Release Note discussion!

Started by Riev, January 16, 2017, 10:32:07 AM

And now it won't! (It was an issue in one specific locale in the game, so if you weren't there, you wouldn't have noticed it).
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on October 24, 2017, 04:39:13 PM
And now it won't! (It was an issue in one specific locale in the game, so if you weren't there, you wouldn't have noticed it).

It's tragically hilarious when it happens in areas where the guards DON'T ask why the jail can't be moved closer to the criminals.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

That was the nature of my question, guys.  I was trying to make sure that wasn't overlooked, because these are purposely vague.  I wanted to know if 'This doesn't happen anymore' translated to failures no longer occurring in the way that makes the skill advance.

I even gave permission to give me the violin if, codewise, it was a silly concern.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: James de Monet on October 23, 2017, 05:01:35 PM
If it's possible without giving too much of the mechanics away, can we get a little more detail about this:

Quote from: Nathvaan-Modification to add more detailed logging with regards to criminal behavior.

I'm kind of assuming this is in regards to IC criminal behavior.  If so, what prompted the change?  Is this an anti-code abuse measure, or a realism measure, or just for clan staff awareness, or...?

Yes, IC criminal behavior and staff awareness for sure. The logging that was in place didn't fully indicate what crime was committed as well as a few other useful tidbits.  Basically, adding this to the logging will make it easier for Admin staff members to research who did what crime, when and where etc.

Quote from: Nathvaan on October 26, 2017, 09:54:16 AM
Quote from: James de Monet on October 23, 2017, 05:01:35 PM
If it's possible without giving too much of the mechanics away, can we get a little more detail about this:

Quote from: Nathvaan-Modification to add more detailed logging with regards to criminal behavior.

I'm kind of assuming this is in regards to IC criminal behavior.  If so, what prompted the change?  Is this an anti-code abuse measure, or a realism measure, or just for clan staff awareness, or...?

Yes, IC criminal behavior and staff awareness for sure. The logging that was in place didn't fully indicate what crime was committed as well as a few other useful tidbits.  Basically, adding this to the logging will make it easier for Admin staff members to research who did what crime, when and where etc.

well that sounds just fucking useful! well done there!
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: lostinspace on October 23, 2017, 06:33:04 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on October 23, 2017, 11:59:17 AM
Quote-Modification to make it so a character wouldn't be 'caught' when latching and unlatching their own gear.

Does this mean there will be no fails with it, as well?  This could be detrimental to some who don't use it for thievery, with no way to improve.

If I'm misreading the change, just...play a fiddle at me.

Side question, does this mean that I can latch/unlatch my gear successfully without an equivalent skill?

To address all the questions about latch/unlatching minor change.  It shouldn't effect skill progression in any way unless you were using latch and unlatch on yourself to skill up by catching yourself, that's just silly.  There is no intent in any way to nerf thieves but as stated to make sure that people don't get arrested by catching themselves doing sneaky things.  If it turns out that there are unexpected side effects, rest assured the code will be tweaked a bit more as needed.

While we all love a chase scene with the Benny Hill theme in the background it's a bit absurd to catch yourself! (I literally sometimes start playing that theme when the Law starts chasing a criminal and I am watching!)

This change is akin to the code that disallows you to steal coins from yourself.

Hope that clarifies things!

Ohhh, I think I just read it in a different way.

I thought it was saying no one -else- could notice when you were latching and unlatching your own gear, which made it sound like failures were gone unless you were using it on someone else.

MAH BAD.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Nathvaan on October 26, 2017, 09:54:16 AM

Ah, cool.  Thanks!
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

October 30, 2017, 03:35:50 PM #233 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:56:48 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

The release notes look neat. I wonder if it will become possible for resourceful Indies to acquire wagons at some point...  ;D

Awesome stuff.
Quote from: Is Friday
If you ever hassle me IC for not playing much that means that I'm going to play even less or I'll forever write you off as a neckbeard chained to his computer. So don't be a dick.

I envision guarding a wagon across the desert will be suddenly a teeny bit harder! Yay!

Quote from: Hauwke on October 30, 2017, 07:58:14 PM
I envision guarding a wagon across the desert will be suddenly a teeny bit harder! Yay!

using the guard command on said wagon makes more sense now!

A Mekillot attacks a wagon
A day-1 runner leaps to a wagons protection!

A day-1 runner rolls a new pc
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I like the prompt updates.  Thanks for those.  If it's no hassle, it'd be cool to also have:

Hunger
Thirst
What you're watching
Cloaked
Where it will go

I like the direction of the wagon code updates. I hope it is indicative of broader plans to possibly make wagons more accessible to PCs who can afford them. If they're not invincible death fortresses, it opens up a lot of possibilities.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: SuchDragonWow on October 31, 2017, 02:53:23 AM
I like the prompt updates.  Thanks for those.  If it's no hassle, it'd be cool to also have:

Hunger
Thirst
What you're watching
Cloaked

Level of drunkenness
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Fredd on October 30, 2017, 09:15:02 PM

Wagons can now be attached?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on October 31, 2017, 08:59:35 AM

They're the newest, latest accessory put out by Kadius.  Never show up to a party without one.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Quote from: Pale Horse on October 31, 2017, 09:51:09 AM
Quote from: ShaLeah on October 31, 2017, 08:59:35 AM

They're the newest, latest accessory put out by Kadius.  Never show up to a party without one.

Touche.

Attacked, I meant ATTACKED obviously. Brat.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

To answer your question though: no

By the notes, it sounds like a standard wear and tear will occur on wagons and require actual repairs. Currently by an NPC script, hopefully soon by a PC as well.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

With regard to the skill level perceived drop, does that mean a guild that could at one point have submitted a custom craft will no longer be able to?

Quote from: Draechen on November 02, 2017, 12:56:03 PM
With regard to the skill level perceived drop, does that mean a guild that could at one point have submitted a custom craft will no longer be able to?

Good question!  Those that could submit a custom craft in the past can continue doing so.
"Unless you have a suitcase and a ticket and a passport,
The cargo that they're carrying is you"

Quote from: Riev on October 31, 2017, 10:09:57 AM
To answer your question though: no

By the notes, it sounds like a standard wear and tear will occur on wagons and require actual repairs. Currently by an NPC script, hopefully soon by a PC as well.

My reading is that this could be used to simulate wear and tear but will more likely be used DM style to apply damage to a wagon that suffers a mekillot attack, or a gith fire bomb. This makes wagons far more "playable" because they stop being invulnerable and staff don't have to rewrite room descriptions every time they want to simulate wagon damage.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

November 02, 2017, 04:10:48 PM #248 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:55:30 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on November 02, 2017, 04:10:48 PM
Would the wagon repair code be applicable to any of the currently wrecked wagons in the game? I'm meaning the ones littering the base of the Shield Wall, and the others scattered around. While it'd be sad and tragic to lose any of them, as they provide shelter for all kinds of interesting people and encounters, it'd be cool to have the possibility of repairing or salvaging one's own wagon should it accidentally fall into a shallow sinkhole, or something.

If they can be repaired, then maybe the others become stationary once they break down.
If the wagons happen to move around every now and then that only sounds like a good thing to me.
If Kadius repairs them all and leaves them in their wagon yard to stagnate for 50 ic years, that sounds terrible.
3/21/16 Never Forget