Author Topic: Release Note discussion!  (Read 71482 times)

Dresan

Re: Release Note discussion!
« Reply #950 on: April 17, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
(Nessalin)
-Changes to allow race properties (from the SQL DB) to determine their abilities rather than so much of it
  being hard coded. This actually fixes several aspects to races that were never addressed.  Hopefully more
  of this in the future will give staff more flexibility and options in creating new and updating old races without
  requiring the intervention/assistance of a developer.

This is a cool change. I don't think the game can ever have enough antagonist races popping up. It might be interesting to see more mutated tribes.

I can't help but wonder what race issues this fixes but it seems this will make it easier to updates old races like city elves. Heh. Unfortunately most of the gripes with city elves are policy related not so much coded.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:54:39 PM by Dresan »
This message was brought to you by a fair weather player.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #951 on: April 17, 2019, 01:44:07 PM »
Every NPC has a race.  Things like skinning tables and stats are tied to race.

This isn't necessarily about PC races.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #952 on: April 17, 2019, 03:02:46 PM »
So would you say this is closer in cleaning up and continuing the meatcraft/hunting stuff as opposed to changing something among the PC races?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Riev

« Reply #953 on: April 17, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
So would you say this is closer in cleaning up and continuing the meatcraft stuff as opposed to changing something among the PC races?

I would assume its more about moving more code into a location accessible by non-coder staff.

If you tried to add a Khajit race to Arm right now, you would need to have a coder to access some of the flat files, and make changes that for all anyone knows, could break half the server if a blank line is entered.

At least, that's my assumption. More work on Coders now, so that Storytellers/Admins without code knowledge can update later.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Dresan

« Reply #954 on: April 17, 2019, 03:11:26 PM »
However it can be about the PC races so I  assume the code will make it easier to allow subguild cannibal to eventually become a possibility.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #955 on: April 17, 2019, 03:18:30 PM »
So would you say this is closer in cleaning up and continuing the meatcraft/hunting stuff as opposed to changing something among the PC races?

I maintain my question, Brokkr. I think I see what you mean, as in every Tembo, Rantarri, and salt-demon is an NPC. Could you please expand on what direction this tool change will likely be taken or allow for, in regards to the playerbase?

th3kaiser

« Reply #956 on: April 17, 2019, 03:39:00 PM »
Sounds like it's just general upgrading to make it easier when new races are requested. If you recall, we had some release notes about new races not too long ago. Now the builders can add in custom races with custom skinning tables on their own without resorting to anything but some quick SQL changes.

mansa

« Reply #957 on: April 17, 2019, 03:45:35 PM »

I maintain my question, Brokkr. I think I see what you mean, as in every Tembo, Rantarri, and salt-demon is an NPC. Could you please expand on what direction this tool change will likely be taken or allow for, in regards to the playerbase?

Old diku code had the variables of races hard coded.
If you wanted to add or change, you had to shut down and manually change the code.  If you change the code, you can potentially make loads of bugs and errors.

If it isn't in the code but in an external database, you could make changes and additions on the fly and it allows more flexibility.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #958 on: April 17, 2019, 03:53:31 PM »
I get it. I'm asking what we intend to do with it. It sounds really useful for a few past projects in particular.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 03:55:02 PM by gotdamnmiracle »

th3kaiser

« Reply #959 on: April 17, 2019, 04:14:25 PM »
My guess, it was a thing on someone's to-do list forever. And they got it done.

mansa

« Reply #960 on: April 17, 2019, 05:05:41 PM »
I get it. I'm asking what we intend to do with it. It sounds really useful for a few past projects in particular.

I feel like you're asking "why did you upgrade to Windows 10? What do you intend to do with it?"

My guess, it's a change in methods in order to reduce any bugs that may occur if there is a need to update race parameters.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #961 on: April 17, 2019, 05:13:41 PM »
Thanks for the reminder to use the Ask The Staff thread.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:24:32 PM by gotdamnmiracle »

Nathvaan

• Administrator
« Reply #962 on: April 26, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »

We continue to work toward migrating all legacy DIKU flat file structures to a database.  There are a number of valuable things this allows us to do including being able to fix errors on the fly without a reboot when they are data issues.  It also allows us versatility in how we approach new features in the future when we are decoupled from limitations around flat files and flat file formatting.

