In-game Titles: Questions

Started by Reiloth, December 29, 2016, 02:32:30 PM

Quote from: Delirium on December 29, 2016, 03:12:17 PM
Quote from: Nergal on December 29, 2016, 03:10:39 PM
I explained why there is no documentation yet in my last post.

If that was directed at me, I meant my statement in the future tense.

As long as it GETS documented, I should have said.

No, it was directed at this post by Reiloth:
Obviously we all now know going forward not to use these words. But it does seem arbitrary when there is no original documentation to support it.

I'd just advise Staff to put the cart behind the horse next time. If a Player or Players are doing something that bugs you, reach out to them in private, don't just suddenly make an announcement as if they've been doing something wrong all this time when it's new documentation (that hasn't been written yet).
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

December 29, 2016, 03:18:55 PM #27 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:29:33 PM by Armaddict
I think trying to break trends via introducing new, targeted documentation that can be more encompassing than what you're trying to 'fix' is kind of a bad step.

It's not that I am stubbornly clinging to the titles (I don't...think I've ever used them...to be honest).  I just think more regulation is bad in a roleplay game where we are supposed to make things how we want.  Making a tentacle-headed professor of modern biology goes against documentation; a character who refers to people as Mister is not really an issue, and your efforts to succinctly explain why in documentation are probably more likely to -create- an issue elsewhere. (edit:  To clarify, the mutant professor was there as a comparison between when things are likely to cause an actual issue to the game, and one where you can dislike it, but it's not harming anything or anyone IC or OOC).

This really is not a big deal worthy of any attention whatsoever aside from a polite prod of 'We think your proclivity for using these terms might be pushing a theme we aren't a fan of, could you break the habit?'.  And that's...if it's even worth that.

Edit again:  As it stands, the way I imagine this topic being breached is one person on staff either agreeing with a randomly submitted complaint or seeing it themselves, saying it bugged them, and an echo chamber of staff-friends agreeing that it should no longer happen.  While that may make sense to you, as a consensus, it's also kind of a 'sensationalist' way of administrating a long-reaching roleplay experience.  I mean...this same process is the same way you could decide to write up documenation that makes tressy-tresses karma required due to the squalor of the world.  Seriously.  Just because you all don't particularly like something doesn't mean you should throw up rules about it.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

December 29, 2016, 03:19:29 PM #28 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:23:05 PM by Bushranger
Just as long as long as we can keep using the titles "Oi you", "Idjit" and "Dimwit" then I'm all peachy :)

I haven't seen staff call anyone out specifically, or call anyone names, or slap any one down for this so I don't see what they big deal is. A reminder that "Mister/Miss" are anachronistic and let's try to be original is making people salty? WTF?
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

My only famous PC had mister as part of his name. Why'd you retcon me bro?

What I find more jarring is being called 'honey' ingame - by complete strangers trying too hard to pretend they're nice people.

No matter what character I play, this always creeps them out!

Quote from: Bushranger on December 29, 2016, 03:19:29 PM
Just as long as long as we can keep using the titles "Oi you", "Idjit" and "Dimwit" then I'm all peachy :)

I haven't seen staff call anyone out specifically, or call anyone names, or slap any one down for this so I don't see what they big deal is. A reminder that "Mister/Miss" are anachronistic and let's try to be original is making people salty? WTF?

Because it isn't a reminder if no one told you before.

Seeing a post like that, and to see 'staff consider it an unfavorable mannerism' and all this strong rhetoric, while not having any clue that's the case, makes it seem like I might be unknowingly garnering unfavorable attention! That can be frustrating.

Communication is a two way street, and we happen to have a great way to communicate between Players and Staff: the request tool.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Hello, kittens.

I just wanted to gently remind you all that words like madam/sir are anachronistic to the setting. One should refer to fellow commoners by their job titles or simply their names as opposed to, 'miss, sir, madam, ma'am,' and other, gender specific titles. The exception of this, of course, is for Ladies or Lords, Templars, or tribal titles documented elsewhere.

Thank you for your adherence and happy playing!

Who cares?

If someone's running around tipping their surmac and saying "m'lady" just fucking PK them for being an idiot.

Quote from: Reiloth on December 29, 2016, 03:27:25 PM

Seeing a post like that, and to see 'staff consider it an unfavorable mannerism' and all this strong rhetoric, while not having any clue that's the case, makes it seem like I might be unknowingly garnering unfavorable attention! That can be frustrating.

