Author Topic: Release Note discussion!  (Read 44612 times)

JohnMichaelHenry

Re: Release Note discussion!
« Reply #650 on: June 10, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
I think it is more an ability to separate ambient sounds of the current environment from sounds that shouldn't be there.

Edited to add: I do believe, however, conversations held in the wilderness should be part of this, if it isn't.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:07:12 PM by JohnMichaelHenry »
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
― Michael Scott, The Warlock

X-D

« Reply #651 on: June 10, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
I agree with Vox, it makes little sense to me, sound is sound...being good at telling what sounds are what in whatever noise is the same. I am as adept at telling if that is a deer or a squirrel in the woods at 40 yards as I am at listening to conversations in bars two booths away.

Also, wind...I do not have a problem with it being harder, but not at all? Come on.

Also...the sound of conversation tends to really travel in the woods when you are actively listening. I have heard people talking and thought they were on my property...go to check and find out they are 300 yards away down the hill 50 yards outside my fence. True, that is when the wind is blowing towards me.

Which, if you actually want to be realistic, Sound travels very well with the wind...make wilderness listen directional in all but the strongest storms. That would be cool. I have had people upwind of me 70 yards not hear when I fire a .22 rifle in a good 15mph breeze.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:15:28 PM by X-D »
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #652 on: June 10, 2018, 11:14:37 PM »
If it works like wilderness/city scan it's probably "it still works, but you're better at it in the correct environment."

So with desert listen, you aren't savvy Aide Amos, sidling up to Tressy and Talia to hear their bar conversation, but you might still overhear some of their chit-chat, or a guy trying not so well to follow you in the street. But, because you're Dusty McDunesman, you can hear a goudra sneaking through the brush at fifty paces, and sidle up on that encampment in the dunes to hear their plans for a dawn attack like nobody's business.

That's how I would assume it works based on the way wilderness vs city hunt and scan already work.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

stoicreader

« Reply #653 on: June 10, 2018, 11:33:28 PM »
Our ears can pick up thousands of sounds over a few seconds. What we choose to listen to is a matter of training.

This is why my spouse never can hear me.
Meh

Insigne

« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »
It'd be really cool if this change meant that some new utility (and skillup opportunities) for wilderness listen could be eventually added. It'd be neat if wilderness listeners, for example, got a message when a PC/NPC/mob entered or left one of the adjacent rooms.  "You hear sounds of movement to the west."  Things like that!
+1

In a similar line of thought, I'd love to see some kind of feedback when a stealthy attempt to enter a room fails. Something like 1) a hemote-esque echo:

Code: [Select]
The tall, muscular human arrives from the west.
(You notice he is trying to avoid notice.)

... or 2) a different room arrival echo:

Code: [Select]
The tall, muscular human stealthily arrives from the north.

Dar

« Reply #655 on: June 11, 2018, 01:32:06 AM »
I can foresee people losing ability to hear things during powerful enough storms, while people with listen still able to figure things out.

Cind

« Reply #656 on: June 11, 2018, 01:47:35 AM »
I was sort of meaning to take a break, but reading the last two pages has got me excited.

I am not confused because I sort of assume that the new listen skills will fall conveniently into place under the new skills system, much like riposte and hack will.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

sleepyhead

« Reply #657 on: June 11, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
I like Dar's idea, but I say take it a step further and make it so you have to shout in sandstorms to be heard, and even then only in the same room. The listen skill could give you a chance of hearing normal volume speech in the same room or shouts in the next room, but whispering and all that is out.

stoicreader

« Reply #658 on: June 11, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
I like Dar's idea, but I say take it a step further and make it so you have to shout in sandstorms to be heard, and even then only in the same room. The listen skill could give you a chance of hearing normal volume speech in the same room or shouts in the next room, but whispering and all that is out.
+1
Meh

nessalin

• Board Administrator
« Reply #659 on: June 18, 2018, 12:24:23 PM »
Latest release changes listen so wind speed reduces ability, does not block it.  Thanks for the feedback.
"I wanna be an architect"

deskoft

« Reply #660 on: June 18, 2018, 12:29:13 PM »
I love the fact that this factors into listen, but I haven't tested it!

azuriolinist

« Reply #661 on: June 18, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
Latest release changes listen so wind speed reduces ability, does not block it.  Thanks for the feedback.

This is awesome. I can't wait to check it out.

lostinspace

« Reply #662 on: June 19, 2018, 01:08:03 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place to discuss, but oh my, I'm loving the help file for Adventurer. "Help Adventurer" and "help adventurer branching" together let me know exactly what I'm going to get from the class.
3/21/16 Never Forget

WithSprinkles

« Reply #663 on: June 19, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place to discuss, but oh my, I'm loving the help file for Adventurer. "Help Adventurer" and "help adventurer branching" together let me know exactly what I'm going to get from the class.

This post actually prompted me to look at the files. Let me just say:

YAAAAS!

Love it! Dunno if this is currently being done, but mage subguild branching info would be useful too.