Basically, think of it as continued slow and laborious work toward future-proofing the game.

gotdamnmiracle

« Reply #963 on: April 26, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »

We continue to work toward migrating all legacy DIKU flat file structures to a database.  There are a number of valuable things this allows us to do including being able to fix errors on the fly without a reboot when they are data issues.  It also allows us versatility in how we approach new features in the future when we are decoupled from limitations around flat files and flat file formatting.

Basically, think of it as continued slow and laborious work toward future-proofing the game.

Appreciated. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Dresan

« Reply #964 on: April 28, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
> assess sunslits
You assess a pair of staff sunslits...
...it is primarily made of wood.
...can be worn in one's hair.
...can be worn on the eyes.
...looks like it will fit you.
...will protect your vision when worn over your eyes.
...it is very light.

This is a great change and I would really love to see this for all gear that improves skill because it isn't always easy to tell and it feels OOC knowledge rather than IC.

Maybe tied in with value skill or if you have the skill itself. Not sure if all skill improving are standardize but if not maybe with an adjective to tell how much it improves something by such as a little/noticeably/greatly

Feco

« Reply #965 on: April 29, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
Coders are fucking killing it.  Fuck yeah!
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

John

« Reply #966 on: April 29, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »
I always thought sunslits* provided a bonus to direction sense full stop. Iíve only ever seen direction sense used in a sandstorm.

Is that what this assess is talking about? Or is there sunlight damage we are all suffering that Iíve been oblivious to?

*sandslits? My original post got auto corrected and now I'm confused.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 09:04:28 AM by John »

John

« Reply #967 on: May 01, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
My fear just from seeing how Iíve had to run all over town and sell things to various vendors or do the buy something useful sell something barter method when they are out of coins is that we are going to have folks who are picking subguilds or even mainguilds simply to game the system in regards to cash flush business.
This has always been the case. I remember my first merchant who made it big was selling salt to an NPC that was massively being overlooked at the time to pretty decent profit (this was before the jal salt yards were introduced or other changes to the forage command). A few years back no-one was making bandages so I started turning a decent profit on those and then a few weeks later Lo and behold Iíve got other crafters muscling in on my NPCs.

These things come in cycles and in my experience are largely self correcting.

As for things being hard to find: it was a problem in the old system. I donít know how many characters Iíve hard who would give up their kingdom for either a set of lock picks or a mortar and pestle. I doubt the new system will change that. In fact, under serviced crafts could be a gold mine waiting for the right PC with coins persisting between reboots, thus making even this problem self correcting (where before it wasnít).

But I am glad to see what peopleís experiences are.

« Reply #968 on: May 09, 2019, 09:14:47 AM »
Lol

Code: [Select]
...is poison!
The ! makes it feel like I need to get excited
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

th3kaiser

« Reply #969 on: May 09, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
These changes lately are just amazing.

Namino

« Reply #970 on: May 09, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »
Lol

...is poison!

Especially when you realize this pile of dung... is poison!

« Reply #971 on: May 09, 2019, 09:37:50 AM »
Lol

...is poison!

LOL
You begin searching the area intently.
You look around, but don't find any large wood.
You think: "Story of my life."

Cerelum

« Reply #972 on: May 09, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »
Lol

...is poison!

Think Jimmy thinks heís gonna steal my girl!?
Hold dung
Poison throwing
You coat the knife with shit.
(Travel spam)
Throw knife jimmy e
(Travel spam)
(Later that day)
Tressy tressy aide says, ďDid you hear Jimmy was hit my a throwing knife smeared in shit?  It ruined his shirt! But heís fine.
Think FAILED AGAIN!
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

oggotale

« Reply #973 on: June 05, 2019, 05:46:56 AM »
"-Exits can now be set to represent ladders, which require at least one free hand to pass up/down through,
  although two free hands make the travel faster."

So, I can still climb the shield wall with my hands full but not up the storm's eye tavern?

Or is "ladder" here just a label, and even any "steep" room like the shield wall climbable rooms would be made to have "ladder" exits?

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #974 on: June 05, 2019, 08:12:35 AM »
"-Exits can now be set to represent ladders, which require at least one free hand to pass up/down through,
  although two free hands make the travel faster."

So, I can still climb the shield wall with my hands full but not up the storm's eye tavern?

Or is "ladder" here just a label, and even any "steep" room like the shield wall climbable rooms would be made to have "ladder" exits?

I imagine you can try to climb the shield wall if you have your hands full and the climb skill (which already penalizes you for having items in your hands), but you can climb ladders without the use of any skill.  So probably no to the second question.

Though if you hard-coded can't climb ladders with items in both hands, maybe dependent on a climb check, that does seem like an oversight.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.