Back in action.....but, but, but....

Started by titansfan, January 05, 2017, 12:08:35 PM

Just coming back from a long hiatus from the game.  I've played super SUPER sporadically because I haven't been able to find a concept I absolutely love.  So, I'm curious to know some strategies or roles that have gotten people back on the bandwagon. I still love the game and am excited to jump back in,  but I think I just have a ton of ideas in my head and can't pick one.  Talking to others helps my processing!  Thanks in advance!

PS: Nothing IG sensitive please.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Honestly, don't pick something combat-oriented. If you want to "get into" the game, try for something that doesn't require you to spend 10days played to "git gud".

Be an aide, but a double-agent for another House. Work out of the Northlands as a Merchant who trades wood to Storm, and Obsidian to Morin's.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I routinely HATE all my new PCs. They're boring, I don't have their personality figured out, they don't have friends, and my play feels erratic and off putting. I struggle through the first three weeks, and by then I feel like I've got a handle on them and am drawn into their lives. So make sure you give yourself time to settle into your new PC before giving up again.

As you're coming back from a break, I'd suggest writing up someone with the intention of joining a clan. Any clan! It's much easier to get into the swing of a new character when you have people to play with.

I'm a very into the thick of things player.  I like being a part of things happening and that for the longest time is where I found my most enjoyable characters.  I appreciate the advice!
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

The first few RL weeks are tough for me too.  I find that my character comes to life through interacting with others, and it takes just that one other character to really make it click.

I tend to get my inspiration from a character in literature or on TV.  What if this person were plopped down in Zalanthas?  Things quickly spiral out of control from there.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

The political game in Allanak is on an uptick.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I recommend a character concept that makes you laugh at some level. If I don't laugh at least once during character creation at something ridiculous about my PC it's probably not going to last very long.

You usually can't go wrong with the Byn! Except when it's not active... but right now it is.  ;D

Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 05, 2017, 02:12:38 PM
I recommend a character concept that makes you laugh at some level. If I don't laugh at least once during character creation at something ridiculous about my PC it's probably not going to last very long.

I'm the same way. Most of my characters have to be somewhat amusing, at least to me, or I lose interest in them. And when I lose interest I start upping my risk factor trying to get it back until the inevitable happens.

Better all around if they're fun to play from the beginning.

Quote from: Miradus on January 05, 2017, 04:05:50 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on January 05, 2017, 02:12:38 PM

I'm the same way. Most of my characters have to be somewhat amusing, at least to me, or I lose interest in them. And when I lose interest I start upping my risk factor trying to get it back until the inevitable happens.

Better all around if they're fun to play from the beginning.

On that note, you could always consider playing something... weird. A midget Bynner! Or a half-giant bard who dresses in silks.

Quote from: Akaramu on January 05, 2017, 04:08:50 PM
On that note, you could always consider playing something... weird. A midget Bynner! Or a half-giant bard who dresses in silks.

A gemmed elementalist who is a pickpocket and a master bard! They use misdirection, sleight of hand, steal, plant and hide to achieve their "Magick"
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Even when I'm not playing something weird ... I'm something weird.

Quote from: Bushranger on January 05, 2017, 04:54:07 PM
Quote from: Akaramu on January 05, 2017, 04:08:50 PM

A gemmed elementalist who is a pickpocket and a master bard! They use misdirection, sleight of hand, steal, plant and hide to achieve their "Magick"

Along this line, a pickpocket who doesn't "steal" but uses plant and steal as a side-show act. Follow the ball, etc.

I did this once, but it didn't last long. Imagine ACTUALLY hiding that Wind of Truth up your sleeve, and then getting caught? Or did the OTHER guy get caught? Now if only you could force-roll dice.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.