Communication is a two way street, and we happen to have a great way to communicate between Players and Staff: the request tool.

We have a saying in french that pretty much translates to 'You are looking for bad intentions where there isn't any.'
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

::)

Can't wait to see -this- judgment roleplayed out in-character for the first time.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Reiloth on December 29, 2016, 03:16:14 PM
I'd just advise Staff to put the cart behind the horse next time. If a Player or Players are doing something that bugs you, reach out to them in private, don't just suddenly make an announcement as if they've been doing something wrong all this time when it's new documentation (that hasn't been written yet).

If we wanted to contact anyone specifically, we would have. The issue is that players interact with others. If we inform the players doing something we don't like in view of other players, that solves half the problem. It doesn't solve the other half of the behavior becoming acceptable and spreading out.

Nergal I think you left out the military exceptions which, at least in my experience, are the only times I've seen "sir" or "ma'am" get used. And the preference has always been for "sir" regardless of sex.

There's something about this whole impetus that strikes me as deeply irritating, though I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the "no titles, except for this very large list of exceptions." Makes me wonder what people were actually doing wrong. Presumably something stupid like my neckbeard example.

Quote from: Nergal on December 29, 2016, 03:32:44 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on December 29, 2016, 03:16:14 PM

If we wanted to contact anyone specifically, we would have. The issue is that players interact with others. If we inform the players doing something we don't like in view of other players, that solves half the problem. It doesn't solve the other half of the behavior becoming acceptable and spreading out.

If it's a new trend, and only a few people are doing it, how does that not stop the behavior?

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Malken on December 29, 2016, 03:31:24 PM

We have a saying in french that pretty much translates to 'You are looking for bad intentions where there isn't any.'

Probably translates to "Mister" and "Misses" in english.

~Jack Vance~

I'm not sure how I could possibly be clearer. Once you do something in-game it's been witnessed by other players. It has the potential to spread. We can't contact you AND everyone you've ever interacted with in the time it would take to write an announcement and helpfile.

Quote from: Reiloth on December 29, 2016, 03:35:15 PM

Probably translates to "Mister" and "Misses" in english.

We could always go the French Revolution way and insist that everyone be called 'Citizen Amos' or 'Citizen Talia' no matter their title!

December 29, 2016, 03:38:24 PM #42 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:43:16 PM by BadSkeelz
I do find it amusing that we're discussing proper title usage when, to my knowledge, there still isn't a page anywhere saying commoners in Allanak should bow to Templars and nobility.

If there had been I would certainly have bowed to the first Templar I met and not wasted time addressing her as "m'lady" (which was quickly and humorously corrected as being improper in-game on multiple levels).

Edit: Maybe we can expand the new title page to "Titles and etiquette"?

Quote from: Cayuga on December 29, 2016, 02:54:31 PM
Do you think, truly, that a grebber is worthy of a title of miss or mister?

How big is his sword and how wounded am I already? :)

I almost never use "mister" but I liberally throw around "Miss" when I want to show respect to someone. It's a Southern thing. It may be anachronistic, but there's a LOT of anachronistic stuff we do in game. I feel like if we yank all of it away I'm going to be hard-pressed to express myself and be spending more time on what I think might be acceptable rather than focusing on the scene at hand.

Is it... "Lâche pas la patate!"?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

QuoteI do find it amusing that we're discussing proper title usage

I find it amusing that -this- was worthy of staff deliberation and action.  Mister and Miss.  Totally srs bizness.  Was breaking the theme.  Hard.  Needed to be nipped on the bud now, before it spread like a plague across the playerbase.

Also.  I think that two players who use Miss and Mister consistently should be investigated for OOC information sharing.

Hello male gendered individual of lower economic caste and impure racial heritage!

Dudes, don't be trolly.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on December 29, 2016, 03:44:58 PM

Is it... "Lâche pas la patate!"?

'Cherche pas des bébittes là ou il n'y en a pas!'

December 29, 2016, 03:48:58 PM #49 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:51:49 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: boog on December 29, 2016, 03:46:28 PM
Dudes, don't be trolly.

Would it be trolly if the commoner PCs who used "miss" and "mister" among themselves were summarily executed by the Templarate for attempting to usurp noble privileges?

I'm serious. Just looking for a fun social engineering angle to use in game :D