Brokkr

• Administrator
« Reply #664 on: June 19, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
Not really the place, but there is a plan to have a place soonish (next couple of weeks).

There are no plans to make magick any less mysterious.

KankWhisperer

« Reply #665 on: June 21, 2018, 03:37:00 PM »
Will city / desert elves still be restricted to certain classes in the new system?

Cind

« Reply #666 on: June 29, 2018, 11:21:57 PM »
Will city / desert elves still be restricted to certain classes in the new system?
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

mansa

« Reply #667 on: June 30, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »

I believe someone said
Criminal is City Elf
Wilderness is Desert Elf
General/City is Both.

Don't quote me on it.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Molten Heart

« Reply #668 on: July 03, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:23:54 AM by Molten Heart »

Nathvaan

• Administrator
« Reply #669 on: July 03, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
I'm so glad the new classes are live!

I noticed the CGPs are working now. I noticed I have less options now and I was wondering where I can learn more about how CGPs take to regenerate.

Thanks!

It is described in this staff announcement:

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52604.0.html

Examples:
  • Player has 3/3 karma, uses 3 for a mul now they have 0/3.  30d they move to 1/3 karma. 45 days later 2/3 and then 45 days more 3/3 for a Total of 4 months.
  • Player has 2/2 karma, uses 1 and now has 1/2.  30 days later they get that one back.
  • Player has 3/3 karma, uses 2 and now has 1/3.  Normally they would recoup 1 and 30d and one at 45 d.  But let's say this player has a character die after a couple weeks.  Now they are at 1/3.  If they spend that one, now they are 0/3 so the first point will take 30 days to regen and another 45d on the next point.

lostinspace

« Reply #670 on: July 03, 2018, 10:59:44 AM »
With the GCP functioning and the new classes in, when can we expect karma reviews to open up?
3/21/16 Never Forget

sleepyhead

« Reply #671 on: July 03, 2018, 11:02:11 AM »
My excitement and enthusiasm for the new classes (which is substantial) is matched only by my disappointment at the custom crafting changes. I just hope you guys will at least consider finding a way for magickers to CC in the future, because I feel like this is a big step back for making magick more interesting than just a bunch of coded spells. I know you felt it was rarely used, but magickers being able to CC opened the door for a lot more ritualistic/superstitious elements. I also get that this is supposed to encourage people to work together, but that's hard for gickers, especially when the crafts they want done are weird or esoteric in some way.

I know I've made this my pet issue and ranted extensively about it, but this is probably the last I'll bother complaining about it on the GDB. It's done and decided, and it was done and decided, it seems, long before I learned about it. I'm just holding out hope that you will keep your minds open to broadening who can CC a bit after you get a bit more data from the changes.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #672 on: July 03, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
Mad props. I’m anxious to try these out.
then the father hen will call his chickens home

mansa

« Reply #673 on: July 03, 2018, 11:36:24 AM »
I'm so glad the new classes are live!

I noticed the CGPs are working now. I noticed I have less options now and I was wondering where I can learn more about how CGPs take to regenerate.

Thanks!

It is described in this staff announcement:

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,52604.0.html

Examples:
  • Player has 3/3 karma, uses 3 for a mul now they have 0/3.  30d they move to 1/3 karma. 45 days later 2/3 and then 45 days more 3/3 for a Total of 4 months.
  • Player has 2/2 karma, uses 1 and now has 1/2.  30 days later they get that one back.
  • Player has 3/3 karma, uses 2 and now has 1/3.  Normally they would recoup 1 and 30d and one at 45 d.  But let's say this player has a character die after a couple weeks.  Now they are at 1/3.  If they spend that one, now they are 0/3 so the first point will take 30 days to regen and another 45d on the next point.

More news from Discord:
Nathvaan - Today at 10:38 AM
If you have 3 karma you could choose a desert elf wind travel (4 karma total) because it only looks at the highest karma option to decide how much karma it 'costs'.
Riev, the Rimbly Jimbles - Today at 10:39 AM
So. Simply.
"Karma options are not additive/cumulative"?
Nathvaan - Today at 10:40 AM
Correct.  It's not CGP.  We went a slightly different route when implementing.
Riev, the Rimbly Jimbles - Today at 10:41 AM
Thank you for not just linking me to help CGP or something like that. I don't know what help file would contain that information, but I assume thats not public knowledge?
Nathvaan - Today at 10:44 AM
It should be but it's probably not clear.  I'll work on that to make sure it's transparent.
audi - Today at 10:45 AM
FYI, you probably should just delete 'help cgp' (and the links to it) since that's confusing and cut-and-paste the stuff in the gdb link you gave me into 'help karma'; should cover your bases.
Nathvaan - Today at 10:46 AM
@audi Yeah, agreed.  That's part of what we will do when trying to make sure all this is transparent... cleaning up the stuff that is muddying the waters.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

kroack

« Reply #674 on: July 03, 2018, 02:00:43 PM »
Very cool to have the new classes live.

I'd suggest getting the website dropdowns updated as soon as the html monkeys have time because that's definitely gonna confuse potential new players when they're trying to make their first character.