Gemmer Play

Started by Miradus, January 07, 2017, 01:39:19 PM

January 08, 2017, 03:00:04 AM #25 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:04:20 PM by wizturbo
It all depends on how you manifest.  If you choose to manifest in a violent eruption of fire in the Gaj...  you risk the world reacting accordingly and turning you into a bloody corpse.  If you manifest in a more subtle way, or choose a more appropriate place for your violent manifestation, chances of your survival when it comes time to being Gemmed are extremely high if you're cooperative.

People on these forums like to portray playing a Gemmed as a poor experience, mostly because the role isn't for them.  Just like many people hate playing certain races, playing a Gemmed is a different kind of experience that isn't going to appeal to everyone.  Like all roles, happening to play at a time where there are other great players around can make an otherwise dull experience amazing and vice versa.... 

My suggestion, if you're curious about the role, roll one up and give it a try.  Playing a human for a first Gemmed is highly recommended.  Joining House Oash if you can is also a pretty great way to get involved as well, with the added intrigue and in-game perks that come with that.  What exactly those things are should be left to find out IC, because it can be a lot of fun to see for yourself.

With all that said, I must say that the change of making magick guilds only subguilds seems to severely limit the Gemmed role in my eyes.  I personally will not intentionally play a Gemmed again, because where these changes were a quality of life improvement for an ungemmed magicker by making them able to blend in and be more than just a spellbook, it effectively did the reverse to the Gemmed's place in the world. 

One issue that some people may face is that a Gemmed is viewed by their very few employers as a magickal tool, and under the current guilds I think they'd be hard pressed to actually live up to that role.  They're a warrior/pickpocket/ranger/etc that's, but without enough magickal tools to play the "mage" role out in the open.  It would be like removing the pickpocket and burglar guild options from an elf...  Your role is often to be a thieving bastard, but you're stuck with subguild level skills to work with in that regards.  This might not be for everyone, but at the same time, it might be exactly what some people would find compelling.

Editted:  After further reflection I flip-flopped on this issue. 

This can be remedied by appropriately managing your expectations.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

January 08, 2017, 03:52:55 AM #27 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 03:57:49 AM by wizturbo
Quote from: Synthesis on January 08, 2017, 03:31:32 AM

True, but this is universally true of just about everything in life.  If your expectations are to play a "mage" role, you're probably not going to have a very fun time of things.  If you want to play a mundane whose been openly blessed/cursed with a handful of freaky powers, the role might be for you.

Quote from: wizturbo on January 08, 2017, 03:00:04 AM
It all depends on how you manifest.  If you choose to manifest in a violent eruption of fire in the Gaj...  you risk the world reacting accordingly and turning you into a bloody corpse.  If you manifest in a more subtle way, or choose a more appropriate place for your violent manifestation, chances of your survival when it comes time to being Gemmed are extremely high if you're cooperative.

People on these forums like to portray playing a Gemmed as a poor experience, mostly because the role isn't for them.  Just like many people hate playing certain races, playing a Gemmed is a different kind of experience that isn't going to appeal to everyone.  Like all roles, happening to play at a time where there are other great players around can make an otherwise dull experience amazing and vice versa.... 

My suggestion, if you're curious about the role, roll one up and give it a try.  Playing a human for a first Gemmed is highly recommended.  Joining House Oash if you can is also a pretty great way to get involved as well, with the added intrigue and in-game perks that come with that.  What exactly those things are should be left to find out IC, because it can be a lot of fun to see for yourself.

With all that said, I must say that the change of making magick guilds only subguilds seems to severely limit the Gemmed role in my eyes.  I personally will not intentionally play a Gemmed again, because where these changes were a quality of life improvement for an ungemmed magicker by making them able to blend in and be more than just a spellbook, it effectively did the reverse to the Gemmed's place in the world. 

A Gemmed is viewed by their very few employers as a magickal tool, and under the current guilds I think they'd be hard pressed to actually live up to that role.  They're a warrior/pickpocket/ranger/etc that's unable to join any clan that focuses on those kinds of play styles, but without enough magickal tools to play the "mage" role out in the open.  It would be like removing the pickpocket and burglar guild options from an elf...  Your role is often to be a thieving bastard, but you're stuck with subguild level skills to work with in that regards.  I hope that doesn't come off as too discouraging, but I wanted to show both sides of the coin on this issue.

+1!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I feel like if I start with the gem I'm "safe", at least from Templar justice.

Otherwise if I "manifest" the sand clinging to my feet someone is going to look at me and go, "Oh, we have enough Rukkians. To the arena!"

