now they are 0/3 so the first point will take 30 days to regen and another 45d on the next point.

More news from Discord:
QuoteNathvaan - Today at 10:38 AM
If you have 3 karma you could choose a desert elf wind travel (4 karma total) because it only looks at the highest karma option to decide how much karma it 'costs'.
Riev, the Rimbly Jimbles - Today at 10:39 AM
So. Simply.
"Karma options are not additive/cumulative"?
Nathvaan - Today at 10:40 AM
Correct.  It's not CGP.  We went a slightly different route when implementing.
Riev, the Rimbly Jimbles - Today at 10:41 AM
Thank you for not just linking me to help CGP or something like that. I don't know what help file would contain that information, but I assume thats not public knowledge?
Nathvaan - Today at 10:44 AM
It should be but it's probably not clear.  I'll work on that to make sure it's transparent.
audi - Today at 10:45 AM
FYI, you probably should just delete 'help cgp' (and the links to it) since that's confusing and cut-and-paste the stuff in the gdb link you gave me into 'help karma'; should cover your bases.
Nathvaan - Today at 10:46 AM
@audi Yeah, agreed.  That's part of what we will do when trying to make sure all this is transparent... cleaning up the stuff that is muddying the waters.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Very cool to have the new classes live.

I'd suggest getting the website dropdowns updated as soon as the html monkeys have time because that's definitely gonna confuse potential new players when they're trying to make their first character.

Quote from: kroack on July 03, 2018, 02:00:43 PM
Very cool to have the new classes live.

I'd suggest getting the website dropdowns updated as soon as the html monkeys have time because that's definitely gonna confuse potential new players when they're trying to make their first character.

Great point.  I totally forgot to get that updated.

I'm seeing a bug ...

With an existing character, if from the login menu I hit "O" for class options, I only see the old classes, not the new ones.

Tried to bug it in game but it bugged one of the bracer's I was wearing.

Quote from: Miradus on July 03, 2018, 03:00:55 PM

I'm seeing a bug ...

With an existing character, if from the login menu I hit "O" for class options, I only see the old classes, not the new ones.

Tried to bug it in game but it bugged one of the bracer's I was wearing.

For accounts without characters who haven't logged in or for accounts who haven't logged into a character at least once this will look wrong.  I have it on my list to re-mediate this view as soon as I can manage.  If you don't have a character please login once.  If not then open a request and we can set it for you.

If you already logged in then please back out to the menu and you should see the right options at the O menu.

I think Nath meant to say....If you have a character, please log in once.  If you don't have a character, open a request and we will try to fix it for you.

Ah!

Yeah, logging into the character worked. I now see the appropriate options.

Should I be seeing the old subguilds available at 1 karma point? This is what I'm seeing:

Sub-classes:
a) Archer               d) Armor Crafter        e) Bard
g) Bounty Hunter        i) Caravan Guide        j) Con Artist
k) Crafter              m) Forester             n) Gladiator
p) Guard                q) House Servant        r) Hunter
s) Jeweler              u) Linguist             w) Mercenary
y) Nomad                aa) Outlaw              ab) Physician
af) Tailor              ag) Thief               ah) Thug
ai) Weapon Crafter      bu) Custom Crafter