Reactions to the Witch Subguilds

Started by Cind, December 27, 2016, 12:44:14 AM

Quote from: Akaramu on December 27, 2016, 03:30:52 PM
Make some of them 8 karma if you feel it's necessary, but pretty please bring them back.

This is a very nice idea. Before the change, every mage you met had a limited range of skills but powerful spells. Now, every mage has a class, but also limited number of spells.

There can (and maybe ICly should) be people whom are very talented with elemental magick. Bringing back old classes but at much higher karma level can be very fun and lead to interesting results.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -MT

Quote from: AdamBlue on December 31, 2016, 04:17:09 AM
I think full karma elementalists are balanced as they were for years by being basically just that; a magic battery with a subguild. With the subguilds we have these days, they're solid, in my opinion.

A magicker/gladiator is basically a mini warrior, but you can be a warrior/magicker that is an absolutely different playstyle.

(...)

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

But... full guild elementalists aren't an option anymore  :'(

December 31, 2016, 11:26:47 AM #52 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:44:50 AM by Harmless
this is correct, possibilities no longer endless. They have been decreased by a factor of 2^7, i.e. divided by 128.

Also, 8 karma is too high of a minimum cutoff for some of the elementalists. At least a few options should be more like 6 karma give or take. Thanks to special apps allowing that 3 karma of wiggle room.

my math is probably wrong
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Comfortably Dumb on December 31, 2016, 04:11:37 AM
Quote from: Synthesis on December 31, 2016, 02:50:58 AM
Personally, I think being a magicker is a WHOLE LOT MORE FUN now, which is really all that matters, quite frankly.

I haven't had a chance to play a subguild mage yet, but this pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Mine too.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

December 31, 2016, 02:53:54 PM #54 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 03:22:21 PM by Dresan
Magicker sub-guilds is one of those things that so far seems to work better on paper. While I'm hoping somethings might have changed, i'm going to lead towards they haven't.

1. Magick code was not designed around mundanes.

In short you will never corner a ranger and suddenly have them throw on a spell. Those coded restrictions on spells were designed perfectly for full magickers but less so as sub-guilds.

2. Spell effects last a long time and plenty of people can either see or detect it.

Since there is no way to dispel or stop spells that last a while, you can find yourself isolated a lot or just not using your abilities at all.   This is one of those things that has always been true, but perhaps because of the times changing, I feel this hurts more than before. Instead of doing something social, the person is isolated. I think this hurts the game more than helps.

3. Magick is not that scary anymore.

The game is small, and people are still twinks and talk a lot OOCly. Unless you aren't using your abilities at all, expect someone to find you, and then have many people in the game know too. People will find your mind and accuse you of being that karthi you fireballed their friend last week, or just suddenly accuse you of being a magicker despite having done no magick. Yes word will spread like wildfire that you are a magicker, and thus weaker than a warrior/slipknife. Also because people are low level twinkies they will try to kill you,even if they know you are a scary magicker. They will try to kill you even if that means getting you to go into their apartment, because they know OOCly magickers are not scary, and that killing people in their apartment has no consequences.

Anyways despite this I really like the idea of magick sub-guilds and I still  think it was the right move, but it does needs some small design changes to balance it out with the overall game. Also some of the ruk/vivadu sub-guilds should probably be moved to three karma.

I honestly think every Ruk and Viv aspect should get a create spell. But beyond that, I think they're all alright. Maybe a few spells could be tweaked, but, I like that this change allows for less overtly powerful, magickal beings.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on December 31, 2016, 03:25:42 PM
I honestly think every Ruk and Viv aspect should get a create spell. But beyond that, I think they're all alright. Maybe a few spells could be tweaked, but, I like that this change allows for less overtly powerful, magickal beings.

not having creation spells was a huge reason why I haven't reached for any of those subguilds. I hope I don't ever have to, after having played that tier of magickers (ruk/viv) in their mainguild form, what they've been changed to is so disappointing to me.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I feel like one of the full viv aspects should be one karma, and one of the ruk 2 karma aspects should be three. I'm thinking one of the spells you start with in a krathi touch should be modified, as was the case for the water touched, who originally started with a spell that seems above their pay grade for just starting out. That has been fixed though.

If drovians come back as subguilds, I think their ability to be impossible spies should be high karma.

Without drovians and nilazi, it feels as though one of the most routine large plots in the game is gone. Occasionally, some nilazi, sorcerer or otherwise powerful rogue, but rather often a nilazi, would gather strength and attack the Arm or some other organization, but often the Arm, from their fortress of solitude somewhere, which might be in Storm because main guild witch.

I know such plots are still possible and have happened in the last year but that's a huge amount of effort and a month and a half of casting in order to inevitably die to the Arm and have your head piked. I mean, sure, its load of fun until then--- but I'm one of those people who want some slim chance at survival, and this seems like a waste of a special app when you can just go play a normal raider.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

I've honestly been so relieved not having Drovians in game. They were game-breakingly OP when it came to discovering information wholesale. There was basically no risk involved for them, and they became the ultimate Spymaster.

The game seems much more mysterious and dangerous now without them in it, and without that information or knowledge being so easily obtained. At least IMHO.

#fuckdrovians
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Psionicists are the better spies, and still ingame  :P

I really, really hope they don't get removed too. Playing one was a very rare opportunity for me to actually know about the fun stuff that was going on. I don't prefer a setting where everything is behind the scenes all the time. It's why I didn't enjoy playing in Tuluk.

Also, risk of discovery = more suspense = more fun.