Quote from: Miradus on January 08, 2017, 06:12:13 PM

I feel like if I start with the gem I'm "safe", at least from Templar justice.

Otherwise if I "manifest" the sand clinging to my feet someone is going to look at me and go, "Oh, we have enough Rukkians. To the arena!"

As you might surmise from the other magick discussion thread active right now, the attitude is unlikely to be "we have enough of" anything if Templars are starting to notice the "changes." Rather, they're more likely to accept and gem you or kill you depending on other reasons, whatever those may be. Some might whimsically kill you.. that's unfortunate. It's avoidable though by just thinking about who they would want to gem vs who wouldn't make a "good" gemmed.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: wizturbo on January 08, 2017, 03:52:55 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on January 08, 2017, 03:31:32 AM

True, but this is universally true of just about everything in life.  If your expectations are to play a "mage" role, you're probably not going to have a very fun time of things.  If you want to play a mundane whose been openly blessed/cursed with a handful of freaky powers, the role might be for you.

What I meant was:  don't expect a gemmer to be a swiss army knife, and you won't be disappointed.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 09, 2017, 02:08:29 AM
What I meant was:  don't expect a gemmer to be a swiss army knife, and you won't be disappointed.

Yeah. That's reserved for us rangers.

Rangers are ridiculous in their utility. Only recently played a ranger with a long skill list and I had to up my pagelength to view them all.

Mages I no longer have to spend obscene amounts of time training in order to survive the world!

I like the changes and I've played my fair share of mgickers. I also love the magick aspect of the game. This just makes rogues and gemmed more scary imo.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

January 17, 2017, 09:38:37 PM #35 Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 10:10:30 PM by wizturbo
Upon further reflection, I think I've flip-flopped on my perspective when it comes to the potential for Gemmed subguild elementalists.  I think in many ways, it might make them more interesting and exciting to play.  As much fun as it might've been to be Lady Templar so-and-so's pet Krathi, that's only true for that one specific role.  I will miss that role, but there are some new niches that this opens up as well.  Perhaps the biggest positive is that the increased self sufficiency this gives most Gemmed reduces the need to form the power ranger Gemmed elementalist team to do stuff.

I would consider playing one.  I've even daydreamed about concepts.  That's a good sign. 

With that said, I still miss Drovians and Nilazi and the existence of 'full guilds'.  But my previous comments about what this means for Gemmed seem more shaky to me now.

Quote from: wizturbo on January 17, 2017, 09:38:37 PM
I would consider playing one.  I've even daydreamed about concepts.  That's a good sign. 

Please do. There's a serious shortage of male gemmed right now.  ;)

See, OP?  Mudsex!

They got u, fam.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

I actually have a concept for a gemmed, or at least subguild magicker, but its a weak premise at best, and its not something I SUPER want to play, compared to some other ideas.

I consider magick more of an accent to what may make sense for a primary guild. Its my code-brain telling me "BE A VIV AND NEVER NEED WATER AGAIN AHAHAHAH" rather than "Be a Vivaduan because throughout life you've always seemed to find water when you need it, but food was always elusive"
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 18, 2017, 09:32:55 AM
I actually have a concept for a gemmed, or at least subguild magicker, but its a weak premise at best, and its not something I SUPER want to play, compared to some other ideas.

I consider magick more of an accent to what may make sense for a primary guild. Its my code-brain telling me "BE A VIV AND NEVER NEED WATER AGAIN AHAHAHAH" rather than "Be a Vivaduan because throughout life you've always seemed to find water when you need it, but food was always elusive"

I have never had issues with that separation.

I want to do something codedly in game so I come up with a concept that supports that. I want to see how stoneworking plays out in-game? No problem. I draft up a character whose background explains why he's got those coded skills, how it impacts him, and how I plan to use them.

From a code perspective, I don't see filling up your waterskin with magic as anything different than the coded ability to greb up a bulbous sac. That's just code. I get to explain the details through roleplay.

It's really no different at all than what we've always done in roleplaying games. Don't over think it. You want to be a warrior with coded warrior skills and you don't stress about that, do you?

Quote from: Malifaxis on January 18, 2017, 09:09:09 AM
See, OP?  Mudsex!

They got u, fam.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

I used to hate playing Gemmed, but I've never tried these new subguild magickers. Maybe I'll give it a go some day soon.

I've seen some good ones, lately. They got their own thing going, but I feel like it's slow because most of the subguild gickers are out there on their own, being awesome, where they couldn't even try before.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.