In-game Titles: Questions

Started by Reiloth, December 29, 2016, 02:32:30 PM

I mean, without other gender indicating nouns available, I guess I will go Master and Mistress and call it a day. Full circle, i'm guessing even these might be inappropriate as they are honorifics, and now (as of today) honorifics are not allowed for Commoners.

From a game design standpoint, I would just open up 'da' and 'di' to be honorifics everyone can use for male and female.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Wow some folks seem really bent on being insulted.

Would there be an appropriate honorific to a Family Member of a Great Merchant House?  Say you don't know the Kuraci's name, but you do recognize the Family signet?  And wanted to introduce yourself, but didn't know if they were a Crafter, Merchant, Crew Leader, or where they fell in the Family pecking order?

So you walk up and say, "Excuse me (honorific/honorificess)?"  Or are they not afforded any additional nicety over another commoner as well?
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

I think I've gotten away with using "Merchant" in the past, Capital M. Hopefully it's read as injecting a proper gravitas in to the word, reflecting my PC's knowledge that this is a member of a Great Merchant House and not some rug-squatting bazaar swindler.

Always switched to the proper Job Title once it's known, at least for formal addressing.

Quote from: Armaddict on December 29, 2016, 03:45:21 PM
QuoteI do find it amusing that we're discussing proper title usage

I find it amusing that -this- was worthy of staff deliberation and action.  Mister and Miss.  Totally srs bizness.  Was breaking the theme.  Hard.  Needed to be nipped on the bud now, before it spread like a plague across the playerbase.

What you might not realize is that just yesterday I told someone in-game to refer to someone else as "Miss" whenever out in public. So maybe it was observed.

I get the fact that it's easier to just post an announcement before it spreads too far. And that's cool.

But what I'd like is a replacement. I can use replacements. Could we have some sort of general thread where everyone posts common phrases in use in the various cities? Like spicers in Red Storm say "Wormshit" as a curse or people from Luir's say something is as "solid as the shield wall" to refer to something old and durable, or trustworthy.

Not using honorifics is a very Allanak-sounding rule when half the game takes place outside of the walls.

QuoteNot using honorifics is a very Allanak-sounding rule when half the game takes place outside of the walls.

Valid.

I guess people elsewhere also refuse to acknowledge each other unless they know a title already or a name.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

We've had a couple of threads addressing "idioms" specifically. There may be more out there under different keywords.

Idiom
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,24312.0.html

Idioms in Zalanthas
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,30749.0.html

Zalanthan Idioms
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,48627.0.html

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 29, 2016, 03:54:28 PM
I think I've gotten away with using "Merchant" in the past, Capital M. Hopefully it's read as injecting a proper gravitas in to the word, reflecting my PC's knowledge that this is a member of a Great Merchant House and not some rug-squatting bazaar swindler.

Always switched to the proper Job Title once it's known, at least for formal addressing.

I was always under the assumption that 'Merchant', 'Agent' and 'Advisor' are perfectly fine.

Edit to add: 'Overseer' as well.

What would be a proper one to use if you meet a pretty non-descript person and you can't tell their title from what they're wearing/looking like and you want to maintain some civility?

'Hey you' sounds a bit rude..

'Excuse me, sir/ma'am' was a pretty good one for me to use :(
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

The churlishness and snideness several posters have displayed in this thread has reinforced an opinion I'm becoming more convinced of: the GDB is a community not really worth reading or participating in. It's better to just play the game and pretend people don't act like this.
It is said that things coming in through the gate can never be your own treasures. What is gained from external circumstances will perish in the end.
- the Mumonkan

Quote from: Malken on December 29, 2016, 04:13:36 PM
What would be a proper one to use if you meet a pretty non-descript person and you can't tell their title from what they're wearing/looking like and you want to maintain some civility?

I'd just go with 'excuse me'. Doesn't seem rude without the sir / ma'am added.