Quote from: Akaramu on December 31, 2016, 05:44:50 PM
Psionicists are the better spies, and still ingame  :P

I really, really hope they don't get removed too. Playing one was a very rare opportunity for me to actually know about the fun stuff that was going on. I don't prefer a setting where everything is behind the scenes all the time. It's why I didn't enjoy playing in Tuluk.

Yeah, Psi's are still in game, but they also have a very real risk of being discovered when they use 90% of their abilities. Drovians could literally just fart around in the Ethereal Plane with little to no danger 100% of the time, and slip to any location they wanted, and learn anything they wanted from any conversation. It was pretty dumb. I'm glad they're gone.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

My one Drovian never reached that point, so I wouldn't know, but I suppose you're right. Maybe Drovians could make a comeback with a small nerf to that one spell... something that makes its use about as risky as the use of psi skills is?

Quote from: Akaramu on December 31, 2016, 05:44:50 PM

Agreed. It's why I like to plot in public at a private table somewhere instead of just using Way back and forth. Let's give those ledge listening rangers a chance to get in on the action.

Quote from: Akaramu on December 31, 2016, 05:54:59 PM
My one Drovian never reached that point, so I wouldn't know, but I suppose you're right. Maybe Drovians could make a comeback with a small nerf to that one spell... something that makes its use about as risky as the use of psi skills is?

I've played a crazy amount of drovians and I agree that it's quite very easy to reach the point where you become the best spy in the game. Especially if you are a gemmed drovian and can cast spell and [redacted] from the safety of your temple. Even the stuff that you needed for certain spells were easily available in the city itself.

My very few psionicists on the opposite were freakin' disasters because no matter how cautious I was I always ended up being discovered in the lamest of ways ;p (kudos to those who can play psis for a very long time!)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Psi Intercept 2017

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Their biggest issue was basically being state-sponsored by the Templarate and Oash. You then felt handicapped because those two entities (and whoever else decided mingling with magick was cool) had the best spies in the game. #storiesofaborsail

The removal of the class was easily my favorite part of the subguild changes.
Whatever happens, happens.

Quote from: Malken on December 31, 2016, 06:20:00 PM

I've played a crazy amount of drovians and I agree that it's quite very easy to reach the point where you become the best spy in the game. Especially if you are a gemmed drovian and can cast spell and [redacted] from the safety of your temple. Even the stuff that you needed for certain spells were easily available in the city itself.

My very few psionicists on the opposite were freakin' disasters because no matter how cautious I was I always ended up being discovered in the lamest of ways ;p (kudos to those who can play psis for a very long time!)

I could never imagine you playing a psi. I love you, Malken, and you play a damn fine Tuluki zealot (and other things!), but holy shit. I could just see you taking all of my character's quiet things and shouting them at them, just because. ;)
There is only one boog.

Drovians are terrible and anyone who plays a drovian is a terrible person.

As someone who played a Borsail spymaster for a few years who was indirectly involved in the death of a few Drovians, there were some equalisers. Namely murder and copious mundane eyeballs on the city.

But in all seriousness, I miss the Drov/Elk/Nilaz guilds for thematic reasons a lot. However, if their skillsets have been distributed to sorcerers that's hunky dory with me. I mostly miss the thematic idea of Nilaz being a sort of anti-element or a natural balance to elemental power. That from a lore perspective was something I always enjoyed exploring. However, I can also see from a "we are playing a game" perspective why staff made the changes they did, and overall I agree with them.

What matters to me is that staff have openly tweaked this stuff since originally announcing it, as per a couple updates I've seen on the weekly update. If you feel like something is particularly broken or under or overpowered, I'd suggest sending them a request, as they have seemed pretty receptive to feedback about this stuff. Of course requesting doesn't guarantee anything, but unless a staffer corrects me, I've been told in the past that they appreciate getting reports on the ground every now and again from players about how game change stuff is working out.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on December 31, 2016, 06:43:17 PM
As someone who played a Borsail spymaster for a few years who was indirectly involved in the death of a few Drovians, there were some equalisers. Namely murder and copious mundane eyeballs on the city.

Hehe, I remember two summers back when for some really weird reason the Quarter was populated with something like eight Drovians at once.  The running joke was that the Drovians had better move fast and gain a sponsor, because everyone wanted to kill them.  (I think it was back to the normal two or three after about two weeks, come to think of it.)

The thing about Drovians was that, unlike other magickers where you had to actually RP getting cast on / interacting with them casting, you could hire a Drovian and not have to deal with the icky bit of magick.  Hence, they were more employable than pretty much any other elementalist save Whirans perhaps.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I'm glad a certain Drovian spell is gone.  It was too easy.

I'm not glad Drovians are gone.  I think Drov and Nilaz elementalist were interesting and unique additions to the game, and I really wish they were still around.  I think a lot of Drovian spells would make really, really neat subguild spells.

This is also true of Elkros, but to a lesser extent.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: boog on December 31, 2016, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: Malken on December 31, 2016, 06:20:00 PM

I could never imagine you playing a psi. I love you, Malken, and you play a damn fine Tuluki zealot (and other things!), but holy shit. I could just see you taking all of my character's quiet things and shouting them at them, just because. ;)

hence the ending in disastrous ways disclaim  :P
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Everyone is a hidden magicker now.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I dunno. I've seen some cool things as a result of this! It's not really a bad thing. Hidden magickers is neat, because now people can't guild sniff so well.

"You don't do anything right or well, Talia. What the fuck? Are you a gick or something?"

(Well, actually...)
There is only one boog.