Gemmer Play

Started by Miradus, January 07, 2017, 01:39:19 PM

Is playing a gemmer like playing in a house/clan/tribe?

I mean, do they do things together either as one big group or even just working with their own element? Are there rules? A subforum? That sort of thing?

Don't worry, bro. They do indeed mudsex.

I got you.
Whatever happens, happens.

There's people still playing gemmers?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Hrm. Those two answers are fairly informing in their own way.

It's very different from joining a clan, unless you join Oash's circle... which is joining a clan...

Gemmed culture changes with the whims of the current gemmed player base.  It's never entirely coherent, because there is often very little common ground between the various gemmed.  Other than the gem about their necks of course.
Sometimes that is enough to draw a group together, other times the cultural norms and prejudices push even these pariah further apart.
To the best of my knowledge there is no gemmed message board as it is not a clan, but there are other opportunities for gathering, so the players make of it what they will.
Spend ten minutes in the Gaj and it will be clear there are still folks playing gemmed.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

There are about 7-8 active gemmed PCs in Allanak right now. It's almost like playing in a clan as long as you're a social human, the only difference being no clan forum (yet) but it's easy enough to find each other. Just ask one gemmed PC about everyone else and make friends.

As for a clan, well... not really. But a gemmed 'clan' could be in the works. Join in and find out.

Quote from: Stardust on January 07, 2017, 03:18:11 PM
Just ask one gemmed PC about everyone else and make friends.

OR ENEMIES
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on January 07, 2017, 03:26:06 PM
Quote from: Stardust on January 07, 2017, 03:18:11 PM
Just ask one gemmed PC about everyone else and make friends.

OR ENEMIES

Bonus points for FRENEMIES

As long as you spend enough time online as a gemmed I am certain a gemmed will find your mind at some point. Its inevitable.

I've always thought the lack of a cohesive culture/clan/tribe/etc for gemmed was intentional, given what they are.

Every gemmed individual was at one point a non-gemmed individual. They all have their own backgrounds, their own experiences and beliefs, their own racial and cultural traits, and their own prejudices. Not all gemmed are from Allanak. Not all gemmed are human. Stuff like that. So it makes sense to me that they wouldn't necessarily be a tightly-knit group because while they may have one thing in common now, individuals wearing the gem might have only that one thing in common. Finding out the elf you hate is also a Vivaduan wouldn't make much difference to someone who hates elves, know what I mean?

Of course that can change over time as PCs and NPCs get to know each other and perhaps form new relationships now that their lives have drastically changed, but I think it makes sense for a sense of tight-knit community not to be the default.

I'd be all for more OOC aspects of clanhood for the gemmed though, simply for organizing-shit purposes.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on January 07, 2017, 06:12:43 PM
I've always thought the lack of a cohesive culture/clan/tribe/etc for gemmed was intentional, given what they are.

Every gemmed individual was at one point a non-gemmed individual. They all have their own backgrounds, their own experiences and beliefs, their own racial and cultural traits, and their own prejudices. Not all gemmed are from Allanak. Not all gemmed are human. Stuff like that. So it makes sense to me that they wouldn't necessarily be a tightly-knit group because while they may have one thing in common now, individuals wearing the gem might have only that one thing in common. Finding out the elf you hate is also a Vivaduan wouldn't make much difference to someone who hates elves, know what I mean?

Isn't this true for every clan you join without being born into it, though?  ;)

I sure had my share of conflicts with fellow clannies!

Not really. Even clan members who have conflict with each other (bynners or soldiers not getting along, etc.) still have the formal structure of the clan rules to operate within or against.

The Gemmed don't have anything like that beyond whatever the dominant PC of the day decides. There is no wrong personality or cultural play to a Gemmed. Just different ones.

There's just no real documentation I could find on them. Does the gem do anything to you? Make you feel a certain way? Give them control over you?

I tried to play one and lived about 2 days without ever seeing another gemmer. When I finally did I started asking some questions and felt like this guy:

If you've never played a gemmer then you probably shouldn't pick up a gem from starting equipment.  Get your gem and find out the rest IC.

That's not the only way?

Templar PCs can give you one but that would mean that your guy has just discovered his powers and/or now wants to submit to the law.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Ah. Every time I've seen a gick manifest powers anywhere the Templars had control, it was only a short time after that the Allanak bells would be tolling.

I didn't know there was any other outcome for that.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Quote from: Miradus on January 07, 2017, 10:28:24 PM
Ah. Every time I've seen a gick manifest powers anywhere the Templars had control, it was only a short time after that the Allanak bells would be tolling.

Same. Sort of the reason I've never tried playing one.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I kinda blame the starter room allowing you to get Gemmed for this, because the assumption is now that anyone who doesn't start with one is obviously just trying to kill everyone.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Miradus on January 07, 2017, 10:28:24 PM

I've never been executed for requesting a gem.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Requesting is one thing. What about like, randomly manifesting in the middle of the street and not -fully- understanding what's going on, and shoot firesnot from your nose after a (ic) Month of playing a character who suddenly found out they are a filthy witch?

(honest question, not trying to be snarky in any way.)

January 08, 2017, 01:16:49 AM #21 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 01:18:52 AM by WanderingOoze
Like, to clarify....I personaly haven ever played a gemmer. So starting out as one would be kind of hard to get into. But starting out as malik the chalton hunter, then suddenly feeling funky and shitting -magick- in game..scared to go up to a great templar like 'Hey, I want a gem" and trying their best to hide the fact until found out somehow.

I still feel like Im explaining myself poorly. I'm really just curious, no dickyness intended.

Visibly manifesting in public can indeed be dangerous but, like most other crimes, if you submit to the authorities, grovel, and maybe offer coin, you'll probably come out alive.

Quote from: Miradus on January 07, 2017, 01:39:19 PM
Is playing a gemmer like playing in a house/clan/tribe?

I mean, do they do things together either as one big group or even just working with their own element? Are there rules? A subforum? That sort of thing?

To answer the original questions:

1.  No.
2.  Sometimes.  Usually at the Templarate's behest, unless they're clanned Oash.
3.  Rules:  a) Do what the Templars tell you; b) Don't piss the Templars off
4.  No.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on January 08, 2017, 02:04:32 AM
Visibly manifesting in public can indeed be dangerous but, like most other crimes, if you submit to the authorities, grovel, and maybe offer coin, you'll probably come out alive.

I think this actually answers my question. Thank you. I've only ever seen it end badly, and publicly badly. Maybe I just get lucky and see when it goes wrong?