Quote from: Akaramu on December 29, 2016, 04:15:51 PM
Quote from: Malken on December 29, 2016, 04:13:36 PM

I'd just go with 'excuse me'. Doesn't seem rude without the sir / ma'am added.

Oh yeah, duh :) Guess I'm too polite irl.

By the way, when I'm in the south of the USA, a lot of female cashiers and strangers call me 'honey', maybe you're just playing with a lot of southern Americans heheh

Quote from: Large Hero on December 29, 2016, 04:14:42 PM
The churlishness and snideness several posters have displayed in this thread has reinforced an opinion I'm becoming more convinced of: the GDB is a community not really worth reading or participating in. It's better to just play the game and pretend people don't act like this.

You'd get scolded for not knowing not to call people certain things if you didn't read the gdb though.

December 29, 2016, 04:24:34 PM #62 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 04:27:41 PM by Armaddict
All of a sudden the stammering, but hard working kid telling the burly mercenary who strides past 'Yessir, I'll get outta the way' in response to his 'Fuck off' is bad roleplay.

Now, as per the documentation, you should be saying 'Yes mercenary' 'Yes human' or 'okay', none of which really sound that great as far as having the same feel.

Unless I'm overthinking it.  Which is the standard response when you throw up documentation about unimportant things that won't matter anyway.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I think "sir" is still valid, actually. Which is all I would ever need.

People were saying earlier that Sir and Ma'am were included in the list.

Quote from: Armaddict on December 29, 2016, 04:28:12 PM

You can say sir but not Sir.

Quote from: Armaddict on December 29, 2016, 04:28:12 PM

From the new documentation,

Words like mister, miss, and madam are not derived from anything in Zalanthas. Master and mistress are only used if a slave must refer to their owner.

From Cayuga's original post:

Quotesir (exceptions being military clans),

So I think you could safely call a Mercenary a sir, since he's in a military clan. >.>

Personally I'm of a mind similar to Large Hero to not worry about the GDB. I'm just going to play the game and let it get sorted out in player complaints or account notes. I trust myself not to use titles egregiously or anachronistically.

I also think this sums up Cayuga's initial post and GDB reaction pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BUnNfDCVWk

QuoteSo I think you could safely call a Mercenary a sir, since he's in a military clan. >.>

The 'except in military clans' makes the implied argument that it's an official 'real' title rather than an honorific, i.e. you are addressing a superior officer.

That implied argument goes away when it's from someone who is not an inferior in said clan, because that's all 'Sir' is in the first place unless you're referring to knighthood, which is -still- a military hat-tip of respect.  That's no longer allowed by this unless it is an actual title assigned to that person.

QuoteI also think this sums up Cayuga's initial post and GDB reaction pretty well.

I'd agree, if the original statement was closer to 'I've decided that it's now wrong to drive within eight inches of the double line on the road.'

Could a master of martial arts be called master? Or a caravan master? While they may not be the master of a slave, they are the master of something, and be the reason someone is showing them respect by addressing them as such.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on December 29, 2016, 04:39:20 PM
Could a master of martial arts be called master? Or a caravan master? While they may not be the master of a slave, they are the master of something, and be the reason someone is showing them respect by addressing them as such.

Who decides that so and so is a master of martial arts or a caravan master? It's not like there are guilds in-game where you get a certification of sort.

Quote from: Armaddict on December 29, 2016, 04:38:49 PM
QuoteI also think this sums up Cayuga's initial post and GDB reaction pretty well.

I'd agree, if the original statement was closer to 'I've decided that it's now wrong to drive within eight inches of the double line on the road.'

I think you really need a GDB break. You're being really ugly for no reason.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Malken on December 29, 2016, 04:42:22 PM
Quote from: Molten Heart on December 29, 2016, 04:39:20 PM

Who decides that so and so is a master of martial arts or a caravan master? It's not like there are guilds in-game where you get a certification of sort.

To me the term master denotes control or authority. So if someone is in control of or authority over something, that would make them a master.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

[notserious]It's okay to call your mudsex partner master if you're into BDSM![/notserious]